Is my legacy, going to be a legacy, of e-waste? Sigh.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Do you focus on SFF at all? Standard ATX is just a complete waste of space. I'm really not sure why people still buy that form factor, when most need/use one PCIe slot for a high end dGPU and that's it. You might get better reception if you follow the general form factor trend.

I sometimes build ITX with a standard ATX PSU, but mostly I build mATX. Going smaller means baby-sized power supplies (not to mention wiring nightmares and often poor air circulation), so I'm not a fan of it.

- edit - sorry, I just realised this might be a "I would like one of VL's spare builds" question, in which case my opinion is irrelevant!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That. The important part is that he clears out his shed.

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.
Right you are. Larry could send a few computers to me, but all I could do is give them to my fellow clients at the place I live at if they want them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Right you are. Larry could send a few computers to me, but all I could do is give them to my fellow clients at the place I live at if they want them.
Well, are you (or they) willing to pay for shipping, and two, do they mind / will they be happy using Linux? We're talking web-browser-esque boxes here.

I'm not ready to give away my quad-core Ryzen rigs yet, nor my G4560 gaming rigs. I would prefer to sell those to someone that's willing to pay for them.

The other, slightly older, but still decently speedy (SSD) boxes, with Skylake or Haswell CPUs, maybe a few with Ivy Bridge, browser boxes, those I am willing to give away for shipping. They would generally have 4GB of RAM, and an SSD, and likely, Linux Mint 18 or 19.

I think nearly all of my boxes have HDMI out, and for those that don't, I have DVI-to-HDMI converters to plug into the mobo's DVI output, so that you can hook it up to an HDTV for a monitor if need be.

I've got a few G3258 rigs, clocked at 4.0Ghz+, those make really speedy browser boxes.

Have a few SFF-esque boxes, mostly with AM1 quad-cores in them, too. A multi-threaded browser is a necessity on those boxes, because the clock speed is lower, and they don't overclock properly under Linux. (Won't boot.)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, are you (or they) willing to pay for shipping, and two, do they mind / will they be happy using Linux? We're talking web-browser-esque boxes here.

I'm not ready to give away my quad-core Ryzen rigs yet, nor my G4560 gaming rigs. I would prefer to sell those to someone that's willing to pay for them.

The other, slightly older, but still decently speedy (SSD) boxes, with Skylake or Haswell CPUs, maybe a few with Ivy Bridge, browser boxes, those I am willing to give away for shipping. They would generally have 4GB of RAM, and an SSD, and likely, Linux Mint 18 or 19.

I think nearly all of my boxes have HDMI out, and for those that don't, I have DVI-to-HDMI converters to plug into the mobo's DVI output, so that you can hook it up to an HDTV for a monitor if need be.
Thanks I find out what the shipping cost would be, but for a web browser box those specs will be fine and Linux Mint 19.x would be fine as well. I will be willing to walk them through the basics if needed.

However let me talk to my case manager first to see if this would be a good idea as they would have buy a display(or just use a TV) and KBM. How many systems do you have in your shed?

Feb 25, 2011
Junk is quick to haul away - if you honestly want to get rid of it, post a "free stuff" on Craigslist and make it somebody else's problem.

Addressing the root cause of the hoarding behavior is more important. And the whole "huffing and puffing just moving around the house" should scare the fuck out of you. It does me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How many systems do you have in your shed?
I'm going to say, that I think that I have around eight to give away? I have 4-5 AM1 boxes, all (I think) Sempron 3850 quad-cores (only 1.3Ghz, though can be OCed to 1.6Ghz in Windows, but Linux doesn't like that), and maybe 3, maybe 4, G3258 boards. Also a few Haswell Celeron G1820 boxes too. Without overclocking the G3258, it's stock at 3.2Ghz, and the Celeron is like 2.8Ghz or so, maybe 2.7Ghz, there's not whole huge difference, without overclocking. Pretty sure every G3258 CPU is in an overclockable H81 board, though.

I'm going to move the actual giveway of some of these boxes (I guess I'm going to do this, to clear up some space and find some decent homes for these boxen), to the proper AT Forum venue, the "Free Stuff Thread", found in the Hot Deals forum. You all can place your dibs on them there, this thread will continue to be a discussion thread about hoarding and PC building.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm going to say, that I think that I have around eight to give away? I have 4-5 AM1 boxes, all (I think) Sempron 3850 quad-cores (only 1.3Ghz, though can be OCed to 1.6Ghz in Windows, but Linux doesn't like that), and maybe 3, maybe 4, G3258 boards. Also a few Haswell Celeron G1820 boxes too. Without overclocking the G3258, it's stock at 3.2Ghz, and the Celeron is like 2.8Ghz or so, maybe 2.7Ghz, there's not whole huge difference, without overclocking. Pretty sure every G3258 CPU is in an overclockable H81 board, though.

I'm going to move the actual giveway of some of these boxes (I guess I'm going to do this, to clear up some space and find some decent homes for these boxen), to the proper AT Forum venue, the "Free Stuff Thread", found in the Hot Deals forum. You all can place your dibs on them there, this thread will continue to be a discussion thread about hoarding and PC building.
I'll take a look there then. But I'll ask around to see if anyone here would want them first. But yeah let us help you with your hoarding and your addition to PC building.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Larry isn't doing nothing wrong. I admire him. I hate laptops and tablets.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
We'll, I don't know about "wrong"-ness, so much so as unwise behavior, and a compulsion to build PC when I don't have customers. I should find less expensive ways to spend my time, and maybe find a new hobby. Is it ironic that I'm posting this via a cell phone?

Nov 20, 2009
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...-literally-catch-fire/?utm_term=.b5eeb0b8d847

This article also gives me pause. I've got a number of "lipstick batteries" (cell-phone chargers, vaguely shaped like a large lipstick container), and "battery packs", floating around my place. I bought a whole ton of them off of ebay from BestBuy. While they are quality name-brands (PNY), I still am concerned that I may have already lost track of some of them, and in a few years, when the charge dissipates, they might become flammable. I don't want my apt., nor my neighbors, to burn down.
Regarding the article on the dangers and pitfalls of post-life waste ... I was talking to my wife the other day about the long-term situation with nuclear power plant spent fuel and the plants themselves. I had looked forward to Yucca Mountain opening up fully and being used and based that, in part, on what I had learned in the very late 1980's and very early 1990's when I did research for a debate on nuke vs. PV solar.

I had to defend my PV solar position and I did so by attacking nuclear. One of the things that surprised me were the known, but not publicly acknowledged costs of decommissioning a plant. The designed lifetime of plants were ~50 years. But the costs involved were ignored because by the time those plants were scheduled to be taken offline and decom it would be well beyond those engineers, salesmen and politicians employment years. In other words, they ignored the EOL costs and basic problems therein by passing the buck. Now more than 50 years later the the first plants are in decom mode. Well, decom meaning offline as no one knows how they will literally tear down the plant to it's foundation and where they are going to haul it off to, let alone the manner of hauling and even more^2 on the current cost projections to decom one plant.

BTW, in my research back in ~1990 the estimated cost then (in 1990 dollars) was $150 Million per reactor. Being that nuclear power in its construction was already heavily subsidized by the Feds, the costs of decom no doubt will fall on every taxpayer, too. And like this 800 pound gorilla of a problem we now get to add all of those tons of e-waste that will set a blaze out landfills. Yeay!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like to make things out of nothing, and rescue junk. That gives me an outlet for acquiring stuff, but it doesn't cost money, and I'm removing a bit of trash from the world, while at the same time not consuming resources. Mostly it's just stuff for work. I call the containers on job sites treasure boxes. It's amazing what gets thrown away. Last week I made ~24 property corners from rebar I found in a container. There was more to be had, but I didn't want to jump in with the yellowjackets. In another treasure box I got a laundry basket which I'm just about ready to need, and a steel mop handle which I'm gonna use to properly fix my solar clothes dryer.

All of which is to say, it's fun not being a consumer. Most people don't have the easy opportunities I have for getting stuff, but there's almost always a non purchased solution to a problem. Enjoy the gadgets you have, and run them into the ground before getting more. It's better for your wallet, and better for the planet.

Reactions: repoman0

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm thinking about building a virtual pinball machine... Do you have a rig that's better than an i5-2500k sandybridge? Maybe we could work something out.

Anyway, I don't build PCs like you do anymore and I still have an e-waste problem. I have several old laptops that barely function that I struggle to get rid of. They just don't make this kind of stuff easy to recycle. It drives me nuts, and it's only going to get worse as the number of disposable electronics keeps going up.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Many of the GPUS may be worth something if any of them are < 5 years old ... and, with GPU prices still somewhat inflated, you may actually get a good portion of money back.
Ram is still expensive, so, up about 200% since 2015-2016 prices .... maybe pull the ram and sell it from some boxes?

Selling whole boxes which cost like $50 to ship is hard. But, selling components to people who want to upgrade with them might be worthwhile.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
how do you know future generations won't be in a post-apocalyptic state where they worship to the story of the all-knowing black boxes?

do the right thing and set up an underground temple for them in the backyard

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
how do you know future generations won't be in a post-apocalyptic state where they worship to the story of the all-knowing black boxes?

Some of these might be older, likely Beige boxes ...

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Well..they have to have power for any of that...

As an aside. I once built a mini golf course out of old PC parts. It was entertaining. As well as a full size aquarium PC (aquarium was in front of the monitor with see through components).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm sure that there are a pile of under-served schools that would love to have them.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm sure that there are a pile of under-served schools that would love to have them.

Schools around where I live are getting picky about their PC's, and want to have standardized platforms that can use the same OS image for all of their systems. I'd imagine that non-profits like churches wouldn't have the same complaints about getting free hardware.