Is KOTOR old enough for a remake? Why aren't there more scifi rpgs?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I would love to see a graphical facelift or a refresh be done to KOTOR. I have a weak spot for scifi rpgs and there just are'nt that many of them. For ever scifi rpg there's probably about 30 or 40 sword and sorcery ones.

Going back over the last couple of decades there are probably less than 15 scifi rpgs that I can remember. The Fallout series, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, KOTOR, Final Fantasy, Shadowrun (going way back on those games), Septerra Core (anyone remember that one) and maybe a couple more I'm missing. Not too impressive a list in contrast to the slew of sword and dungeon styled rpgs, I won't even bother to list those because I'd be typing for an hour.

Don't get me wrong I love creeping through dungeons and swinging a sword as much as the next guy but I just wish there more options to that theme. Nothing quite like upgrading your cybernetic implants for stealth missions or hacking into military mainframes.

Are there any developers currently working on a scifi rpg for this year?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Ask and you shall receive. Right after I posted this thread I found this site: http://cyberpunk.net/

Apparently the creators of the Witcher are currently working on a open world scifi rpg. I could'nt find any actual screenshots or videos yet, but this is really exciting.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Thanks for info. :thumbsup:
After the first two Witcher games, any CD Projekt Red game goes right to the top of my priority list.

Oh, and i still dream of someday seeing a professional remake of System Shock 2.

Madia

May 2, 2006
I would love to see a graphical facelift or a refresh be done to KOTOR. I have a weak spot for scifi rpgs and there just are'nt that many of them. For ever scifi rpg there's probably about 30 or 40 sword and sorcery ones.

Going back over the last couple of decades there are probably less than 15 scifi rpgs that I can remember. The Fallout series, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, KOTOR, Final Fantasy, Shadowrun (going way back on those games), Septerra Core (anyone remember that one) and maybe a couple more I'm missing. Not too impressive a list in contrast to the slew of sword and dungeon styled rpgs, I won't even bother to list those because I'd be typing for an hour.

I don't think an HD/Enhanced Edition would ever be done for KOTOR just because of the licensing issues. As for the number of fantasy rpg's vs. scifi rpg's, I think the number is skewed toward fantasy just because there's a lot of junk/mediocre rpg's out there (two worlds, risen, etc.). If you look at the the aaa titles the ratio of scifi to fantasy is much better.

Also, with many action games including rpg elements and many rpg's including action elements it's sometimes hard to define the exact genre. For example what is Bioshock? Is it a fps with rpg elements or a rpg with a fps interface? And what type of game is it? Sci-fi? Horror? Action? Ask the same questions for Dishonored. Usually you end up getting a lot of slash answers such as Mass Effect 2 is a great rpg/action game.

Personally I enjoy the trend of rpg's bringing in action game elements and action games bringing in rpg's elements provided they're done right. When they're done right you get a great game like Mass Effect 2. When they're done poorly you get a game like Dragon Age 2.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I don't understand why more games are no remade. Hell, Hollywood remakes movies every few years it seems to be.

I'd love to see modern updates/reboots of games like Ultima 7 and Kotor.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I don't understand why more games are no remade. Hell, Hollywood remakes movies every few years it seems to be.

I'd love to see modern updates/reboots of games like Ultima 7 and Kotor.
Agreed, and in fact games benefit from remakes more than movies because the technology grows so quickly. Update the graphics/physics, throw a touch more content, I'd be happy to replay a bunch of games.

Like the OP my preference is sci-fi RPGs. I find most of the sword/sorcery ones patently boring and full of nonsensical crap. Just feels like the same kind of story I would have played 20 years ago. Sci-fi games change as our own world's technology changes. E.g. the long-range instant transmission of Mass Effect is based upon things scientists have learned in our world.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
KOTOR's graphics was pretty good already; a remake wouldn't add much value. Personally I'd like to see a proper, non-MMO sequel in the KOTOR universe. But after the failure of The Old Republic, that franchise is unlikely to attract investment for a little while.

As for sci-fi RPGs, yeah I'd like to see more of them too. RPG has traditionally been a fantasy themed genre, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Like the OP my preference is sci-fi RPGs. I find most of the sword/sorcery ones patently boring and full of nonsensical crap. Just feels like the same kind of story I would have played 20 years ago. Sci-fi games change as our own world's technology changes. E.g. the long-range instant transmission of Mass Effect is based upon things scientists have learned in our world.

I agree. This also means that it is more difficult to craft a believable sci-fi universe than it is to craft a fantasy one. You can make up anything in a fantasy universe and nobody will question a thing, because it's fantasy, but sci-fi is supposed to revolve around mostly real science and its impact on humanity. Some games do this very well, like Deus Ex, where you can tell the writers and artists put a lot of thought into it. Mass Effect is another example. There is more artistic license, but that's unavoidable for the setting; it's mostly still internally consistent (though personally I still think it has too much fantasy influence). I want to see more of this kind of games.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
KOTOR's graphics was pretty good already; a remake wouldn't add much value. Personally I'd like to see a proper, non-MMO sequel in the KOTOR universe. But after the failure of The Old Republic, that franchise is unlikely to attract investment for a little while.

I would much rather see a third installment of KOTOR to tie up the plot from the first 2 games rather than a remake. I was very disappointed in Bioware/EA/Lucas Arts for turning the franchise into an MMO and never making a third single player game.

Perhaps with Disney (??!!) buying the Star Wars franchise IP there will be renewed interest and more co-operative licensing, but I hold out little hope.

blackwhiskers

Jan 6, 2013
did you try deus ex: human revolution? that one was truly wonderful.

but sadly, you named all the other big ones. btw, thumbs up for septerra core, I looooved that game, even though I never completed it (battles at one point became way too frequent and lengthy). but the storyline and riddles and stuff was great.