Is my bro's TV broken?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I'm home for the holidays for a couple of weeks and using my bro's Westy 37". He got it refurb from eCost (we don't rec'd that place btw.) Anyway, the TV makes this constant buzzing dial tone like sound (hard to describe.) Almost like bad audio reception. Sometimes the buzzing goes away but most of the time it's there and it's pretty annoying. He's using normal RCA cables (aka the cheapest ones from monoprice) if that matters. Is his TV really messed up or is there anything we can do to fix it? eCost customer "service" is horrid and of no help. Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention, it happens almost always when watching cable TV (he has Cablecard) and almost never when using his PS3 (though it still happens some.) Cable TV is fine on his other TV (a 26" CRT tube.)

RavenGuard

Jul 22, 2007
Hmm. My crappy 27" crt used to make a high-pitched soudn you could barely hear unless you were tuned into it, but it was most noticeable when a bright/white image was displayed. Is it similar in your case, and it tends to make the noise more when a brighter image is displayed, and almost no noise at all with a darker image?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Hmm... can't say I've noticed. It's a VERY loud noise though, not something you'd have to listen for (similar to the dial tone of a phone on speakerphone but volume of it is JUST below that of the audio.) With cable TV it's louder than with other inputs. On his PS3, it's either almost nonexistant or not there entirely.