Is my Ivy Bridge Xeon too hot ?

Shakabutt

Sep 6, 2012
wowtrainer.net
Hy, so recently ive moved from a FX 6100 to a Xeon 1240v2 and the weather then was chilly, entering spring, but summer is here now and im kinda worried that my proc is overheating.

My temps after monitoring them today:

Idles : hovering around 50 celsius
Highest temperature (after some hours of Dota 2 and Battlefield 4) : 86 celsius

Ive used CoreTemp to monitor them.

Should i be worried ? Should i get a aftermarket cooler for it ?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
That's a high idle but 86c is safe to run 24/7 for years on these chips. Your CPU won't start to throttle until 105c.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Those temps are fine, but a bit on the high side. An aftermarket cooler couldn't hurt, but don't feel like it is needed.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Almost an exact duplicate of my thread months ago.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2429025

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears it turned out it was one/more of the four clamps from the intel stock cooler was not going in all the way and the heatsink was not making physical contact with the cpu. I could tell because when I opened the case the heatsink was always blowing cool air. After I cleaned up the old paste, laid down some new paste and reseated the heatsink properly, making proper contact with my sandy bridge, temps went from 50idle/95load to 35idle/55load.

If not that, it could have been any one of the many different solutions I tried before trying the heatsink as described in that thread.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
When those plastic pin HSF retainers debuted many years ago, even I, the ever so dexterous, works-with-his-hands guy managed to bork a plastic pin on an install. It's worth a look to see if the pins are all in properly. All my builds using a stock HSF get installed before the motherboard goes into the chassis, so that the backside can be inspected for proper pin insertion.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Almost an exact duplicate of my thread months ago.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2429025

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears it turned out it was one/more of the four clamps from the intel stock cooler was not going in all the way and the heatsink was not making physical contact with the cpu.

Yeah, it sounds to me as if Shakabutt has the same problem that you had, except that I can pretty much guarantee you that you had two pins, most likely on the same side, that weren't fully seated, and he has only one that isn't. He has twice as many cores as you, and his CPU has HT, and he's still close to 10°C cooler than your 2 cores/no HT happens to be.

Still, 86c is a safe load temperature.

Agreed, but that's still extraordinarily high, to only be gaming. If he ever decides to either run Prime95 or run Handbrake for any reason, he will be near, if not over, 100°C.

When those plastic pin HSF retainers debuted many years ago, even I, the ever so dexterous, works-with-his-hands guy managed to bork a plastic pin on an install. It's worth a look to see if the pins are all in properly. All my builds using a stock HSF get installed before the motherboard goes into the chassis, so that the backside can be inspected for proper pin insertion.

My first experience with those pins was mounting a Scythe Ninja. I'm sure I would have made that same mistake, but after having read about other people's experiences with those pins, I made sure to press hard enough. I had to press so hard, that I had a bruise on the pad of my left thumb for a few days afterward. The first pad only took 20-25 pounds of pressure to fully seat, but each one took progressively more. The last one took at least 40, if not 45 or 50, pounds of force.*

*The Intel heatsinks don't take quite that much pressure to seat, but they take much, much more than anyone would ever guess, if they had never installed one.

Shakabutt

Sep 6, 2012
wowtrainer.net
Actually ive experienced the pin issue some months ago on it, and i was alarmed when i saw my temps jumping from 50 to 95 in 1 second when windows started.

Then i checked, and tripple checked , running smooth stable now.

So from my experience if one leg is detached you get wild temp rises instantly, mine seems to top at 86 .

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Yeah, the way to tell if you have a pin that isn't seated fully is the temp rising extremely fast. If you have no plans, at least for now, to start running distributed computing on this system, or to start using Handbrake, your 86° max temps are fine.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Buy an aftermarket cooler. My 5930K hits just over 50 celsius with an aftermarket gaming, 4770 idle browsing hits 35 or less. 86 may be "safe" but its way too high. If you could drop temps 20-30 celsius with an EVO why wouldn't you?