Is Linux just anti-overclocking, or what?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is the SECOND time, that attempting to install Linux, on an otherwise STABLE overclocked system, outright FAILS MASSIVELY.

It's not the the overclock was pushing it too hard, either, because I clocked the BLCK down 5, and it still wouldn't boot off of the USB.

IIRC, I even installed Win10 while it was overclocked. That's how much Win10 embraces overclocked rigs.

I remember back in the day, I tried installing OS/2 on a 486DX/2 rig I built myself, and it wouldn't even install, while Win95 installed like the breeze.

Windows is just programmed "better" I guess? Not trying to override every setting on the platform, and just rolling with it?

I want to like Linux; really I do. But I also like my overclocking, and if Linux won't even boot on a BCLK OCed Skylake rig, while Win10 breezes on through, then it's going to be Win10 for me on this rig.

Sad but true, Linux lags behind.

Reactions: Drazick

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Now when you say stable, are you taling 24/7 prime95 avx2 stable?
I think that you are alot more prone to silent data corruption under windows than under *nix.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Reset to factory clocks, install Linux, and then overclock. Personally I don't it's a good idea to install operating systems or other system software on a overclocked rig to begin with.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Usually, when a O/C fails on linux, that is telling me that the O/C is not stable to begin with.
Then again, what error messages are you seeing? We talking kernel dumps, lockups, or what?
It is also possible that the kernel you are using isn't made for your specific hardware, and it might belch at that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
All I wanted to do was a manual Secure Erase. Setting BLCK back to 100 allowed Linux Mint 18.1 to boot, although there was a massive wall of ACPI-parsing errors, apparently this BIOS revision was not built with Linux in mind.

Linux Mint 18.1 didn't support my RX 460 video card, and was running in Software Rendering mode. Which, if you want to Secure Erase, is apparently Really Bad. Why? Because, when you set the PC to Suspend mode, to get the SSD un-frozen, it never inits the display back up. Left with no video output. Bah.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hmm. While Mint is usually not cutting-edge, it is based on Ubuntu 16.04 at the present. Have you had any problems with Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
linux is good at not hiding instability
If you really wanna stress test a system: boot into linux, compile firefox from source, then run a few phoronix gaming benchmarks (or just play the games).

Reactions: Nothingness

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
If by SKL OC you mean disabling CPU power management (or rather not initializing it) so that core temperatures, C-States, AVX etc don't work then I could see Linux having a problem with that and it not being an effect of OC being unstable.

Warp4, that brings back memories. :)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
my rig has been running linux fine for years with this OC. specs in sig. Never had an issue.

Feb 25, 2011
my rig has been running linux fine for years with this OC. specs in sig. Never had an issue.
Mine too. Been using Linux Mint 17 on and off for a year and a half.

Although GPU support is spotty. You do usually have to install the proprietary drivers, and upgrading them can be a bit of a hassle - manually removing the old drivers and then installing the new ones in safe mode is the only way I've gotten it to work.

Still, out-of-the-box Vanilla Ubuntu w/ Unity works fine too.

I think it's just Larry's rig being stable enough for web browsing and not much else.

edit: also possible there isn't driver support for the hardware Larry's using? Maybe. I've had issues with that before - in six months, you get a new ISO and it just works. PC-BSD is worse though. I bought a used laptop on newegg for $300, and it was still too new (at over a year old) for the i3-2xxx series IGP to have built in support in PC-BSD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think it's just Larry's rig being stable enough for web browsing and not much else.
I had been running PrimeGrid on it on three cores, and F@H on the GPU and one CPU core. Seemed stable enough for DC work, which... is pretty stable, all things considered.

edit: also possible there isn't driver support for the hardware Larry's using? Maybe. I've had issues with that before - in six months, you get a new ISO and it just works. PC-BSD is worse though. I bought a used laptop on newegg for $300, and it was still too new (at over a year old) for the i3-2xxx series IGP to have built in support in PC-BSD.
Yeah, there doesn't appear to be any OOTB support for the Radeon RX 460 card, Linux Mint 18.1 comes up and says "Software Rendering Mode". Which doesn't work with Suspend, the display goes off, but never comes back on.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That version of Mint is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which doesn't have the open-source AMD driver for the 460 included. You really need Ubuntu 16.10 or a distro based on it.

Feb 25, 2011
That version of Mint is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which doesn't have the open-source AMD driver for the 460 included. You really need Ubuntu 16.10 or a distro based on it.
Would a distro with a "rolling" release schedule like Arch be a better solution? (In your opinion?)

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
This is the SECOND time, that attempting to install Linux, on an otherwise STABLE overclocked system, outright FAILS MASSIVELY.

It's not the the overclock was pushing it too hard, either, because I clocked the BLCK down 5, and it still wouldn't boot off of the USB.

IIRC, I even installed Win10 while it was overclocked. That's how much Win10 embraces overclocked rigs.

I remember back in the day, I tried installing OS/2 on a 486DX/2 rig I built myself, and it wouldn't even install, while Win95 installed like the breeze.

Windows is just programmed "better" I guess? Not trying to override every setting on the platform, and just rolling with it?

I want to like Linux; really I do. But I also like my overclocking, and if Linux won't even boot on a BCLK OCed Skylake rig, while Win10 breezes on through, then it's going to be Win10 for me on this rig.

Sad but true, Linux lags behind.

Try out this:

https://clearlinux.org/

This is a distro maintained by intel (i think) and it's usually best optimized for intel cpu's.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Would a distro with a "rolling" release schedule like Arch be a better solution? (In your opinion?)

Eh, I hate to recommend anything that isn't based on Ubuntu if only because almost everything third part in Linux has a Ubuntu PPA or package. It is the defacto consumer linux OS.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's Ubuntu/Debian or Redhat these days. That's just how it is.

Also I don't know anything about Mint's package management or repos, but shouldn't a 16.04 LTS derivative just be able to install/use AMDGPU Pro?