Is my GPU on it's way out?

KingRoLo

Sep 15, 2007
I have a Palit 770 GTX and for the last few days im getting random artifacts appearing on screen, sometimes they appear instantly after booting up and other times takes hours while browsing the web. I cant run any GPU stress test without PC crashing instantly and I cant even open GeForce Experience control panel without artifacts appearing instantly.

I did a Windows memory diagnostic and it ran for around 40 mins without crashing outside the windows environment and a very quick CPU stress test just to see if any problem would arise, but nothing.

Also all my temps are fine GPU, CPU, SYS etc.

Is there any way to diagnose the GPU more specifically before writing it off entirely?

Do you think it's worth re-installing Windows as a just in case?

Thanks.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Sounds like classic failing video card symptoms.

Are your memory temps fine? You might want to check that the heatsinks aren't clogged with dust.

KingRoLo

Sep 15, 2007
I must admit I didn't expect this however it appears that after using a driver remover utility and installing latest nvidia driver the screen corruption has stopped, I can even run the benches again - weird, the way it was acting I was 90% sure this card was on It's way out.

I'll use a can of air spray to see if any dust is clogged around the memory sinks.

Thanks.

KingRoLo

Sep 15, 2007
Definitely worth trying the easiest/cheapest 1st as faulty hardware generally is the last to malfunction wouldn't you agree? However if you had seen my screen with huge flashing blocks all over the desktop and crashing instantly when you ran a benchmark then like me you may of gulped and looked at your bank account. In fact I did actually initially update my drivers but it didn't resolve anything. It was only when I used a GPU driver removal utility and a re-install of latest drivers was when the problem went away.

KingRoLo

Sep 15, 2007
Bump, well i spoke to soon. After 2 weeks without problems the the strange blocks and corruption have returned and I get a video TDR failure message. So i researched and it could be a whole manner of problems, people seem to be saying that it is a problem when PC goes to sleep or some kind of conflict between Intel HD drivers and nvidias.

Just to be sure I formatted and reinstalled just the basic drivers and screen corruption still returns after 20 mins of just using the desktop. I also rolled back to much earlier drivers Dec 2016 and it still occurs. Strangely enough I have been gaming non stop for an hour and it's been fine. This one has me stumped.

Is my card faulty or was it a windows update that caused it?