Is Odell Beckam Jr all that? Maybe not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

11thHour

Feb 20, 2004
He's is a great receiver, but it seems not as great as it appeared. Never heard of 'one hand' gloves until now, but they are to today's receivers what stickum was to lester hayes (without the slathering.) I doubt his spectacular one-handed grab in the end zone last year would have been possible without the use of one, and likely many more spectacular catches around the league.

The league is "investigating"...

Espn video

It's fun to watch, but so was Barry Bonds hitting 73 homers. It's not the same as a PED, and it takes a lot more than gloves to be a great receiver (and it took more than ped's to be a great hitter), but I hate to see records fall from new innovations making something significantly easier than previous generations.

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
He's is a great receiver, but it seems not as great as it appeared. Never heard of 'one hand' gloves until now, but they are to today's receivers what stickum was to lester hayes (without the slathering.) I doubt his spectacular one-handed grab in the end zone last year would have been possible without the use of one, and likely many more spectacular catches around the league.

The league is "investigating"...

Espn video

It's fun to watch, but so was Barry Bonds hitting 73 homers. It's not the same as a PED, and it takes a lot more than gloves to be a great receiver (and it took more than ped's to be a great hitter), but I hate to see records fall from new innovations making something significantly easier than previous generations.

Gloves don't create separation from a cornerback.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Seems to me he's using the same material/clothing that is available to every other receiver in the league. Hardly cheating if that is the case...although it does give them all an advantage over yesteryear's pros. So yes, he is all that. He is awesome. I just watched him be awesome last night, and it was awesome.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seems to me he's using the same material/clothing that is available to every other receiver in the league. Hardly cheating if that is the case...although it does give them all an advantage over yesteryear's pros. So yes, he is all that. He is awesome. I just watched him be awesome last night, and it was awesome.
:cool:

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

Yeah, since he's not using something the other receivers aren't the difference is him! He does practice one handed catches and there are times you can not reach with both hands so it's either a one handed catch or no catch at all.

I doubt there are many teams that wouldn't want him!

Brian

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I can only imagine the amount of whining that will happen if the NFL bans these gloves.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, the throw of a high school quarterback to a high school receiver is no different than the throw of a professional QB to a professional receiver. Therefore, the functionality of the gloves must be the same between high school and the NFL.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I'm imagining the Giants without him. Their record would probably be worse than the Browns.

Status
Not open for further replies.