Question Is now the time to buy?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Been keeping my eye on various places since I've needed to build a new PC for many years but I absolutely refused to pay $3,000 for a card that should only cost $750. I was notified from Newegg last week that many of the 3080 Ti cards have hit below $1,500 and with the 4000 series just around the corner, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to grab a card now and start building a new rig or wait until the new series hits the market. I've seen speculation that the 3000 series will jump back up in price as well as people claiming they will fall further.

I'm willing to spend upwards of $4,000 - $5,000 on a new PC, but I refuse to spend that much on just the damn GPU.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I would either wait for the new cards in sept-October or 3 or 4 months from now. Let me remind people of the last mining collapse. It was the 1st RDNA release, I didn't want to pay $292 for the RX5700. My strike price was $275. I regret that time but the lesson is -23% performance of my 1660super vs the RX5700. And that was then end of 2019. I feel a little sick just thinking about it.

Reactions: Ranulf

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for the information. I can hold out until later this year so now I just have to continue making sure my PC will hold out that long as well.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've been running my sig rig for the last 6 years + at this point and every once in a while the itch to just build comes up and I watchlist a ton of 5800x's and 6900XTs and add to cart a fantasy build.

But then I go back and fire up Serious Sam or Hollow Knight or something else that can run on a potato and wonder why the hell I'm chasing some beefed out top end rig when what I currently have stills plays what I want to play.

Cyberpunk is currently the only game in my library that is awaiting an upgrade so I can play it in all it's graphical splendor.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been running my sig rig for the last 6 years + at this point and every once in a while the itch to just build comes up and I watchlist a ton of 5800x's and 6900XTs and add to cart a fantasy build.

But then I go back and fire up Serious Sam or Hollow Knight or something else that can run on a potato and wonder why the hell I'm chasing some beefed out top end rig when what I currently have stills plays what I want to play.

Cyberpunk is currently the only game in my library that is awaiting an upgrade so I can play it in all it's graphical splendor.
I get the same way and there's been many times I almost just dumped $2,000 on a GPU, but I actually have a lot of games sitting in my library that I won't play until I can experience them properly. Even games like Borderlands 3 and Rebel Galaxy 2 will technically run on my PC and considering I can still run games like Witcher 3 completely maxed at 2k, I know my PC can run those games well, but when I look at Mount and Blade: Bannerlord, Dying Light, and Cyberpunk, I know my PC just isn't cutting it.

I can't be upset over building a new PC though. I spent roughly $3,500 around a decade ago and it's served me well enough and that's what I plan on doing with my next PC - buying something that will last me through two or three console generations.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I get the same way and there's been many times I almost just dumped $2,000 on a GPU, but I actually have a lot of games sitting in my library that I won't play until I can experience them properly. Even games like Borderlands 3 and Rebel Galaxy 2 will technically run on my PC and considering I can still run games like Witcher 3 completely maxed at 2k, I know my PC can run those games well, but when I look at Mount and Blade: Bannerlord, Dying Light, and Cyberpunk, I know my PC just isn't cutting it.

I can't be upset over building a new PC though. I spent roughly $3,500 around a decade ago and it's served me well enough and that's what I plan on doing with my next PC - buying something that will last me through two or three console generations.

- Agreed. My PC is a bit of a Thessus' Ship in that I carry a lot of the non-core components forward (Don't need a new PSU/SSD/Case/etc every time I build) so this current build cost me $700 in core components 6 years ago. From that perspective even spending $1000-$2000 for another 6 year build wouldn't really be that bad amortized over that time.

I'm personally just hung up on the principal of buying hugely inflated GPU way above MSRP (frankly even MSRP now that we're 2 years into the cycle), and I really don't want to do a core build (CPU/MB/RAM) until I get the GPU locked down since that is where most of my performance will come from.

Honestly, even with older games DSR/VSR SSAA means you can always take that extra performance and turn it into additional image quality, so as soon as the price hurdle is overcome I'll be right there upgrading my system with you!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Another advantage of waiting is that AM5 is coming later this year and DDR5 prices are expected to improve.

However, I do think that a lot of people will start building systems if the prices of GPU's, DDR5, etc does come down, so that would then push the prices of other components up (and might cause shortages).

So the best plan might be to build a new PC now without a new GPU and then add that later. But who knows how things will go? We can only say what the best choice would have been afterwards.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I was taking a look at ending soon items on E-bay yesterday for the 6800XTand 6700XT prices were in the $800 and $500 zones respectively. Granted everything had like 40+ bids on it so there was a high likelihood that prices will end up ~$100 higher.

Its all trending in the right direction.

My "will buy" price is a used 6700XT for ~$300 or a 6800XT for ~$450.

Both would be massive performance upgrades from my 980Ti.

NV cards still look like they're a bit out in the desert in relation to their MSRPs.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I was taking a look at ending soon items on E-bay yesterday for the 6800XTand 6700XT prices were in the $800 and $500 zones respectively. Granted everything had like 40+ bids on it so there was a high likelihood that prices will end up ~$100 higher.

Its all trending in the right direction.

My "will buy" price is a used 6700XT for ~$300 or a 6800XT for ~$450.

Both would be massive performance upgrades from my 980Ti.

NV cards still look like they're a bit out in the desert in relation to their MSRPs.
If you click on "Advanced" you can search by sold listings. Much more effective way to judge the market as opposed to ending soon listings.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I have been patiently waiting for the price drops too. I can hold out until June/July to get a 6800 XT maybe a 6900 XT if I find one under 900. Cyberpunk has been running surprisingly well with my Vega 64 with a couple of settings turned off or turned down like motion blur etc. have to use the 21.11.2 drivers though so I can see in the dark areas.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Been keeping my eye on various places since I've needed to build a new PC for many years but I absolutely refused to pay $3,000 for a card that should only cost $750. I was notified from Newegg last week that many of the 3080 Ti cards have hit below $1,500 and with the 4000 series just around the corner, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to grab a card now and start building a new rig or wait until the new series hits the market. I've seen speculation that the 3000 series will jump back up in price as well as people claiming they will fall further.

I'm willing to spend upwards of $4,000 - $5,000 on a new PC, but I refuse to spend that much on just the damn GPU.

I did read through the thread, but I think you'd probably get a big uplift on minimum frames even with your 980Ti now refreshing everything else.

I paired one with a 9700K a few months ago and was really happy with it, the system was fast and games were extremely fluid. It's my daughters gaming rig for the foreseeable future. It was better than a DDR5 1660 and a 1070 I tested it against. Heck, I even paired one with a 10700 in the last couple of months and that was a solid combo too.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a 12700K and 5800X 3D build and use really mature (and cheap DDR4) if you are going to hold onto it.

You never know what tomorrow holds, but you could have a shiny new toy that is a huge step up in days. Carpe Diem! :D

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I really want the answer to be: prices are falling; wait it out. There's a lot of evidence to support such a claim currently.

However:

I'm not an expert, so I don't know if this is going to result in further supply chain impacts. If you live in the US, they rolled back the tariff's on PCBs manufactured in China recently. Not sure how long that will take for companies to pocket the difference to reflect in lower prices

Why_Me

Mar 31, 2022

https://www.newegg.com/black-lian-li-lancool-ii-performance-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-000Z-00086
LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE $119.99

Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $109.99

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4484533
ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700 Intel 12th ATX Motherboard + Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200 Combo $519.98

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-12700kf-core-i7-12th-gen/p/N82E16819118345
Intel Core i7-12700KF $364.99

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black Dual-Tower CPU Cooler $109.95

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS3040-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B08KGXK4Z6/
PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD $214.99

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X XC3 ULTRA GAMING Graphics Card $1,399.99

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-English-Lifetime-License-Upgrade/dp/B09SB4R522/
Windows 10 Home USB | Free Upgrade To Windows 11 $109.00

Total: $2949

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
A few things with your build to anyone that is reading it....

1. You should wait a bit more... ASUS for example has announced they will slash all prices on GPU's by approx 25%.
This means you can probably get it cheaper should you wait.

2. the 3080Ti is NOT worth it.
At that price id rather go team RED and get a 6900XT, as they are just as good / cheaper.

3. Since i am getting an AMD card, i would go with a AMD Ryzen System with SAM feature, possibly a 5900X or a 5800X3D (new chip) on a X570S platform (EVGA Dark series).

4. Since it seems you broke the wall called "Budget" i would get a Samsung 980PRO 1TB as main boot drive, and then grab 2 x 2TB SATA SSD's (can be whatever brand you want and yes QVO drives are even fine for this application here) put these guys on R0 (Raid-0) config in windows storage space, and set that up as a dedicated game drive, as games are getting stupidly bloated these days with the average size of a AAA title netting near 100GB EACH.

Not to mention each and every update on unreal engine requires the entire game to be patched.. yes... the ENTIRE game, that means 100GB rewrites on your drive each time a dev goes oops, i missed that code, so you want something a bit more disposable there, not to mention on R0, you spread the writes to 2 drives so technically each drive is only getting half the writes, on your limited write count.

As for the read speed in games, yes its slower, but not by that much. I am pretty sure you dont have better things to do with that 1-2 seconds (sometimes not even that much) you save at most in load up over a pure nVME vs R0-SSD, howerver having 4TB for pure game storage vs less then 1.3 TB if we factor OS and the fact you never should max a nVME more then 80%, you will be much more happy this route.

Lastly i am not a fan of ASUS.
I only like ASUS when its does not give me problems, but when it does, they have a Customer Service department equivalent monkeys reading scripts and not drifting from said script.

I even had the CSR go back to 1 and read the same line she read to me 10 min ago because i confused the hell out of her and she "started over".
Its that bad.

Not to mention i was even once denied an RMA because they said i broke something, when it was broken after they recieved it.
Lucky for me i had pictures included and 2 months fighting with reps, they said they would do a "good faith" on me... LOLz... no, they got caught that's plain and simple.

Lastly PLEASE and i say PLEASE do not cheap on the PSU.
Yes its a good PSU you selected, but honestly if your dropping 1200 dollars on a GPU, at least get a platinum or Titanium raited PSU, and at least a 1KW class or higher, as the 3080 / 6900 series has something really nasty called transient load spikes, which forced me and the GPU moderator to change PSU's as our systems would REBOOT each time we hit a transient spike on our 3090's

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Lastly PLEASE and i say PLEASE do not cheap on the PSU.
Yes its a good PSU you selected, but honestly if your dropping 1200 dollars on a GPU, at least get a platinum or Titanium raited PSU, and at least a 1KW class or higher, as the 3080 / 6900 series has something really nasty called transient load spikes, which forced me and the GPU moderator to change PSU's as our systems would REBOOT each time we hit a transient spike on our 3090's
Seconded.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@aigomorla , I have a 5950x and a 3080TI (EVGA 3967, faster than what he linked, 400 watt) on a EVGA gold 850 watt. Been 24/7@100% for months,no issues.

On another system, I have a 12700F with an EVGA 3070TI and also a 850 watt gold, only running a month, but it has hit750 watts at times(kill-a-watt), and no issues.

And the 3967 is definitly way faster than a normal 3080. At least in F@H.

This one

And this PSU

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
at least get a platinum or Titanium raited PSU, and at least a 1KW class or higher, as the 3080 / 6900 series has something really nasty called transient load spikes, which forced me and the GPU moderator to change PSU's as our systems would REBOOT each time we hit a transient spike on our 3090's

A common misconception is that Bronze/Gold/Platinum/Titanium reflects the quality of the PSU. It doesn't. It merely describes the efficiency (how much wattage the PSU needs for itself).

The real thing that matters for load spikes is the wattage that the PSU can supply, as well as the quality of the capacitors, that smooth out the load. A Titanium PSU can have low wattage & poor capacitors and a Bronze PSU can have high wattage and great capacitors.

Reactions: blckgrffn

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I just built my first rig in about 10 years. I was way behind the times on what I even wanted but like you I refuse to be stuck in the rump for outrageous prices on just the GPU. So I settled for onboard Intel graphics until later this year when the big dump happens. I can already hear all those wailing about how much they spent because they couldnt wait. I just feel this way because I went to the trouble to get a board and processor support for PCIe 4.0 and I want at least a GPU that supports the same. Not going to sell my pickup to buy one. JMHO

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Not for me, those are for the kids who just have to upgrade even if it isnt an upgrade. Mine will be something current but not the best or most expensive. Something like a 3060ti when they are affordable.(and quite possibly used)
Something that I wont change for another 5-10 years if I live that long.

Reactions: Ranulf and moonbogg

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Now is not the time to buy. An opportunity to spend twice as much for the same class of GPU is just around the corner. Hold the line!

Unless it’s another repeat of Ampere release where the people who sold their 2080Ti’s for $500 were crying as they desperately tried to get a replacement for their video card.

Who know with this post covid world…

What’s scary is that Ada, Radeon, and Intel’s GPUs are all going to be made by TSMC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk