Question Is my NIC dying?

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
Recently my PC starts to disconnect from ethernet after few hours and nothing helps except restart.

Is some recent windows update or is my onboard dying?

Tried with two different routers, different cables. WiFi keeps working. Windows 10 all recent updates. Card is onboard Realtec

Anyone had something like that?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No, the times I've had NICs die (it's been a while), they just stopped working completely, never to work again.

I'd look at it in Device Manager to see if any problems noted and try pinging another system or the router, and if there's gunk buildup try spraying the port/socket with residue free contact cleaner. Sometimes plugging a connector in and out several times can abrade away residue.

What I did have happen more recently is a switch started getting flaky due to the cable's locking tab breaking off and cable slowly crept out of the socket, but prior to that, a switch getting flaky due to capacitor rot, would be okay until the load started rising.

You could look through your recent windows updates to see if any have related issues or roll back to a backup made prior to the onset of the problem, though if you have a spare motherboard slot for it, an equivalent PCIe NIC (if just GbE) is probably only $10 or so.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
No, the times I've had NICs die (it's been a while), they just stopped working completely, never to work again.

I'd look at it in Device Manager to see if any problems noted and try pinging another system or the router, and if there's gunk buildup try spraying the port/socket with residue free contact cleaner. Sometimes plugging a connector in and out several times can abrade away residue.

What I did have happen more recently is a switch started getting flaky due to the cable's locking tab breaking off and cable slowly crept out of the socket, but prior to that, a switch getting flaky due to capacitor rot, would be okay until the load started rising.

You could look through your recent windows updates to see if any have related issues or roll back to a backup made prior to the onset of the problem, though if you have a spare motherboard slot for it, an equivalent PCIe NIC (if just GbE) is probably only $10 or so.

Good ideas, might be relevant to my recent move. Thank you