is one of my graphics cards dying?

samule

Oct 17, 2012
AMD phenom 2 B55 unlocked @ 3.6 ghz
2X XFX 6850 crossfire
6 gigs of 1600 memory
catalyst 12.10 drivers

ok, today i was playing MW2(i know stupid and old) but i consistently used to get 91 FPS everywhere. then i randomly looked at my Fraps and saw it was dropping at certain points in maps to 60 sometimes even 50 fps. so then i turned on afterburner just to check out utilization on both cards, i ended up with about 40% on both cards, not great but i mean its an old game. and a port so w/e. i turned off crossfire not by choice but when i cleaned out old drivers to install the new ones it turned it off, like it always does. and anyways i tried it out, never dipped below 91 fps, in the same maps at the same spots.

im not noticing any artifacting and i can garuntee i didnt overheat either card. but im just wondering could it finally be kicking the bucket?

ive noticed on AC brotherhood that i get anywhere between 40-80 fps, which i think it should be higher than that, i know my CPU is old and that could be the issue but i would really like to know if these are symptoms of an aging graphics card.

Edit: i just played a game of BF3 with afterburner running, got 40-60 fps on canals 32 player, 66% utilization on both cards...so idk if its a driver or just poor crossfire scaling

Last edited:

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
the 12.10 cats are only 5 days old per AMD's download page.

My bet is some kind of software issue, not hardware.

samule

Oct 17, 2012
ok, I mean I know crossfire doesnt always work well with certain games, especially ports it was just weird because I did a defrag yesterday and after that it just kind of went to shit. I didnt think it was hardware either because nothing out of the ordinary was happening but i just needed some clarification, so thank you

curse you AMD driver man.