Is my Enlight 250w PSU enough for an AMD XP1600?

KaBudokan

Oct 10, 1999
I have an Enlight 7237 case, and I am getting ready to upgrade. I think I'll be getting an Epox 8k7a+ board and an XP1600. I currently have 2 7200rpm hd's, a plextor cd-rom, a dvd drive, and a Lite-on 24x burner. Video is an old TNT, which will eventually get upgraded, but isn't imperative since I don't really do any gaming.

Is the 7237 w/ 250w PSU enough, or should I buy a new PSU with a higher rating. The Enlight isn't on the AMD approved list, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

I can get a Highpower 300w AMD XP approved PSU for ~$30 or so, or the 340w for about $44. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I don't want to get all my upgrades, and then get stuck waiting for a new PSU in the mail, too.

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< The Enlight isn't on the AMD approved list, and I would rather be safe than sorry. >>

Dude, I think you answered your own question! BE SAFE, NOT SORRY...get a new PSU. If you really like the case, keep it and get a PSU replacement.

Since you are upgrading anyway, get AT LEAT a 330W or 350W unit from a good company like Enlight, Sparkle or Antec. It should be on the AMD Approved list. Don't waste money on a 300W unit that might not hold you over the next few processor upgrades.

KaBudokan

Oct 10, 1999

<< Dude, I think you answered your own question! BE SAFE, NOT SORRY...get a new PSU. If you really like the case, keep it and get a PSU replacement. >>

lol I was figuring that was the asnwer I would get - I answered it myself. Any comment on the Highpower PSU? It's approved by AMD. I figured I would probably get the 340w, which I think would be a better call since I'm upgrading.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
well we are getting by witha sparkle 250 for an athlon XP 1500+, But that is pushing it IMHO. If you buy a new power supply a 330 watts should last a while.