Is medium spicier than mild?

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
I'm always confused by the difference between medium and mild. Is mild spicier/sharper when it comes to sauces, cheeses, etc?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
WTF? I was ahead of you guys a few minutes ago! I had the first reply!

I saw it as me then you, but after I edited my message, it got changed around.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
mmm, extra sharp cheddar.

and yes medium is almost always spicier/sharper than mild.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
WTF? I was ahead of you guys a few minutes ago! I had the first reply!

You know the expression "when pigs fly"? Well, thanks a lot.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Depends where you live. Up here in the North mild, medium, and "hot" are all mild at best IMO.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Anyone tried Taco Bell's FIRE sauce? It seems to be less hot than the medium and tastes much better.

That's all I get there.

K, gotta go poop now.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Depends where you live. Up here in the North mild, medium, and "hot" are all mild at best IMO.

Can you post in a larger font? I can't read your post because all of your manly chest hair is blocking my screen.

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: Shawn
Mild is for wimps. Medium is for women. Hot is for men.

And then whatever is above hot is for real men. :)

second that motion!!! usually atomic or "you will regret it later" flavors :confused:

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
You seriously couldn't figure out if medium was the medium of the other flavors or not?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
American "spice" guide
"mild" = extremely tame. No burn at all, 0 scoville rating.
"medium" = very tame, no noticable burn, tastes like maybe they added a dash of black pepper to it, scoville rating, extremely low.
"hot" = tame, tiny tiny tiny small little hint of heat in the food. like, maybe they added one jalapeno to the whole dish or like 3 drops of tobasco sauce. Still overall very mild.

My biggest complaint about this great country, is the fact that so many people are so fussy about capsaicin in their food.
Also, I hate it when I go to some Thai restaurants, and ask them to make it super spicy and they make it mild because I am white. I have found a couple of places, where I make it a point, then drive it home, and then just to confirm that I do in fact want them to attempt to kill me with peppers I ask for extra hot peppers or sauce to add as well in case the cook does not make it spicy enough. Then I am sure to put several heaping tablespoons of hot sauce on my food.

Once food is spicy enough to a certain point, when eating becomes a sweatfest .... the food is SOOOOOO good ... It is beyond words.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
The color convention pretty much sums it up:

Spicy = Red
Med = Yellow
Mild = Green

Just like traffic lights :p

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Anyone tried Taco Bell's FIRE sauce? It seems to be less hot than the medium and tastes much better.

That's all I get there.

K, gotta go poop now.

I think it's probably still hotter, but I agree that it is the best tasting sauce. I have to tell them to give me lots in the drive-through, though. They look at me (white) and give me like two of them.

K, gotta go poop, too.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
It depends. Pace Picante Sauce (4 or 5 bucks for a large jug at your local Costco) has mild, medium, and hot. They escalate heat wise in that manner.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
American "spice" guide
"mild" = extremely tame. No burn at all, 0 scoville rating.
"medium" = very tame, no noticable burn, tastes like maybe they added a dash of black pepper to it, scoville rating, extremely low.
"hot" = tame, tiny tiny tiny small little hint of heat in the food. like, maybe they added one jalapeno to the whole dish or like 3 drops of tobasco sauce. Still overall very mild.

My biggest complaint about this great country, is the fact that so many people are so fussy about capsaicin in their food.
Also, I hate it when I go to some Thai restaurants, and ask them to make it super spicy and they make it mild because I am white. I have found a couple of places, where I make it a point, then drive it home, and then just to confirm that I do in fact want them to attempt to kill me with peppers I ask for extra hot peppers or sauce to add as well in case the cook does not make it spicy enough. Then I am sure to put several heaping tablespoons of hot sauce on my food.

Once food is spicy enough to a certain point, when eating becomes a sweatfest .... the food is SOOOOOO good ... It is beyond words.

I agree 100% Almost every pepper product I've tried, I'd consider the "spicy" version to be mild, and would go up from there. I haven't had a commercially prepared food that I would consider too hot.

At a local pub, they have buffalo wigs with various levels of heat. You can also get wraps made with boneless chicken, and your choice of sauce. Twice I've ordered the nuclear sauce, and they've given me dire warnings, and recommended against it. The last time, the server comes back with this shit eating grin, and asks me how I liked my wrap(assuming it would be too hot). The look on his face was priceless when he saw I had about 2 bites left, and I responded with delicious! :^D