Is Obama in reality a pragmatic centrist in the mold of George H. W. Bush?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
As a Conservative an Obamarama administration would be disastrous for the nation IMO.
A disasterous Administration didn't stop you from voting for Bush a second time.

Hey look another duhversion attempt.
Hey look a brush off of a valid retort to a hypocritical statement.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
As a Conservative an Obamarama administration would be disastrous for the nation IMO.
A disasterous Administration didn't stop you from voting for Bush a second time.

The thread is about HWBush and BHO. You have something to say about that or do you more duhversionary quips about Bush?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

The thread is about HWBush and BHO. You have something to say about that or do you more duhversionary quips about Bush?
I was talking about HWBush, you did vote him twice didn't you?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I remember Romney pointing out that McCain got liberal points for the McCain-Feingold billd. It blew my mind, and made it pretty clear to me that those ratings are ridiculous.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As a Conservative an Obamarama administration would be disastrous for the nation IMO... but your scenario would be make a bad situation less sucky... however I don't buy the idea of him being a pragmatist or a centrist.

Who could blame you. You and millions of other idiots who actually did believe and vote for a disaster and self proclaimed centrist got your collective ass bit. Had you any intellectual honesty about yourselves or organic shame you should be terrified even to vote. The only thread you should post in is the one where you apologize to the rest of America you could be such a colossal fool.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I was talking about HWBush, you did vote him twice didn't you?

:roll: nice try.

No, I didn't vote for him twice- I was too young.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
As a Conservative an Obamarama administration would be disastrous for the nation IMO... but your scenario would be make a bad situation less sucky... however I don't buy the idea of him being a pragmatist or a centrist.

Who could blame you. You and millions of other idiots who actually did believe and vote for a disaster and self proclaimed centrist got your collective ass bit. Had you any intellectual honesty about yourselves or organic shame you should be terrified even to vote. The only thread you should post in is the one where you apologize to the rest of America you could be such a colossal fool.

Hey look another duhversion attempt. Did the pharmacy run out of BDS pills?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I can't honestly defend myself so I'll use the old BDS reply.
:thumbsup:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

:headupass;
Yes... we know. You and moonie can't figure out that this thread is about obamarama and HWBush - not GWBush. You should try reading and staying on topic sometime...especially given your status...

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

Cant really ben any worse than the past 8 years.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

Yes... we know. You and moonie can't figure out that this thread is about obamarama and HWBush - not GWBush. You should try reading and staying on topic sometime...especially given your status...

You stated what a disaster he would be for the nation, we are merely saying how can it POSSIBLY be worse than what we have had in the past 8 years.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: cliftonite

Cant really ben any worse than the past 8 years.
Not mutually exclusive.
Just because a Republican activist president with a Republican rubber stamp Congress was a disaster does not mean that a Democrat activist president with a Democrat rubber stamp Congress won't be.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: cliftonite

You stated what a disaster he would be for the nation, we are merely saying how can it POSSIBLY be worse than what we have had in the past 8 years.

Right, and I was on topic - you, red, moonie are not. My comment was about BHO within the topic of the OP. GWB is not a subject of the OP.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Hey look, CSG just played "the Poster is a Moderator" card. Nice try, especially when you know that since I've replied in this thread I'm not allowed to sanction you for a Mod call out, not that I would anyways. Talk about "Duhversion":laugh:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Well, somebody let me know when the Republicans decide to run a REAL conservative for President. Otherwise, you're getting Obama for giving us 8 years of GW Bush, whether you like it or not.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I remember Romney pointing out that McCain got liberal points for the McCain-Feingold billd. It blew my mind, and made it pretty clear to me that those ratings are ridiculous.
McCain-Feingold is campaign finance "reform" that the right hates, of course he got liberal points from it.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Well, somebody let me know when the Republicans decide to run a REAL conservative for President. Otherwise, you're getting Obama for giving us 8 years of GW Bush, whether you like it or not.

We tried. :(

:D

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I don't think we get Obama for 8 years.

He has all the makings of Carter part 2.

Also recent experience tells us that when one party rules both the Presidency and the Congress they make a mess of things and turn it right back over to the other party.

Clinton had both houses of congress for two years and made a mess of things and turned control back over to the Republicans. Newt and congress then moved the country to the right for the rest of Clinton's term.

Bush did similar, it just took him longer to give control back over to the Democrats. But it looks like the country will move to the left for a bit. But eventually the Dems will push to much spending or tax increases or too many government programs and the country will move back to the right.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Healthcare?? Didn't Bush create Medicare Part D?? Not sure I think of that as a 'right wing' thing to do.
No Child Left Behind? Written by Ted Kennedy, not exactly a right winger.

Also, the majority of what the President and Congress does is spending.

No one talks about the Clinton legacy when it comes to "judicial nominations, taxes, abortion, stem cells, gay marriage, the military, the environment, government regulation, health care, social security" instead they talk about his spending and how the budget was balanced while he was in power.

I suspect that if Bush had controlled domestic spending and kept something close to a balanced budget his Presidency would be viewed in a very different light.

You're actually right about medicare part D, I'll give you that. As far as NCLB goes, are you crazy? When looking at the president's implementation of it there is a very strong case for him using that as a back door attempt to privatize the public education system. (which seems to be working by the way, shouldn't you be happy?)

Tons of people talk about the Clinton legacy when it comes to those other things, we constantly hear from you guys about Hillarycare, how he raised taxes, etc. But that's not important... don't try to shift this discussion to Clinton. I asked you before to name a president you considered more right wing then GWB. I can think of one or two that would compete with him in either foreign policy, economics, or a social sense, but I can't think of anyone that has his combination of all 3.

You should be happy about this Pro-Jo? Nobody is perfect, but you've had the hardest right wing president in history in power for 8 years. Isn't that what you wanted? I for one can't believe you're even trying to argue that GWB isn't a hard right conservative. That boggles my mind.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Also recent experience tells us that when one party rules both the Presidency and the Congress they make a mess of things and turn it right back over to the other party.

Clinton had both houses of congress for two years and made a mess of things and turned control back over to the Republicans. Newt and congress then moved the country to the right for the rest of Clinton's term.

Bush did similar, it just took him longer to give control back over to the Democrats. But it looks like the country will move to the left for a bit. But eventually the Dems will push to much spending or tax increases or too many government programs and the country will move back to the right.

Please enlighten us with the 'makings of Carter part 2'.

Here's my guess: You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, and trying to predict presidential performance from a campaign is a fool's errand even for those who do.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Which even if remotely accurate is still better than GW Bush part 2 which is what we'll get if McSame is elected.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
The Professor really should be on Fox Noise.

The surveys cited don't have the validity of randomized double blind studies because left and right are meaningless relative terms until you define the neutral center.

How can you do that? It's not like you can take the extreme left, extreme right, divide by 2, and get an objective definition of neutral center.

(and that says nothing about the fact that everyone one of these surveys, both left and right, probably has a political agenda, rather than a real desire to seek out truth / fact / or even anything that is genuinely quantifiable).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Which even if remotely accurate is still better than GW Bush part 2 which is what we'll get if McSame is elected.

Yeah really. I think our current situation is best described here on track #6. You have to listen through to the end though.

But I mean are people really worried about Carter right now when someone is promising to continue the policies of Bush? Jesus... I can't think of anything more important in American politics right now then preventing anything even remotely resembling GWB from ever occupying the White House again.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Prof John is McCaddy2.

I don't think that pointing to the fact that some posters have a knack for being always wrong is a thread diversion when they haven't the organic shame to question their own judgment. These folk are like weather vanes that have been screwed on backwards.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
You should be happy about this Pro-Jo? Nobody is perfect, but you've had the hardest right wing president in history in power for 8 years. Isn't that what you wanted? I for one can't believe you're even trying to argue that GWB isn't a hard right conservative. That boggles my mind.
You still don't get it.

A hard right conservative would not create another massive government program in the form of Medicare Part D.
A hard right conservative would not have increased domestic spending at the rate Bush did.
A hard right conservative would not have pushed for amnesty for millions of illegals.
A hard right conservative would not have allowed Ted Kennedy to write his education reform bill.

Bush did not even run as a hard right conservative. He claimed to be a 'compassionate conservative.'