is oblivion like deus ex?

Apr 17, 2005
I'm thinking of getting oblivion on ps3 but i'm not really into rpgs. Deus ex was great and its a 1st person RPG and so is Oblivion, but how do the two compare?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
One has guns, the other has swords and magic.
One is mostly dungeons or outdoors, and free roaming, the other is more buildings and less free-roaming.
One is comparatively linear, one is not so much.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Short answer: No

[*]They are both first person (Oblivion allows for third person)
[*]Greater emphasis on dialog, character development in Deus Ex
[*]Deus Ex has far more interesting characters and story
[*]Oblivion has a far larger world with more freedom
[*]Oblivion has far more "side quests"
[*]Dialog interaction has greater depth in Deus Ex
[*]Oblivion is prettier by far (but one can expect that being that it is much newer)
[*]Deus Ex's interface and controls are far better than oblivion (at least on the PC)
[*]Deus Ex takes place in urban environments, Oblivion is a mixture of country, cities, and caves
[*]Interaction with NPCs is far more interesting in Deus Ex
[*]Oblivion has a kind of "level scaling" and thus the loot only gets good when you get in the later levels, Deus Ex plays more like a FPS in this regard
[*]Counting side quests and travel time, Oblivion is a much longer game

I consider both first person shooters with action RPG elements. I think everyone here will agree that Deus Ex is a much better game than Oblivion, but they are really very different in how the action RPG elements are incorporated. Not to mention the vast difference in the setting.

If you want a great first person shooter / action RPG that is just as good (if not better) than Deus Ex, see if they made a Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines PS2 port.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
not everyone will agree with you ... DE had a lot of pointless running back-and-forth across the maps with a 'grocery list' to make it longer :p

interaction with NPCs in Shivering Isles IS more interesting than in Oblivion... at least the Devs addressed Oblivion's biggest fault.

i also recommend VtMB ---it is the "DE of Vampire Games" ... Source Engine gfx ... pretty good and great story and urban setting with real "dark atmosphere"
... i just got sick of being a vampire ... eventually [just like in Oblivion]
--VtMB rips DE off .... very well

make SURE you patch it

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
interaction with NPCs in Shivering Isles IS more interesting than in Oblivion... at least the Devs addressed Oblivion's biggest fault.
I have not played Shivering Isles, that is good news.
make SURE you patch it
Quoted for truth, VTM: Bloodlines was rushed out by Activision and released in an unfinished state. Anyone that has yet to play it, heed these words: apply the last official patch (1.2), then the community patch. The community patch is a must have.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Not really. They're pretty far apart whereas Deus Ex is a 'linear' action/adventure with GREAT RPG elements in it. Oblivion is straight free-form RPG.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I have not played Shivering Isles, that is good news.
make SURE you patch it
Quoted for truth, VTM: Bloodlines was rushed out by Activision and released in an unfinished state. Anyone that has yet to play it, heed these words: apply the last official patch (1.2), then the community patch. The community patch is a must have.

Shivering Isles may be slightly better than the original Oblivion story in that regard (it should be considering that there are *far* fewer NPCs involved), but the dialogue is still stilted, delivered by the same handful of voice actors, and the quests are still of the go here and kill this/get that variety.

Oh yes, and the vanilla game looks like ass compared to one with QTP3 and modded character meshes and textures.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
not everyone will agree with you ... DE had a lot of pointless running back-and-forth across the maps with a 'grocery list' to make it longer :p
I see.....
And this differs from Oblivion how?

Whitecloak

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: apoppin
I see.....
And this differs from Oblivion how?

:laugh:

UF Matt

May 20, 2007
Deus Ex was great, but was definitely more linear. Sort of a combo FPS/RPG. Oblivion gives you more freedom. If you have a PS3, I'd have to say Oblivion is a must-have game. Great graphics and plenty of game time.

Apr 17, 2005
would oblivion run decently on my computer (see sig)? cause its prolly a lot cheaper for pc and more customizable.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
would oblivion run decently on my computer (see sig)? cause its prolly a lot cheaper for pc and more customizable.

It will run, but not very smoothly unless you play at pretty low resolution. I played through it with my old system which was an Athlon 3400+ at 2.4 Ghz, and my same video card. It bogged down fairly often outdoors, but was fine indoors. My current system is much smoother, although I still really can't go past 1440 x 900 in resolution. Having 2 GB of RAM helps a lot as well. So in summary it will play on your system, but will stutter when there is a lot of action on the screen, and you'll be wishing you had a better system so you can crank up the graphics, since the scenery is one of the best aspects of the game.