Is my laptop on its' death bed?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by RoConno, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RoConno

RoConno Member

I have used my Gateway T6345U laptop just about every day for the last 3+ years. It just started showing these thin, colored lines, flickering in the task line, and cover about 20% of the height of the task line.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

is it doing this only in the task line.or if you open a picture full screen.is it doing it to.

3. addoraa

addoraa Member

Try hooking up an external monitor and see if the problem follows, if it does it is more than likely a gpu issue.

If it does not follow then probably the first thing I would check is the cable from the MB to the LCD.

4. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

It's not on it's death bed but it needs surgery. That is more than likely a bad LCD screen. I usually charge $99 parts and labor for screen replacements but prices may vary in your area. But like addoraa said, it needs to be hooked up to an external monitor to be sure.

5. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Move the monitor back and forth - does it go away?
    If it does, find a YouTube video on how to disassemble that bastard and tighten the cable that's loose.

6. RoConno

RoConno Member

It does it in full screen also.
    Thanks Denis280

7. RoConno

RoConno Member

amdhunter, It does NOT go away by moving the monitor back and forth. I will try hooking it up to an external monitor as soon as I can.
    Thanks amdhunter

8. RoConno

RoConno Member

addoraa, I just hooked the laptop to an external monitor and the problem did NOT follow/appear on the external's screen. I'll have to look for that video on how to replace the LCD screen. It should show me how to get to the cable connection.
    Thanks addoraa for the suggestion. It helped narrow it down.