Is my legacy, going to be a legacy, of e-waste? Sigh.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm running on an athlon 2. but it still runs path of exile sort of.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think I saw an athlon2 at the thrift shop today. Almost bought an old dell for a backup at work, but didn't want to spend money on a "what if".

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We got "new" computers at work a while back, they were core i5's with 2GB of ram. Why is 2GB of ram even still a default? It should be at least 8GB now days. Especially if it's going to run windows 7 or higher. Thankfully we eventually managed to talk them into giving us 12GB, which is what we need to run all our stuff without hitting swap space. I still say we should have gotten core i7's at least though. It's not asking for much in this day and age.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Why do you have to build so many PCs if you don't use them yourself?

If you need to test different OSes or softwares , just build a powerful PC and use free ESXi or Hyper-V to create virtual machines for testing.

I quit building new PCs trying to catch up technology years ago and turned to virtual technology.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Why do you have to build so many PCs if you don't use them yourself?

If you just need to test different OSes or softwares , just build a powerful PC and use free ESXi or Hyper-V to build virtual machines.

I quit building new PCs trying to catch up technology years ago and turned to virtual technology.
Computers have been "good enough" for a long time now. You don't get the wow factor from upgrades you once got. If you aren't pushing boundaries, a computer lasts a long time anymore.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Computers have been "good enough" for a long time now. You don't get the wow factor from upgrades you once got. If you aren't pushing boundaries, a computer lasts a long time anymore.
That's exactly what I mean.

Unless VL really need the devices or newest PC, why does he have to build new PC or buy new stuff all the time?

You don't have to buy new stuff to know how newest technologies work.

You can keep up with technologies via reading articles on the internet or watching videos on youtube.

If you want to test constantly changing OS or networking, build a virtual environment.

==

I don't have 802.11ac router, DDR4 platforms, or expensive video cards and I don't have NVMe PCIe or M.2 SSD.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I can sympathize with VL because I usually like to get my hands on at least one example of every new platform (well, mainstream at least). In years past, it was easier to pass the older stuff on to friends or family, but now it's usually eBay. I don't let let stuff pile up! Wait too long and it's worthless, the money from the sales helps feed the habit. Not a money maker by any means, but done right, it makes costs much more manageable.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I can sympathize with VL because I usually like to get my hands on at least one example of every new platform (well, mainstream at least). In years past, it was easier to pass the older stuff on to friends or family, but now it's usually eBay. I don't let let stuff pile up! Wait too long and it's worthless, the money from the sales helps feed the habit. Not a money maker by any means, but done right, it makes costs much more manageable.
Playing with software's a good way to get your tech fix, and it's free. Easier if you're on a libre platform, but that can be done via dual boot or vm.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
VL, you should get a job at Microcenter and get paid to play with hardware, instead of wasting your money and space on computers nobody wants anymore.

Why do you want to try each platform? What is the difference between platforms anymore? You plug in a bunch of parts, turn it on, and its all the same from there.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
...Why do you want to try each platform? What is the difference between platforms anymore? You plug in a bunch of parts, turn it on, and its all the same from there.
I just like it. Not really sure why a reason is required...? Maybe it keeps me off the streets!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow... I'm having trouble relating to the OP's problem. I'm still using a 2012 era Dell XPS with Core i7-3770, because up until recently there wasn't anything reasonably priced that would significantly outperform it. All it's really needed to stay useful for the last 6 years was a memory upgrade, a (free) Windows 10 upgrade, an SSD, and a GeForce 1060 video card upgrade. It still plays the latest games at 1440p with high details turned on without issue.

At this point, I should probably look at replacing it with a Ryzen 2700 or Core i7-8700 based system. That said, the only upgrade that I really need at this point is a bigger and faster SSD.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Maybe we should set up an online ATOT "free" (flea) market. We post all of our old electronics crap and ship it for free to fellow ATOTers who could use it for projects or anything.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe we should set up an online ATOT "free" (flea) market. We post all of our old electronics crap and ship it for free to fellow ATOTers who could use it for projects or anything.
There is the "Free Stuff" thread, stickied in the Hot Deals sub-forum.

Reactions: snoopy7548

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
There is the "Free Stuff" thread, stickied in the Hot Deals sub-forum.
Or you could find people in your community that need a computer but can't afford one. Install Linux on them and give them to kids so they will learn Linux...

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Do you focus on SFF at all? Standard ATX is just a complete waste of space. I'm really not sure why people still buy that form factor, when most need/use one PCIe slot for a high end dGPU and that's it. You might get better reception if you follow the general form factor trend.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Or you could find people in your community that need a computer but can't afford one. Install Linux on them and give them to kids so they will learn Linux...

You might want to ask before putting Linux on a gifted PC. I’ve done it in the past, only to see a bootleg copy of Windows show up on it later.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Linux is a good idea for a machine you're just giving away, if the new owner wants to put a pirated copy of windows or another Os then it's on them to do it. Linux is easier to install than windows as you don't have to hunt all over the internet for drivers. *Typically* Linux will find everything and it will just work, maybe not well, or the way you want, but it will work. The finer details can be a pain to setup sometimes but for a free machine I would just make sure all the basics work and that's it. The new owner can then decide if they want to use another distro, or Windows etc. Basically you're giving the hardware and not the software.