Is Nehrim itself worth $12?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
When this total conversion came out I searched for my Oblivion disk, but it's gone. :(

I think it's the first major game disc I've ever lost.

Oblivion itself doesn't matter to me; I never could get into that game. But Nehrim has always intrigued the hell out of me.

Would it be worth the $12 Oblivion costs just to try it? Or is it simply a great "free" game?

Has anyone played it with it's most recent updates?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yes. IMO, Nehrim is fantastic. This is coming from someone who has tried to get into vanilla Oblivion multiple times, and can't do it because it's so boring. I actually just started playing Nehrim about a month ago though (the newest version) and I'm really enjoying it. For a free game, it's incredibly polished.

Nehrim one-ups Oblivion in several ways: Better storyline, better characters, better graphics, better UI, fixed leveling-up and balancing. It's funny because a lot of those things require multiple mods in Oblivion, whereas Nehrim just happens to include all of them by default. You really don't need to install any additional mods because Nehrim gets it right in the first place (IMO). Hell, it was even voiced by a large number of professional actors, compared to Oblivion which only had like 4 good actors tops.

The only downside you (might) have is that it's in German. Obviously there are English subtitles for everything, but there are no actual english voices for anything. This may or may not bother you. The German voice acting is top-notch, and I don't mind it, but then again I'm one of those people who played through The Witcher entirely with the Polish voices, so who knows.

Aug 11, 2008
No offense, LessThan, but I just could not get into Nehrim. I just got tired of the level running around trying to find your way out of the mine. Maybe I just did not give the game long enough to get interesting, or I just could not get the hang of it. I thought it was very difficult also.

But to the OP, a lot of people did like the game, so for $12.00, you could give it a try. Not much to lose. I havent tried it recently with the updates.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I just got tired of the level running around trying to find your way out of the mine.

So... the very beginning of the game? :)

It's fine, different strokes for different folks. Although it's a little disappointing you couldn't even get past the first ~30 minutes, once you put in a little more effort and actually step outside for the first time, you'll fall in love. IMO, it's not much harder than escaping the dungeon in the first part of Oblivion. It's actually much more exciting... instead of fighting rats, you're dropped into an intense chase scene with giant trolls inside a huge, beautiful cave. Really fun.

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
Btw, I'm playing this now and it's a blast. Some minor issues (save fairly often as I've had a few CTD), but I'm pretty thoroughly enjoying it.

The mods that I'm using for it are:

Holy Hand Scythe Of Antioch (this is kind of a 'auto harvest' for the area around you, so you don't have to click each and every herb to harvest it)

Simple Bandages (if you're not in combat, it heals you and fills your stamina and magicka to full in one key stroke)

WeightLifter (raises the amount of loot you can carry so you can actually do 2-3 dungeons before selling vs having to do 1/2 of one dungeon, rinse, repeat) :)

That's it an really enjoying it.

Last edited:

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Nerhim was nice, pretty hand-built landscapes, although it was pretty much a play-it-once type game.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
German is my first language, so that's not a problem.

I guess I'll decide before the weekend is over. I can see my Morrowind GotY discs from where I sit, so why am I considering spending three extra bucks to get the complete pack?

Steam has really fucked me up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I am 100% sure it had a english patch. i recall playing it

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I am 100% sure it had a english patch. i recall playing it

It does have an english patch. Not everything got translated, though. So you'll come across notes on walls, or books, or scrolls that are still in German. I don't recall running into any NPC dialog that was untranslated, though.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
No offense, LessThan, but I just could not get into Nehrim. I just got tired of the level running around trying to find your way out of the mine. Maybe I just did not give the game long enough to get interesting, or I just could not get the hang of it. I thought it was very difficult also.

But to the OP, a lot of people did like the game, so for $12.00, you could give it a try. Not much to lose. I havent tried it recently with the updates.

I don't know much about this game/mod, but the one thing I do recall is that the first 2 or 3 hours can be a real chore to get through. ;)