Is my video card dead?

sulanebouxi

Apr 17, 2006
So I shipped my desktop down to my college dorm and when I booted it up for the first time, nothing was showing on the screen. And my monitor was still in sleep mode. I cracked open my case and I noticed that my video card's fan would not wind down. It was blowing at 100%.

Then I noticed two red leds lit up on the video card. They were steady. T_fault(which obviously sounds bad) and Ext_PWR. Does this mean that something is physically wrong with the card? I'm guessing the Ext_PWR led means something with the power supply too. What can I do about this? Is it a paperweight now? Everything worked fine before I shipped it down. Haven't had much trouble and I'm pretty sure everything was getting enough power.

Specs:

AMD X2 3800+ with Zalman 3rd party fan
Asus A8N-E mobo
ATI X1900XT video card
Seasonic S12 500W power supply.

Fedex better reimburse me...I've heard that their Claims dept is a nightmare to work with though. But at least I get to shop for a new video card!

Thanks in advance. :(

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
Have you checked the connections to the video card? The power cable and/or the card might have shifted slightly on the trip. If you card is slightly out of the motherboard slot, or the power cable isnt all the way in this could explain why its not starting.

If your card was dead I would assume nothing would happen on the card. The fact that the fan is running and maintaince lights are turing on makes me think it's still alive.

sulanebouxi

Apr 17, 2006
Ahh...I should have posted this in the initial post. Sorry!

I have tried re-seating the video card, I've plugged and re-plugged the power cable but it hasn't worked so far. I'm starting to think that it may be the power supply. It would explain the power led that's lighting up.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
the fans on my x1950 xt and x1900 cf card go to 100% when initially booting, I think that it is some kind of self-test mode that the video card goes through when it initially powers on. If it had a power problem it would most likely not turn on at all. However, if you can get your hands on a good psu then it will be very easy to eliminate that as a potential problem.