Question Is my new memory shot or is this a bios setting?

Braidster

Apr 14, 2013
Hey all just got a new 4x16 set of Gskill Royal Elite 3600 14-14-14-34 and I can't get the PC to boot into windows, or even give me a bios option. Even trying 2 sticks in each set of ports could only get it to light (Using all 4 nothing lights up) up but same problem no boot. When I am attempting to boot I get no change of post code on the mobo at all just sits at a "00". Pop back in the old 4x16 Gskill Royal 3600 16-16-16-36 and boots again no problem. I did buy this ram for a new Dark Hero that's on the way but decided to give this a try in my current Gigabyte Aorus master.

By the sounds of things do you think I got dead ram, or is it possibly a voltage issue? I know this new ram is 1.45v where as the older kit is 1.35v.

*Oh I did make sure I reset Xmp before I shut down and installed the new ram*

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, it could be bad RAM, but it could just be the motherboard cannot detect the memory settings properly. What BIOS revision are you on? An update might help. Also, you may need to add additional VSOC.

Braidster

Apr 14, 2013
Hmm, it could be bad RAM, but it could just be the motherboard cannot detect the memory settings properly. What BIOS revision are you on? An update might help. Also, you may need to add additional VSOC.

Hi sorry I've been back and forth in a couple other forums trying to work this out, but appreciate the response.

I have sent back the ram for an exchange after a lot of different attempts to get them to work. Basically as you said after they at first wouldn't work I discovered I was on an older bios, so updated to the newest and that still didn't fix things. I pretty much tried every single combo a couple times over in both sets of memory banks (A1/B1, A2/B2) and continued getting the system to start up with no display and a 00 post code that isn't listed in the manual as anything.

So this is stock settings I can't get a display or anything to work such as the power button, but regardless of all this I can pop back in my current 4x16 kit and it'll boot like a charm right into a "cmos has been reset" screen to go into the bios.

I got a Dark Hero delivered today but at the time this delivery was up in the air, so thought it was a better plan to rma the ram while I could in case I didn't get the new mobo to test with. I'm doing a full rebuild right down to the psu, fans, aio, mobo, and an m.2 for my os. Crossing my fingers now that when I do get the replacement back I have better like with the newer mobo.