Is Might & Magic X easy to get into?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I want to try to get into a new genre, was thinking something like a dungeon crawler and this one to me reminds me of "Eye of the beholder" that I played a few times back in the day.

Is X easy to get into for a newbie of the genre? Does anyone know how it will run on a new MBP retina? it has Intel's optic GPU or whatever the hell it's called so not sure how it compares to the games requirement.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Absolutely. The game is streamlined and there is nothing archaic that makes it difficult. It maps for you, food is only used to restore health/mana, and quests are autotracked. Fantastic game.

Not familiar with a MBP though. I played before the game was patched up, so it might run better now than when I played it. I played 90% of it on a 4 year old PC with a 9800 GTX graphic card, right before I upgraded. I finished it on the upgraded system and the difference was that some map movements were a bit smoother. The game was just unoptimized.

Edit: I give the game a solid 8. I would have preferred it to be much larger of a world, but it is the only thing like it that has been released in a very long time, and I found it very enjoyable.

Last edited:

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
yes, they dumbed it down to the point of annoyance.
I disagree. Dumbing down is not the same as streamlining. I like it much more than the previous ones.

To the OP, yes, it's easy to get into. Combat (and movement) is turn based so it's all about tactics. Word of advice, it's very 'hands off'... Quests won't mark on the map or show big arrows for where you have to go, neither will they show a 'level', so you will find enemies that are too strong for you constantly. I like it better that way.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
I disagree. Dumbing down is not the same as streamlining. I like it much more than the previous ones.

To the OP, yes, it's easy to get into. Combat (and movement) is turn based so it's all about tactics. Word of advice, it's very 'hands off'... Quests won't mark on the map or show big arrows for where you have to go, neither will they show a 'level', so you will find enemies that are too strong for you constantly. I like it better that way.

Been playing this quite a bit. welcome surprise.

Been a while since I played an RPG with the fore mentioned qualities. No level scaling...you will run into stuff that will kick your ass. The game isn't terribly complicated but it doesn't hold your hand either.

Anyway, yeah I would say it is easy to get into. Not sure if it is easy to finish. I have died quite a bit ( playing on normal ), and you have to navigate around the land quite a bit. that part can be a bit tedious/frustrating but it is a nice change of pace at the same time.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks. I just need to find out how it will run on this laptop, too bad they don't have a demo. What kind of OSX benchmark could I run to determine if this game will run oK?

I don't mind that stuff. However as long as the quests are mentioned in game somehow about where I'm supposed to go. I don't need a marker but then again I don't want there to be no information on how to proceed either if the map is of any size.

So this game is basically like a dungeon crawler right? Similar in some style to Eye of Beholder?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've never played Eye of the Beholder.

The modern comparison would be Legend of Grimrock although with less annoying puzzles and half of the game takes place outside of dungeons/buildings. I preferred it over Grimrock myself.

There's probably many gameplay videos on youtube.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks. I just need to find out how it will run on this laptop, too bad they don't have a demo. What kind of OSX benchmark could I run to determine if this game will run oK?

I don't mind that stuff. However as long as the quests are mentioned in game somehow about where I'm supposed to go. I don't need a marker but then again I don't want there to be no information on how to proceed either if the map is of any size.

So this game is basically like a dungeon crawler right? Similar in some style to Eye of Beholder?
well not a dungeon crawler per-se since there are outdoors, and different towns. Also IIRC eye of the beholder was more real time-ish in that you clicked on buttons as soon as they became available. This one is pure turn-based.
Yes, quests will mention whereabouts of their locations, like 'west of the lighthouse', etc. and you can usually see those landmarks in the map.