Is living near high voltage lines dangerous to your health?

LivinLaVivaPollo

Dec 29, 2000
My parents are moving to placer county in California, to this little city called Roseville. They have their hearts set on a part of Roseville called Woodcreek West. The particular housing community they are looking at are REALLY close to high voltage power lines, and a portion of the development is actually under some power lines. I went with them this past weekend to look at the houses, and they sure look nice, but how much is it worth living there if there are some long term implications? My 10 year old sister is going to be the only child in the new house, and I worry about her health as much as I worry about my parents, if not more. The particular house they WANTED to get was about 40 feet away from a power line tower, but they are waiting until the next release of houses to see if they can get a house a bit further away.

My questions are about whether or not there has been proof that living near power lines or long term exposure to EMF radiation is hazardous to your health, and whether or not some of you ATOT'ers have been living near power lines and what about your telephone, cellular phones, speakers, etc... any kind of interference? Do you get a shock from the car every morning? I tried looking online for information, but most of the formal documents are really cumbersome to read. Thanks guys!

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
I would not want to live there. I don't see how there could not be any affects on the human body

Mike:cool:

Namlemez

Jan 2, 2000
Huge statistical studies have proven no correlation between power lines and bad health in the short term or long term (well not past like 20 years I think.)

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I'm screwed then because my dad has worked at a Nuclear Power Plant for my whole life and we live right next to the entire town's sub station which has been fried by quite a few squirrels who don't understand power, talk about an early/late fourth of July:)

Jokeram

Golden Member
May 9, 2001
it won't be dangerous unless they go touch it :) nothing to worry about.. there are a few people that have lived near high voltage lines for almost 40 years now.. nothing that I can see.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I lived near high power lines in Russia, and I came out OK. Oh, wait a second... so that's why :D
Anyways, it never bothered me much, but my grandpa has a pacemaker, and he said it was acting weird when he was on the side of the house closest to the lines. I think the magnetic field from the lines was inducing small currents in the pacemaker.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
there have been some absoulutely astounding "coincidences" concerning people living near High voltage lines but IIRC studies have shown no correlation officially.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You ask this question as you sit bathed in the glow of electromagnetic radiation from your monitor.... and as 1,000,000 watts of power stream out through the air from KXYZ radio down the street. As there's wires carrying 110 or 220 volts strung through each wall of your house..... just inches away from your head every night when you sleep....

I wouldn't worry about it. Biggest problem is going to be the obstrucion to the view. Anyway... Roseville's nice, I live near there :)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

<< You ask this question as you sit bathed in the glow of electromagnetic radiation from your monitor.... and as 1,000,000 watts of power stream out through the air from KXYZ radio down the street. As there's wires carrying 110 or 220 volts strung through each wall of your house..... just inches away from your head every night when you sleep.... >>

Don't forget talking on a cellphone and holding a 800 MHZ EM radiation source to your head.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Is living near high voltage lines dangerous to your health?

dude, your going to die.