Is my 4790K running too hot?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I have a 3 year old build with a 4790K, Asus Z97-AR mobo and i put a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim cooler on it and I have 4 case fans in an old Antec 300 case. I am doing a couple handbrake encodes and my CPU is going to 68-70 degrees Celsius. I ran the Asus fan tuning app (i use standard option) i hear the fans ramping up but my fan thresholds seem like this CPU is running too hot. I am not overclocking although i did run the Asus app to attempt it and it wanted to run it at 4.6GHz but I reset that so i am back to stock settings.

Should i be worried? I read online that 72 degrees is the threshold i should stay under.

If I were to overclock what temp would i want to stay under if different than non overclocked.

I should add that i switched the fan setting to turbo and now my CPU temp is 68 degrees, should i be concerned?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
From what I can tell reading through many 4790k temp postings on various forums, it appears to be normal. 80c is what you want to stay under, but I can't remember if the CPU throttles at 90c or 100c, I would have to look that up to say for sure.

I know the PC I built for my son which has a i5-4590, runs much warmer than my Skylake build. Both of the PCs use the same Noctua NH-U12S cooler. After using the computer a bit doing various desktop tasks that push the CPU a bit, when I hold my hand by his rear exhaust fan, the air coming out feels much warmer than mine.

When I first built it and tested it with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the temps ran higher than my PC, but since it's been over a year, I can't remember exactly how much higher. Later today I can do a 10 minute run on each PC and tell you the exact differences.

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
I can't say anything about what kind of temperatures are acceptable but the culprit behind your high temps despite you using an aftermarket cooler is the crappy thermal paste Intel uses between the CPU die and the heatspreader. They've been doing it since Ivy Bridge.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I can't say anything about what kind of temperatures are acceptable but the culprit behind your high temps despite you using an aftermarket cooler is the crappy thermal paste Intel uses between the CPU die and the heatspreader. They've been doing it since Ivy Bridge.

I am not going to open the heat spreader and fix that. But i do remember reading about this issue.

From what I can tell reading through many 4790k temp postings on various forums, it appears to be normal. 80c is what you want to stay under, but I can't remember if the CPU throttles at 90c or 100c, I would have to look that up to say for sure.

I know the PC I built for my son which has a i5-4590, runs much warmer than my Skylake build. Both of the PCs use the same Noctua NH-U12S cooler. After using the computer a bit doing various desktop tasks that push the CPU a bit, when I hold my hand by his rear exhaust fan, the air coming out feels much warmer than mine.

When I first built it and tested it with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the temps ran higher than my PC, but since it's been over a year, I can't remember exactly how much higher. Later today I can do a 10 minute run on each PC and tell you the exact differences.

No need, I found an article at http://www.itrw-pc.com/featured/intel-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-overclocking-guide/

with the following:

Temperatures should not be allowed to exceed 85 degrees Celsius for any extended period of time, to protect your CPU from potential damage. A good target temperature to keep in mind is around 77-80 degrees Celsius under load, however, this is a just a rough safe zone.

That seems too high but AMD prior to Bulldozer that i had ran hot so maybe i am being to concerned.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
So then if these older gen CPU's run hot does that mean anyone overclock by air have a lot of noise coming from their cases? i was tempted to overclock but i don't want to hear my case like i am not at 72 degrees.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Here is a review of your cooler where they do their tests using a 4790k:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/be_quiet_pure_rock_slim_cpu_cooler_review,6.html

I think if you were wanting to overclock, you would need to get a different cooler.

Interesting, the thing is until 8 months ago i had a stock cooler and it was way too loud and this Be Quiet is way better but now I see it is the worst for overclocking. That link explains the high heat I am seeing and yet it is way better than the crappy stock cooler i used for too long.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Interesting, the thing is until 8 months ago i had a stock cooler and it was way too loud and this Be Quiet is way better but now I see it is the worst for overclocking. That link explains the high heat I am seeing and yet it is way better than the crappy stock cooler i used for too long.

I was kind of surprised by temps of your cooler in that review. I kind of assumed your cooler would be similar in performance to my Noctua NH-U12S, but it finishes pretty low in performance.

At least you have quieter cooler than the stock Intel cooler.

Reactions: JimKiler

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I'd reapply your thermal paste as suggested by richierich1212.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'd reapply your thermal paste as suggested by richierich1212.

I don't think that will do much for him. His temps are are almost exactly the same of what they found in the Guru3D review. The 4790k runs warm, and his cooler is aimed at being quiet, not performance.

index.php

index.php

Last edited: