Is my math correct?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
1) Approximately 50% of women are 'pro-life.'

2) Approximately 90% of pregnant women choose abortion when given a Down syndrome diagnosis.

3) Assumpton: Assume 100% of pro-choice women would opt for an abortion in this case.

---------------

0.5 + 0.5(X) = 0.9

X = 80% of 'pro-life' women would choose an abortion???

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Ferocious
1) Approximately 50% of women are 'pro-life.'

2) Approximately 90% of pregnant women choose abortion when given a Down syndrome diagnosis.

3) Assumpton: Assume 100% of pro-choice women would opt for an abortion in this case.

---------------

0.5 + 0.5(X) = 0.9

X = 80% of 'pro-life' women would choose an abortion???

Is my math correct?

No, not unless you add the parameters that pro-choice and pro-life women:

1. Are equal in number (I.e., each group is 50% of the population)

2. They have an equal rate of pregnancy.

3. They have an equal occurance rate of Down's syndrome children.

I.e., this thread is stoopid.

Fern

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
/yawn. If you just wanted the answer to a stat calc, couldn't you have used apples, apples with a worm in it, and apples w/ worm who don't want to be eaten? Too early to talk abortion. :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Lock this thread

Why, this thread has a math equation question making it more informative than over half the threads started in the last day.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I think we could apply the underlying theorem used in this thread to other socially-relevant issues. Take for example the question of the origins of mankind:

36% of all adults literally believe in the Garden of Eden.
25% of adults eat fresh figs.
Two-thirds of fresh-fig-eating adults get their all their figs from the market and therefore have never seen a fig leaf.
Thus, 6% of adults think the bible is literally true yet don't see a fig leaf when reading about Adam and Eve in the bible.

Since there are no fig leaves in the bible, there's no shame. If no shame, there must be no snake. If there's no snake, there's no fall. If there's no fall, there's no need for Jesus. Without Jesus, the Republicans can't ever win.

So eat more figs.