Is John Bolton next to go..

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I was reading the news and I got this

[
One day after Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld resigned, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee rebuffed the White House's resubmission of John Bolton as ambassador to the UN.
"The American people have spoken out against the president's agenda on a number of fronts, and presumably one of those is on foreign policy," said Chafee, who also said he is considering joining the Democrats. "And at this late stage in my term, I'm not going to endorse something the American people have spoke out against."

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Yes, and good riddance.

I read somewhere that if he is not confirmed he will not be paid his salary so they will have to give him another job somewhere t keep paying him.

We need a diplomat in that post not someone with an attitude.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have to wonder if GWB is simply using good negotiating tactics in the process of simple horse trading.
You start out with a set of totally unreasonable demands---and then later say---OK OK I will give up on Bolton---now what do I get in return?---in the compromise position of meeting somewhere in the middle.

But on Bolton---who GWB could not even sell to a GOP dominated Senate---I hope the democrats are smart enough to tell GWB---the value of the Bolton concession is zero.---because it was always DOA.

But if GWB is crazy enough to think he will score political points with the American people on Bolton,
I would tend to say---let him if he feels froggie.----it may motivate his unlosable small base--but will just show everyone else how out of touch GWB is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bolton is toast, as are any other fringe-whacks subject to Senatorial approval. Not that Dubya will notice. It'll be like Hitler in his bunker at the end of WW2, redeploying imaginary troops to counter the Russians...

The Bushistas don't cope with reality, they create it, remember? Except now, it'll only be in their own minds...

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Why stop at Bolton? If Bush is serious about charting a new course in the Iraq debacle and taking a new look at our foreign policy, than Condi Rice should also be considered for replacement. What has she done for you and me lately?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To Zedton,

This thread is about Bolton---Rice is quite another person. If Rice is toppled---it will likely come from subsequent investigations that have yet to start.

But Bolton will be almost certainly the next to go.---lets just take em one at a time!

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Whooo hoo!

Haul ass b1tch, and shave that caterpillar before you take someones eye out!

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Yes, and good riddance.

I read somewhere that if he is not confirmed he will not be paid his salary so they will have to give him another job somewhere t keep paying him.

He's probably a shoe-in for next FEMA director

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yep, he's out - and good riddance.

This made me laugh though: "
Bush said, "This stubborn obstructionism ill serves our country, and discourages men and women of talent from serving their nation."

What a joke.
But it's fine to fire anyone that isn't a yes-man, and to browbeat those who don't toe your idealogical line, despite what experience and common sense tells them.

Hey d!psh!t, if there's anything that's going to discourage men and women of talent from serving, it would be having to take orders from a short-sighted, arrogant prick of a C-in-C who's just a morally bankrupt chickenhawk.

Maybe Bush should stalk these troublesome Senators around DC, verbally abusing them and slipping threats on paper under their office doors. ;)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Originally posted by: Uhtrinity
Controversial U.N. ambassador to step down

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Unable to win Senate confirmation, U.N. Ambassador John Bolton will step down when his temporary appointment expires within weeks, the White House said Monday.

Best news of the week, now hopefully we can start to clean up this mess we have made of our image asap.

Translation: Stick head in sand and start kissing ass as much as possible.

This Bolton issue is one of the biggest pieces of fluff I have seen come through this press and the left in recent memory. Predictions of doom and gloom. The guy has been there for quite some time, never hear about him until the democrats win, then it is time to pull the boogeyman out of the closet.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Unable to win Senate confirmation, U.N. Ambassador John Bolton will step down when his temporary appointment expires within weeks, the White House said Monday.

Best news of the week, now hopefully we can start to clean up this mess we have made of our image asap.

This Bolton issue is one of the biggest pieces of fluff I have seen come through this press and the left in recent memory. Predictions of doom and gloom. The guy has been there for quite some time, never hear about him until the democrats win, then it is time to pull the boogeyman out of the closet.

Cry more!

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To Genx87---who wrote about Bolton---The guy has been there for quite some time, never hear about him

Well maybe you never heard about him but I have been following his record as UN ambassidor---and I think his record has been lousy at best---with his little stunt of trying to be the attendance police with men old enough to be his father does say much.---he is a arm twisting pitt bull---not a diplomat.
Such people get little done and incur resentment---and resistance.---and sure did not get much done on N. Korea---with S. Koprea and China underwhelmed with Bolton's efforts.

But if you did not follow his track record at the UN---does that excuse your ignorant statement?

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004

He's been blocking UN resolutions at a rate only China and Russia can imitate. It's about damned time he leaves. And he wasn't really appointed either.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
To Genx87---who wrote about Bolton---The guy has been there for quite some time, never hear about him

Well maybe you never heard about him but I have been following his record as UN ambassidor---and I think his record has been lousy at best---with his little stunt of trying to be the attendance police with men old enough to be his father does say much.---he is a arm twisting pitt bull---not a diplomat.
Such people get little done and incur resentment---and resistance.---and sure did not get much done on N. Korea---with S. Koprea and China underwhelmed with Bolton's efforts.

But if you did not follow his track record at the UN---does that excuse your ignorant statement?

And neither has anybody.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

As an ardent supporter of this admin, you've got some nuts to trying to dismiss this as just ordinary political lip service and distraction. Particulary when one considers all the obfuscation and boogeymen the GOP itself has employed over the last 6 years in particular. Nevermind that it isn't just Dems that want him gone. Or maybe your recent memory isn't all that good.

Terri Schaivo, gay marriage amendments, etc etc.. nahhhh, forget all that - the complaints of Mr. Anti-UN himself being appointed to the UN is the real fluff show. :roll:

Also, he was appointed March 7th, 2005 (but didn't start until August) - how is that "quite some time"? I realize it's a little subjective, but c'mon! Strom Thurmond served for 'quite some time.' Bolton hasn't even been around long enough for the original protest against him to settle down. This isn't a case of political showmanship (although I'm sure Rush has you convinced otherwise) it's a case of the wrong guy finally being removed from a job he never should have had. Kinda hard to respect a co-worker who spies on his comrades, or a leader who throws tantrums like a petulant child.

But speaking of doom and gloom, I find it funny that so many who applied the phrase to their opposition in years past are now using it themselves to prepare the American public for the disaster that was the loss of both Houses. Just something I've noticed lately on the radio. ;)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I find it strange how the minority can control the majority in our government. Dems don?t even need to wait for control before acting in control and removing Bolton. All the minority has to do is use a few key players to obstruct the vote.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

And neither has anybody.

Yeah but in a place like UN you need diplomacy skills not bully tactics to make a difference. After all a UN Ambassador is a diplomatic post like all Ambassadors.

Good effing riddance.

In any case he did not have a choice. Since outgoing senate refused to confirm his appointment, the rules state he cannot be paid after December and since there is no chance that he will be confirmed by the incoming senate he really didn't have a choice but to resign. Else he would have been thrown out.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

And neither has anybody.

Yeah but in a place like UN you need diplomacy skills not bully tactics to make a difference. After all a UN Ambassador is a diplomatic post like all Ambassadors.

Good effing riddance.

In any case he did not have a choice. Since outgoing senate refused to confirm his appointment, the rules state he cannot be paid after December and since there is no chance that he will be confirmed by the incoming senate he really didn't have a choice but to resign. Else he would have been thrown out.

In other words you want apologists and pacifists to ensure we're incapacitated. Viva nuclear proliferation.