Is my video card overheating?

JediKnight

Jul 14, 2000
Installed a new video card (Radeon 4890). I was concerned about overheating, particularly because the card (it's dual slot) would be very close to the one above. People who I talked to on this forum and elsewhere said it shouldn't be a problem.

Fan spun up quite loudly on bootup (and got louder) - but I'm not sure if this is normal for this card.

When I was installing the driver (not sure if it was because of installing the driver, or just a coincidence), the screen turned to vertical black and white bars (and remained as such for a minute or two before I shut off the machine).

Help?

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Try installing the drivers again. If you are really scared about overheating then leave the side of the case open but really there is no way it's going to overheat in 2d mode if the heatsink is making even minimal contact with the core. Then once that is done use rivatuner or msi afterburner or something else to monitor the temperatures of the card when you try it in 3d applications.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The loud on the boot-up should be normal. I'm guessing the drivers throttle the fan speed up and down, but since they aren't installed yet, it runs at default (no idea, just feels that way).

It shouldn't overheat running at idle before the drivers even get put on. Go to safemode, use Driversweeper to uninstall the previous set completely. Then boot up again to reinstall. If it still happens, open the case, blow a fan on it and if it still fails, RMA.

My 5770 is 3-5mm away from my sound card thanks to the dual slot cooler and few PCI slots on my microATX board. It idles 10C higher than without a card beside it, but the highest temperature it's reached is 81C under load. 4890 cards run hotter.

JediKnight

Jul 14, 2000
OK.. I think I may have a serious problem here. I went to boot up my machine again.. and I immediately heard a loud grinding noise. I then quickly shut down the machine to prevent any possible damage (this did not sound like anything normal..)

Help?

BTW: Photo of the inside of my case:

foxtail53

Mar 11, 2010
Looks like the card is being squeezed against the other card(sound card?) If it is the sound card, pull it and see if you still have that sound. Also check the fan surround make sure it's not bent into the fan.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Yes, I agree, open your case and make your video card fan spin faster... like they said,, you connected the power right ? If it continues to do this then I say its defective possibly...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Do you really need that 56k modem? If not, pull it and move the soundcard to the PCI slot you just freed up. That should give your card room to breath.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
heat sink doesn't look level to me in the pic almost like your card is in bend in there.

All video cards kick up on boot fan are controlled by software . Depending on the fan if you hear it that bad thought.