Is Obama really a bad president?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What say ye!

• Good

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I think he is the Greatest ever on the basis that he passed Obamacare and that provides the possibility of solving poverty. Free Birth control frees women from the indentured servitude that is motherhood and makes it a choice. This will decrease abortions and save us all money in the long run. (it also helps education as there will be fewer to educate, jobs as there will be smaller job market.)

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
So Michael could not get by on Wiener but Anthony not only could, but could get people to want it as well?

aMAZing.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Is "it" the clap? Crabs? Pink-eye?

I'm just hoping I can "House" you and diagnose whatever it is that's wrong with you.

Be careful, if you do it as House does you will certainly get a dozen or so infractions in a matter of moments. ;)

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
IMO for the situation he is in he did pretty good. Of course he isn't perfect and you can never underestimate the amount of emotion citizens have when you are making decisions that is in the right direction but will hurt most people's current situation (health care, national debt, etc).

IMO he is trying, but the power of health care giants, big pharma, and the rights are so big that he wouldn't be able to do more or do the right thing.

Romney isn't evil, but he will be in the same difficult situation that he will be a puppet of the radical right if he gets elected, and that would means he's going to be a worse president than Obama whose hands are tied to both sides.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
Not really...I'd say B- overall. He's good, but not great. I think that we can do better, but anyone that could do better has the sense to stay out of politics. The current republican candidates, as a matter of the policies that they support get a D or F by comparison.

Indeed. To be honest if it is the 80s I'd probably be a moderate right GOPer but with this generations of GOP, despite I'm not into big welfare, I'd vote all Democrats just to make sure I can keep these nutters away.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
If Obama were working with the Congress in the 80s and 90s that didn't appear to want to kill each other, I'd give him a C-. He could have done a lot more and if this is all he had to show for it, it would be rather disappointing. However, working with what he has which is two sides that hate each other to the core, I give him a B-.

I think lots of people fail to remember their classes in American government. While 50 votes is all it takes to form a majority, it takes 60 to form a filibuster-proof super majority and avoid the minority party from taking the Senate hostage. So to say that the President could have passed anything he wanted in the first 2 years of his term is inaccurate.

I think history will judge him as being the anti-Bush who worked to correct all of the horribleness Bush gave us: 2 wars, massive deficits, worst depression since the 1930's, huge unpaid tax cuts, etc. At the very least, he appears to be calm, level headed, and appears to respect his opposition (the same could not honestly be said for the other side, which is downright hostile at this point). We'll see.

One other thing, at this point, I would take John McCain over Mitt Romney as president any day of the week. One person I respect, the other I do not. The amount of violent fervor on the right is like a dark demon that wants to spring loose. It cannot be tamed. John McCain purposefully fought against it (and lost). I'm afraid Romney would try to tap into it to win.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
poll is fail--doesn't really address your question.

Is he a bad president? No. Is he a great president? no. Is he a good president....probably not.

...He's a president. Like all the others.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
poll is fail--doesn't really address your question.

Is he a bad president? No. Is he a great president? no. Is he a good president....probably not.

...He's a president. Like all the others.
So - do you think it's still possible to have a great President? I'm thinking that government is so big, so intrusive, and so powerful that we can't have, say, another Reagan, let alone a Lincoln or a Washington, because even something relatively benign like rebuilding the military affects SO many other things. Our debt has grown too huge to add on any big ticket items. Government supports so many people (and will continue to support even more due to Obamacare and the aging baby boomers wanting to retire) that significantly cutting government isn't something that can be done painlessly. And since we're collectively enamored with using the armed might of government both to enrich ourselves and to enforce our will on others, anything significant that a President does is going to piss off roughly half the country. I think we may have evolved government to the point that mediocrity is the only possible outcome.

Apr 27, 2012
If Obama were working with the Congress in the 80s and 90s that didn't appear to want to kill each other, I'd give him a C-. He could have done a lot more and if this is all he had to show for it, it would be rather disappointing. However, working with what he has which is two sides that hate each other to the core, I give him a B-.

I think lots of people fail to remember their classes in American government. While 50 votes is all it takes to form a majority, it takes 60 to form a filibuster-proof super majority and avoid the minority party from taking the Senate hostage. So to say that the President could have passed anything he wanted in the first 2 years of his term is inaccurate.

I think history will judge him as being the anti-Bush who worked to correct all of the horribleness Bush gave us: 2 wars, massive deficits, worst depression since the 1930's, huge unpaid tax cuts, etc. At the very least, he appears to be calm, level headed, and appears to respect his opposition (the same could not honestly be said for the other side, which is downright hostile at this point). We'll see.

One other thing, at this point, I would take John McCain over Mitt Romney as president any day of the week. One person I respect, the other I do not. The amount of violent fervor on the right is like a dark demon that wants to spring loose. It cannot be tamed. John McCain purposefully fought against it (and lost). I'm afraid Romney would try to tap into it to win.

barrack HUSSEIN obama still supports many of the same laws that GWB brought in and he continued the wars. He is a continuation of George Bush yet people act like hes the saviour who fixed everything which is false. The liberal media protects obama even when he screws up

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I think he is the Greatest ever on the basis that he passed Obamacare and that provides the possibility of solving poverty. Free Birth control frees women from the indentured servitude that is motherhood and makes it a choice. This will decrease abortions and save us all money in the long run. (it also helps education as there will be fewer to educate, jobs as there will be smaller job market.)

not sure if serious... D:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The man is a horrible president and he believes government can fix the problem when it only makes it worse.

As well the middle name tells a lot about him and his parents as well as his attitude to America. Many Americans dont know about his middle name and need to know this, why does the media hide this?

so basically...you're a fucking idiot.

got it.

No insults or personal attacks in P&N.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So - do you think it's still possible to have a great President? I'm thinking that government is so big, so intrusive, and so powerful that we can't have, say, another Reagan, let alone a Lincoln or a Washington, because even something relatively benign like rebuilding the military affects SO many other things. Our debt has grown too huge to add on any big ticket items. Government supports so many people (and will continue to support even more due to Obamacare and the aging baby boomers wanting to retire) that significantly cutting government isn't something that can be done painlessly. And since we're collectively enamored with using the armed might of government both to enrich ourselves and to enforce our will on others, anything significant that a President does is going to piss off roughly half the country. I think we may have evolved government to the point that mediocrity is the only possible outcome.

lol, Reagan? Government is fucking huge BECAUSE of Reagan. Look at the man's actions, not his honeyed words.

Government is all up in your ass expressly because of Reagan. Stop believing the myth.

:D

But Healthcare reform has its obvious flaws (the mandate, first demanded by republicans, now declared unconstitutional by republicans. ...try to wrap your head around that one), but it's a sight-load better than what we had going on.

Few people seem to understand that more than half of its policies have yet to take affect, so judging based on any results is preposterously stupid. It's a start, and as such, it needs to happen.

I agree with the bolded.

:thumbsup: and :\

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
not sure if serious... D:

I am serious. I think that Obama took a giant leap of faith in trying to get to the root of the a fore mentioned problems. He used up a good bit of his political cache in passing Healthcare that speaks to all the various ramifications that I spoke of. It is a (quoting Joe Biden) "A really big F*.*n Deal!"
People paying for services that they receive by way of the mandate is a great idea that allows folks to get billed for what they need and is already being paid for by the rest of us. (emergency room bills for what can be described as routine maintenance and as hospitals cannot turn you away, there needs to be a system in place to avoid malingers and manipulators)
Obama saved Detroit.
Obama had Bin Ladin killed.
Obama has closed account in Iraq and has an exit plan for Afghanistan.
Obama help perpetrate a government change in Middle East without sending in the Army.
Obama restored our International relations that had been marred by Cowboy tactics of going it alone.
Obama has stood up to constant criticism and has not faltered despite Congress going off the rails and basically declaring war on him. (Mitch McConnell saying making Obama a one term president his top priority.)

I know it will be a close election. I hope for the best. Please go vote. Get your friends involved. It is still about Hope vs Fear!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I am serious. I think that Obama took a giant leap of faith in trying to get to the root of the a fore mentioned problems. He used up a good bit of his political cache in passing Healthcare that speaks to all the various ramifications that I spoke of. It is a (quoting Joe Biden) "A really big F*.*n Deal!"
People paying for services that they receive by way of the mandate is a great idea that allows folks to get billed for what they need and is already being paid for by the rest of us. (emergency room bills for what can be described as routine maintenance and as hospitals cannot turn you away, there needs to be a system in place to avoid malingers and manipulators)
Obama saved Detroit.
Obama had Bin Ladin killed.
Obama has closed account in Iraq and has an exit plan for Afghanistan.
Obama help perpetrate a government change in Middle East without sending in the Army.
Obama restored our International relations that had been marred by Cowboy tactics of going it alone.
Obama has stood up to constant criticism and has not faltered despite Congress going off the rails and basically declaring war on him. (Mitch McConnell saying making Obama a one term president his top priority.)

I know it will be a close election. I hope for the best. Please go vote. Get your friends involved. It is still about Hope vs Fear!
Michelle?

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Michelle?

Yes you are correct!
Let us not forget Michelle. A well grounded, smart woman who tries constantly to do the right thing. Her and Barack make a great team that is attempting to turn the tide of history. Not with platitudes but with attitudes. Big problems require big solutions.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The president can not even pass a budget!

The only thing the president can really say he did is he put thousand of Coal Electric Plant Employees out of a job.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

The only thing the president can really say he did is he put thousand of Coal Electric Plant Employees out of a job.

Strange... I never knew it was the job of the Executive Branch to pass anything. To sign/enact things, sure, but not to pass. Oh, that's right... you're talking about the Legislative Branch to which the President is not a part of. :p

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007

Great, now they can go work at wind farms.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah.

I guess we have to stop making buildings out of glass so we do not have so many birds thwacking into them?

This Eagle Death call is something to be aware of, but other things (Dioxin?) were, and still are, more of a threat than a wind-driven propeller.

ESPECIALLY when you start putting them out at sea. You know, like up by the Kennedy Compound, where somehow they have bionic vision and can see 10 miles out to see and refuse to put in an oceanic wind farm........