is nvidia's marketing the biggest reason as to why their products cost more?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
i dont think so.

and that's because nvidia has always gone beyond microsoft's min specs while amd (and ati before) has generally gone for max performance/transistor while giving fewer special features and also allowing even less choice in the drivers, so the latter has never really gone above microsoft's min specs (which have f***ed pc gaming at least in my opinion because an ihv should benefit more from their relations from developers rather than having their product specs based upon what some other company demands)... the only time ATi and AMD really went above microsoft's specs was with AA+HDR in the X1800 series, eye-finity, and having decent multisampling in R300, but then 6x msaa was worse than the 4x msaa, and 4x msaa wasnt and still isnt as good as 3dfx's VSA-10x (t-buffer) modes were which were available 2 years before the R300 came out.

im not saying that nvidia is perfect because i hate their drivers as much as anyone ever could, but i think it's silly to say that their marketing is why they charge more... in addition to more r&d expenses as are related to what i mentioned above, they probably also employ more people.

and it's not even like nvidia's marketing is even as outstanding as, say, Sega's marketing was in the early and mid 90s... ive also never paid attention to nvidia's advertising, their style, brochures, etc. i also knew that TWIMTBP was never more than 50% about marketing (rather than leading to a superior product), but that dev relations were required just like they were for the console makers, unlike many people who thought it was just to spread their image or to lock ati out.

but if you disagree with this op, then let me know why you do. hard figures about polls asking people how much, when, and why marketing affects their purchases and a company's profits are desired too.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Marketing is certainly a big part of it, but it's also R&D as well. NVidia spends more money on R&D than AMD I'm certain, which consequently is probably why they tend to innovate more.

Also, as a result of marketing and spending more money on R&D, NVidia has the advantage in terms of perceived value. NVidia cards are often priced higher than comparable AMD cards, even if they are slower.

If the greater perceived value factor was not true, then NVidia would not be able to do that and get away with it. Fact of the matter is, NVidia cards come with a lot of additional perks and benefits, so it's not just about delivering higher FPS like some people think..

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Their products cost more because they reach their target revenue and net margin on their products at the set price points.

Also when they have a clear advantage/no competition for a period of time, they can charge whatever the market will bear. Bring in some competition, and they are forced to innovate and/or drop prices to match the market.

AMD isn't a charity, they can only charge what people are willing to pay. You think they want to be giving away CPUs? Or Charging $399 for a card that is as fast as one that was supposed to be $600+?

AMD dropped the price of the 290x at the last minute. Reviewers actually had to re-write their reviews to take into account the new launch MSRP. Until recently, 7990 was priced as high as anything else.

I paid a pretty penny for my 7970.

Last edited:

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Nvidia got spoiled selling nForce chipsets... They raped oem's on pricing.. They raped MS on the xbox pricing and now they rape the cell phone market the same way. Nvidia is a large company that will probably take on Intel one day... Nvidia can charge more because people will pay for their latest stuff. The sad thing is, without competition, Nvidia will rape your wallet... You need companies like Amd unless you can justify in your head that it's worth spending $699 on their card...

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
It's partly marketing. It's also partly experience. I read a lot about users who had a bad AMD experience x years ago and thus they are now fully committed Nvidia for life. So Nvidia, over history, has had better drivers and people support them for that.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Nvidia got spoiled selling nForce chipsets... They raped oem's on pricing.. They raped MS on the xbox pricing and now they rape the cell phone market the same way. Nvidia is a large company that will probably take on Intel one day... Nvidia can charge more because people will pay for their latest stuff. The sad thing is, without competition, Nvidia will rape your wallet... You need companies like Amd unless you can justify in your head that it's worth spending $699 on their card...

AMD is (or was) no different. When the Athlon64's first came out, they were priced for wallet rape because of Intel's lack of competition.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Just as an aside, you guys (and I can tell you are guys) use the word "rape" way too lightly. We are talking about PC hardware prices here. Think for a second about what rape actually means. Surely there are better metaphors you could have used.