Is my computer to slow?

pooruser

May 22, 2001
Is this the slowest computer on the forum? Can I use standard memory for it?

Compaq Presario 5474.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
pooruser, no, you don't have the slowest computer here.
but you probably do have one of crappiest. ;)

Don't worry, there is still time for you to sell that Compaq and get a real computer. :)

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I have a older Compaq laptop and it hold up fine.
just have to remove all that bloatware that Compaq puts on it then its fine.

pooruser

May 22, 2001
Did trash the Compaq resource eaters. Now running 96% from startup. It actually runs fine. But can anyone help me out.
I need to have more memory, can it run with standard PC100 memory or do I have to buy expensive Compaq memory?

New to the forum so excuse the strange html code on the bottom, should be my 'Rig' page.

:cool:

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

<< Is this the slowest computer on the forum? Can I use standard memory for it?

Compaq Presario 5474.
>>

Way faster than mine!! :(

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
standard is good. the &quot;compaq&quot; ram is the SAME as the standard ram you mind online or in best buy, etc, only it's marked up 500%

pooruser

May 22, 2001
Phhiiuu! Sounds good, I thought I've been screwed. Compaq memorys are 100% more expensive than standard ones, at least in Sweden.
While on the subject (Compaq). The computer looks nice but compaq have a habit of providing an extremely crappy rescue disc which is not working properly by the way (don't mention the 'support' they give), some people told me that it is also a special version of Windows 98 for it. I am getting scared, can it run a standard Win98SE OS?
Thanks for the help on the memory mystery.

:disgust: