Is my Hard drive dead?

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
Hi All,

I need some help with my external hard drive. Its a Seagate Free agent External hard drive.
It suddenly stopped working.

I tried running many tools but there were taking a long time and i read that sometimes the usb to sata conversion adapter goes faulty in those external interfaces. So i dismantled it and connected it directly to my PC.

Still no luck.
It picked up as a RAW drive, i then tried running a whole range of recovery tools, one at a time :) ... nothing worked.

So i gave up and decided to format and start over. I tried to format but that didn't work. I restarted my PC and now the drive is picked up as a "unknow drive" - Not initialised.

When i try to Initialise it, it fails giving a " Request could not be performed because of a I\O device error".

Is my hard drive dead?

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
Have you tried HD Tune yet? It's my choice to use first on all ailing drives. I know the Seagate Tools can take a long time to run, but about a year ago I had to return a Seagate External back to them under warranty. The service was superb. So nice in fact that they returned me a brand new USB 3 versus the USB 2 that I sent back.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If you can't even format it, then yeah, it most likely is dead.
Sell it on fleabay as a dead drive for $10-$20, and I bet someone will buy it.