Is my HD dying here?

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
I need some opinons as to what might be causing these problems

I've been getting BSOD regarding Stop errors and memory dumps randlomly and sometimes during boot up, when Windows is loading. Programs are crashing frequently, randlomy & I've been getting "corrupt file" messages the last few times that I have tried installing self-extracting files.

I've swapped out my ram modules, and I'm not oc'ing.
Are these signs that my hd is going.

I'm running:
WinXP Pro
PIIIe 700 on a Asus CUSL2
IBM 20G 75GXP
ATI Radeon 64MB DDR
SB Live Value

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Possibly. Could also be file corruptions or screwed up drivers.

What is the exact Stop Error your getting the most?

Also have you checked event viewer? Click on start, run and type in: eventvwr and check the system section.

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Stop code:0x0000008E
something to do with Win32k.sys is says

Checking the event viewer, most of the errors are caused by "DCOM"

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005

Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

There are a few incidents of "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." errors.

Don't know if this makes any more sense...

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sounds like you might have a problem with hard drive.. do what sgopal2 suggested.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Yep, run the Drive fitness test... that way you can figure out if it's the hard drive or something else... if it isn't the hard drive, then you have one less piece of hardware to speculate...

The 75GXP model hard drives from IBM have the highest failure rate... no, not all fail, but I see a lot of them dying.

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Here's a status report

I've ran the IBM DriveFitness test, and it showed there were bad sectors. I ran a low-lvl format, tested the drive again, and it showed everyting was fine. I then proceeded to install WinXP. Bout half way thru the installation process, a BSOD.
It read:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQAL
STOP code: 0x0000000A

Then I disabled both the L1 & L2 cache & the bios virus checker just in case it was my mobo. Rebooted, let WinXP setup started... and another BSOD

This time it read:
STOP: 0x0000008E

Am I safe to say it's the hard drive for sure?

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Certainly could be, run a thorough scandisk on it again.

Could be other hardware too.. remove all but 1 stick of ram & your video card.

Fdisk and reinstall again... see if it fails.

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
K, I think it's now the mobo. I've swapped out the hd onto another comp, and it works fine. But the minute I plug it into my orginal comp I get BSOD. I've replaced all the RAM, took out all cards, switch teh video back to the onboard, and even switched the HD's IDE cable.