Is my motherboard dead before I RMA

severus

Dec 30, 2007
Installed a new ASUS GTX 960 4gb in my Z97I Drone ITX board. After doing so, the original Corsair 500W PSU just "ticked" and the system wouldn't power on. LED 2 on the 960's PCB keeps flashing white Tried the same PSU in a barebones old AM3 board and it booted fine with LED 2 on the 960 glowing white, not flashing.. Removed the ITX board from my Silverstone case and tried it barebones, no dice. Went out an bought an EVGA 750W modular PSU. Plugged that in. LED 2 still flashing. PSU works fine on the previously mentioned AM3 board.

I should note that the 24 pin connector on the ITX board is incredibly difficult to put in. I looked for bent pin but didn't see any. Yes the system did work before I tried using the 960, but the 960 does work on my old AM3 board so I don't think that's the issue here. I did try booting with 1 stick of ram vs 2 and tried using both different ram slots.Tried with and without the 960 installed. I think an RMA to ECS is warranted?

Specs:
Silverstone SG13 case
Corsair H60
8gb Kingston DDR3
ECS Z79I drone
Intel G3258
ASUS GTX 960 4gb STRIX
Corsair 550w modular PSU
EVGA 750w modular PSU

Last edited:

LFaWolf

Oct 27, 2016
Any chance that you can remove the GPU and use the iGPU and test? If it boots, do you have a low end video card that you can plug in to test?

severus

Dec 30, 2007
I've tested it that way. The system worked perfectly before I installed the aftermarket GPU, now it won't boot at all, even with the iGPU. I've contacted Newegg for an RMA, but unfortunately they no longer carry the board and I think they'll end up just refunding me money. I'd much rather get this repaired or replaced so I may be better off directly RMAing through ECS.

LFaWolf

Oct 27, 2016
If it won't boot even with the iGPU then at appears something went through and the board is dead. Good luck with the RMA.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
That's the conclusion I've come to. My problem now is as stated. Do I RMA to newegg and chance getting just money back, or do I try an RMA to ECS an hope they give me a new/repair this board.

LFaWolf

Oct 27, 2016
Personally I have not dealt with ECS before so I cannot comment on its RMA service (I did get my $50 rebate from them 5 years ago). If I were you I would RMA with Newegg and get another itx MB. Is there another itx 970 MB from ASUS or MSI? Unless you got a great deal on it, generally I prefer not to deal with manufacture directly as you need to ship it back on your on dime, and experience is a crap shoot. Newegg, on the other hand, I have had far more positive than negative experience. Is Newegg paying for the return shipping? If not, chat with an CSR online (or call) and 99% of the time they will cover the return cost if the product is defective.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
There is no other z97 motherboard in ITX fashion on neweggs website. Even though this ECS board is fairly new, they removed it from their site about a week after I purchased it (10-19-16). Thus, I'd basically be shafted and stuck with an H81 or B85 board with half the features.

LFaWolf

Oct 27, 2016
In that case, cross your fingers and RMA with ECS :p. Please update this thread and let us know how it goes. I am very curious about ECS customer service as well. Best of luck!