Is my Athlon overclockable?

qacwac

Oct 12, 2000
I bought an athlon 700 last December. How do I determine if it is overclockable? I'll provide any more information that is asked, but I don't know what else you need to know.

Or please direct me to a site that explains it.

Thanks.

Rigoletto

Banned
Aug 6, 2000
You must have a slot A like me.
You can buy a "goldfinger" device from hardware sites, but don't expect huge speed increases, and budget for a fan that shifts LOTS of air. I bet your Athlon runs hot. I wouldn't expect more than 850 from your 700. In all the goldfinger will cost 2 or 3x as much as a powerful fan so we aren't blessed with the most cost-effective overclocking solution.
Of course the Athlon is deliciously fast anyway, but if you must have the most speed, you have to overclock on Socket A, I think.

Fenix793

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
Actually an athlon 700 should be able to go to 900mhz with a good cooling setup. I actually ordered a GFD on Monday to seee how high my Athlon can go. So long as your athlon has a .18 micron core you should be able to get some good speed out of it.

bolomite

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2000
Take a gander at my sig. Just got my GFD recently for under $20 shipped.

OuranosEXX

Oct 18, 2000
a friend of mine has an 700 athlon (slot A) and using the afterburner (a card like goldfinger) has putted it at 945 (9 multiplier thought afterburner, 105mhz fsb) with an big heatisnk + 2 60mm fans
it runs very stable

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Your processor is most definetly a candidate to be overclocked...DON'T let Mr. Rigoletto burst your bubble so fast...
for about $50 you can overclock your athlon. All you need is a GFD (Gold finger device)..they run about $20 now. Then you will need a good Heatsink and fan..I would recommend the Alpha P7125, which will run about $30. If you goto this site: Overclocking Basics, it will give you a good run down of what has to be done to overclock your athlon, by the way do not be intimidated by the removal of the plastic case surrounding the CPU. The removal actually will keep your CPU cooler.
Another factor as to why you might overclock..Odds are that your Athlon 700 is actually higher than that...but you can't tell for sure unless you rip off the heatplate ( I wouldn't do that yet)..AMD usually puts higher rated cpu's in then underclocks them.
Anyway ..good luck..if you need anymore assistance let me know..