Question Is now the time to buy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Been keeping my eye on various places since I've needed to build a new PC for many years but I absolutely refused to pay $3,000 for a card that should only cost $750. I was notified from Newegg last week that many of the 3080 Ti cards have hit below $1,500 and with the 4000 series just around the corner, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to grab a card now and start building a new rig or wait until the new series hits the market. I've seen speculation that the 3000 series will jump back up in price as well as people claiming they will fall further.

I'm willing to spend upwards of $4,000 - $5,000 on a new PC, but I refuse to spend that much on just the damn GPU.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If the next gen is 1 year away and the current prices are staying as they are then I am probably going to pick one up. But if the wait is less than 6 months I might wait.

Edit: Aren't the refreshed 6900 XT just released and doesn't it indicate the next release is later than 6 months? Also comparable NV cards (3070 and 3080) are way more expensive. I see the cheapest 3070 ti at $700 on Newegg. Regular 3070 $600.

First cards are looking like September or October but that could easily be pushed back because of inventory.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Holding on to inventory in a rising interest rate environment is not as easy you might think it is.

Maybe, but if that is code for fubar'd supply chain and really short on hand supplies then we'll be back to scarcity pricing at launch, quickly depleted queues no human can participate in, scalpers and @moonbogg rolling around on the ground throwing an adorable tantrum. I mean, that last part I sorta look forward to as it is usually good for a chuckle on my end.

I don't know how much inventory it takes to minimize that, but it sounds like it isn't happening.

If anything, people wanting a new gen card this fall should be telling everyone else NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY. If we really help build up 4-8 months of latent demand it only make it all worse, and the new cards will seem like value stinkers because of the old new stock that is finally rotting on shelves.

I think keeping the 3060/3070 at 8GB was genius, as it will be easy to cast them aside as nvidia due to their "small" frame buffer.

I am thinking we'll see a hard push via influencers and media outlets setting 12GB as the new minimum for any "serious" gamer about the time new $800+ 4070 is widely available. ;)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe, but if that is code for fubar'd supply chain and really short on hand supplies then we'll be back to scarcity pricing at launch, quickly depleted queues no human can participate in, scalpers and @moonbogg rolling around on the ground throwing an adorable tantrum. I mean, that last part I sorta look forward to as it is usually good for a chuckle on my end.

I don't know how much inventory it takes to minimize that, but it sounds like it isn't happening.

If anything, people wanting a new gen card this fall should be telling everyone else NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY. If we really help build up 4-8 months of latent demand it only make it all worse, and the new cards will seem like value stinkers because of the old new stock that is finally rotting on shelves.

I think keeping the 3060/3070 at 8GB was genius, as it will be easy to cast them aside as nvidia due to their "small" frame buffer.

I am thinking we'll see a hard push via influencers and media outlets setting 12GB as the new minimum for any "serious" gamer about the time new $800+ 4070 is widely available. ;)

I'll be yelling at clouds while doing circles on the ground like Homer. Regarding that 4070 price, I simply have to wonder at what point does demand start to wane? If miners aren't a factor this time, then seriously how many gamers are going to get excited and actually buy an $800 4070? I also expect them to come in high around that price, and they will sell, but in what numbers? I'm sure Nvidia will have all sorts of smart excuses like supply chain this, inflation that, blah blah. But if the card is just too expensive then how will their excuses put money in people's pockets? You're telling me a high school kid or someone just out of high school is going to pay $800 for a GPU to play COD? $800 used to be way high in the clouds kind of pricing, like super halo pricing. Now it's just basic mid range pricing because Nvidia has excuses? Help me understand because I can't. The price increase of GPUs has left inflation in the dust, it's not even close.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'll be yelling at clouds while doing circles on the ground like Homer.

YES THIS IS WHAT I WILL COME BACK TO THE FORUMS FOR.

Regarding that 4070 price, I simply have to wonder at what point does demand start to wane? If miners aren't a factor this time, then seriously how many gamers are going to get excited and actually buy an $800 4070? I also expect them to come in high around that price, and they will sell, but in what numbers? I'm sure Nvidia will have all sorts of smart excuses like supply chain this, inflation that, blah blah. But if the card is just too expensive then how will their excuses put money in people's pockets? You're telling me a high school kid or someone just out of high school is going to pay $800 for a GPU to play COD? $800 used to be way high in the clouds kind of pricing, like super halo pricing. Now it's just basic mid range pricing because Nvidia has excuses? Help me understand because I can't. The price increase of GPUs has left inflation in the dust, it's not even close.

Honestly, I don't know. The cards themselves have gotten so big, so hungry, and have so much cutting edge stuff in them that I think they are just going to cost more.

How about this, I think that the actual performance increases that we all notice in games has gotten harder in a non-linear fashion to obtain. We are pushing for 120+fps 4k? Seriously? With RTX, naturally. And oh yeah, with a huge gob of silicon to make up for the fact that doing that straight away is a bit of pipe dream but obviously costs us something because that's not free.

I think the hypothetical teenager in your scenario is actually really happy with their 1080p 24' monitor and 3050 $250 card because they are playing to be with their friends.

It's us older set that's got too much money and no time to actually play games mucking it all up. (IMO) All the builds I have done for teens (and pre-teens) in this mess have used sub $200 gpus. At one point that was a 1070 FE (woo!) all the way down to $45 maxwell based quadros. So many GTX 970s, 980tis, 1060 3gb, GTX950 and even older radeons (290's represent!) right through the pandemic. All work fine (some worse, some better) at 1080p. These kids are the most likely to benefit from a used card tsunami, imo.

Getting back to the issue of whether or not our dumb demographic of working gamers is going to scoop up any next gen cards at what AMD and clearly nvidia hope are the new MSRPs are great questions. Everyone talked up (so so so much, it was mind boggling) Cyberpunk for the RTX3xxx launch. Is there anything like that at all right now?

So maybe the real next battlefield isn't really the 4070 at all, but rather the 3060 12GB and 6600 replacements, where the sales volume is likely to be ($300+inflation nonsense) and this top end stuff is just low volume, high margin fluff that nvidia and AMD finally had the excuse to go find. Both were probably nervous of the $1K MSRP before, but noooooo way are they now.

My too long $.02.

And here, for random speculation - when we get into this next gen nvidia rollout, what if it looks like this:

3060 - $350, 3080 12GB - $600, 4070 - $800, 4080 - $1200, 4090 - $2000

Of course all those miner 8GB cards are so 2020 trash! (this is in reference to my earlier point).

All numbers are butt pulls, of course, but why not? Especially if the supply of the new shiny is thin and they yields on samsung are finally really dialed in. They gotta extract maximum value from us. That's their duty to their shareholders (roll eye emoji here).

I'll be yelling at clouds while doing circles on the ground like Homer.

Again, I look forward to this because I am hoping that you are laugh/crying along with the rest of us.

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I'll be yelling at clouds while doing circles on the ground like Homer. Regarding that 4070 price, I simply have to wonder at what point does demand start to wane? If miners aren't a factor this time, then seriously how many gamers are going to get excited and actually buy an $800 4070? I also expect them to come in high around that price, and they will sell, but in what numbers? I'm sure Nvidia will have all sorts of smart excuses like supply chain this, inflation that, blah blah. But if the card is just too expensive then how will their excuses put money in people's pockets? You're telling me a high school kid or someone just out of high school is going to pay $800 for a GPU to play COD? $800 used to be way high in the clouds kind of pricing, like super halo pricing. Now it's just basic mid range pricing because Nvidia has excuses? Help me understand because I can't. The price increase of GPUs has left inflation in the dust, it's not even close.
Remember, if it isn't recorded, it didn't happen.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

Honestly, I think there's a race between the coming crash/recession & supply issues, both leading to opposite conclusions pricing wise. For those who think because a recession hasn't been announced it's not happening, keep mindful that they are always 2-3 quarters after the fact in announcing it. This one is going to be very bad.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Honestly, I think there's a race between the coming crash/recession & supply issues, both leading to opposite conclusions pricing wise. For those who think because a recession hasn't been announced it's not happening, keep mindful that they are always 2-3 quarters after the fact in announcing it. This one is going to be very bad.

And I'm sure Nvidia will still go for the biggest price hike in the company's history. They better hope I never discover mind control because I'd do some serious damage to their bottom line.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
And I'm sure Nvidia will still go for the biggest price hike in the company's history. They better hope I never discover mind control because I'd do some serious damage to their bottom line.
Wanna bet? Joking, joking. I'm saving the cat food for the recession, you should too. :p

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Well, my PC is now making an awesome grinding noise that resembles a 1991 Buick LeSabre trying to start on a cold morning. Prices for GPUs are actually pretty reasonable now but I'm hoping to see the 3080Ti and 3090s lower before taking the plunge.

You can also just start by replacing the fans...

Reactions: VirtualLarry

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
facebook market place has dozens of 3060ti for 450 to 500. Hopefully they arent being snapped up... Its a good time just to sit back and watch the dominoes fall.