Is Multi-GPU (for gaming) really dying? Or are people just saying that?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I love talking about this stuff. What would I do without you guys? This thread has been a special emotional roller coaster for me. Deciding to go multi GPU or not is like deciding whether or not to have another child. Heavy decisions...

It's also much better than the current speculation threads for both Pascal and Polaris....I think the only thing that hasn't been speculated yet is why they both start with P.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It's also much better than the current speculation threads for both Pascal and Polaris....I think the only thing that hasn't been speculated yet is why they both start with P.

The letter "P" is the 16th letter of the alphabet, and Polaris and Pascal are both the 16th major architectural release for both companies. They are in this together, pretending to be enemies, and we fell for it...until now.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Quickly now, start a new thread.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

$Profits

:D

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Yes VR is a gimmick, the fact that everyone is investing in it (AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Sony, Microsoft, Google, Valve, HTC, Samsung, Facebook etc.), and the fact that everyone who has actually review the finished product has had nothing but praise for them, is of course just a big conspiracy. It's not like the biggest tech companies in the world nor the tech press has any clue what consumers want, unlike random internet posters :rolleyes:

Also it's funny that you should mention a near doubling of FPS, as VR basically ensures that you will get that (plus perfect compatibility and zero microstutter)

If you recall, companies dumped massive amounts of money into 3dtv also and people raved about it, but it died a very quick death in about 3 years.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
If you recall, companies dumped massive amounts of money into 3dtv also and people raved about it, but it died a very quick death in about 3 years.
Except VR/AR isn't dying the same death. For instance autonomous driving is one major application of this tech, at least some part of it, & that is an enormous untapped market. The self driving cars will be a boom like no other, then you have flying cars (remember fifth element) which will need the same, even more enormous horsepower from the upcoming SoC's powering these ventures.

It's not as if 3d wasn't useful, in fact VR/AR is just a continuation of that experiment :D

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Its because of the stupid glasses. That's the reason. I remember some excitement about the possibility of TV's that don't need the glasses, but those didn't work out for some reason.
This VR stuff will never work out for common home use. Its ridiculous to think it will. Simply wearing 3D glasses is too much to ask of people. Complicating their perception of their environment is asking too much of them. VR is like 10x worse than 3D glasses. It will be niche, it will be exciting, and then it will die in the home and may be used elsewhere...maybe. I still think it will likely die altogether.
VR is like a beautiful firework. It shoots into the sky and you can see the trail of sparks waving up, up, up! Here it comes and OMG its going to be great and BOOM YES AMAZING....now its gone.

book_ed

Apr 8, 2016
It depends what you do with VR. You can have interactive lessons in VR without the need of going physically to some classes, you can more easily visualize and practice how to do stuff - like repairing a vehicle, building stuff, etc., then on tourism by visit places and so on so forth.

The thing that could be bury VR would be the lack of applications to actually make good use of it.

Even in games, isn't there a possibility to emulate a large screen in front of you, but also some wall or some fix point of observation for the eye so it recognize it's a screen and not the whole body is in that experience, like seating in a virtual cinema seat looking at a big screen? Inside that virtual cinema room, you could potentially have the screen bent at 90*, which will mean a multi display configuration + track vr in real life, but made in a virtual environment, with a screen as big as you like/feel comfortable with and with less headaches in regards to room space.

Last edited:

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012

No one ever really "raved" about 3D TVs (except for the companies themselves of course). You didn't really see any reviews of 3D TVs that were anywhere near as enthusiastic as the ones we're seeing for VR.