Is Joe the Plumber correct??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
The only rights the left doesn't want any restrictions on are Abortion and voting.

If they could ban guns they would, no matter what the constitution says.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Are you positive of that?

I know one of the victim's fathers of one of the major shootings in recent years, and it hasn't changed his stance on gun ownership one bit.

The one thing I hate in these discussions is the particular victims who believe they are the greatest and most important victims on the planet, that nothing worse apparently has ever happened to anyone else, they deserve the spotlight and they deserve their "trump card" on victim sympathy.

You mean like your friend, who thinks his own gun rights are more important than his dead kid?

Your "friend" is a piece of shit and I feel sorry for his kid for having such a shit parent. That's just sad and pathetic, to not even care about your own kids death. Glad he's hurting and his child isn't anymore.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
facts: guns, cars, boats, knives, spoons, cigarettes, and alcohols do not kill by them self.

it is the "retard" behind the guns, the cars, the boats, the knives, the spoons, the cigarettes and the alcohols that kills.

so why not just fix the retard ??

It's too difficult to be nice to other people - it's far more easier to restrict their access to things.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
You mean like your friend, who thinks his own gun rights are more important than his dead kid?

Your "friend" is a piece of shit and I feel sorry for his kid for having such a shit parent. That's just sad and pathetic, to not even care about your own kids death. Glad he's hurting and his child isn't anymore.

Now you're spewing sentences out you don't know the first thing about.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Now you're spewing sentences out you don't know the first thing about.

Yeah I figured your "friend" was fictional. I don't even believe that anybody is that callous and stupid.

Maybe if you have sex one you'll perhaps have a kid and maybe one day you'll realize that child is more important than you having 30 round magazines.

Probably not tho

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Yeah I figured your "friend" was fictional. I don't even believe that anybody is that callous and stupid.

Maybe if you have sex one you'll perhaps have a kid and maybe one day you'll realize that child is more important than you having 30 round magazines.

Probably not tho

Lots of anger and rage inside of you. I won't go into further details because he is a good person who has a very close family and it is disrespectful for me to talk about others an open internet forum.

You have your opinion. Other people have their opinions.

Last edited:

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He's absolutely right. Those kids dying does not trump the second amendment rights of everyone else. Not very tactfully said, but truthful nonetheless.

We shouldn't make decisions based on emotional response to a particular incident, we should make them based on rational logic.

The anti-gun zealots want to exploit every tragedy to push gun control, we should not allow them to.

I'm all for measures that could keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill or criminals, but not at the expense of the rights of normal law abiding citizens.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
One thing I can guarantee you: If Elliot Roger had shot plumbers kids he would change his mind.
so we let emotion give way to stupid responses and loss of even more rights???

I guarantee you that if Joe the Plumber were to lose a child due to a gun....he would not change his mind!!

Some of you are using the loss of a child to try to convince others that having no guns because it would save children is worth losing our rights.....now that's a novel concept!!

Nov 25, 2013
A letter to the editor of the Hartford Courant by Donald K. Martin on March 19th.

"Yesterday I placed my shotgun on the front porch, gave it six shells, and noticing it had no legs, placed it in a wheelchair to help it get around. I left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the boy across the street picked up my yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near my house.

After 10 hours, I checked on the shotgun. It was still sitting in the wheelchair. It had not rolled outside and It had not killed anyone in spite of many opportunities that had been presented. It had not even loaded itself.

Can you imagine how surprised I was with all the hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people? Either the media is wrong and the killing is by people misusing guns or I’m in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

So now I’m off to check on my spoons, because I hear they make people fat."

Apparently you think this is a clever argument.

It's not.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A letter to the editor of the Hartford Courant by Donald K. Martin on March 19th.

"Yesterday I placed my shotgun on the front porch, gave it six shells, and noticing it had no legs, placed it in a wheelchair to help it get around. I left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the boy across the street picked up my yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near my house.

After 10 hours, I checked on the shotgun. It was still sitting in the wheelchair. It had not rolled outside and It had not killed anyone in spite of many opportunities that had been presented. It had not even loaded itself.

Can you imagine how surprised I was with all the hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people? Either the media is wrong and the killing is by people misusing guns or I’m in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

So now I’m off to check on my spoons, because I hear they make people fat."

Heh. I did the same things with 100 pounds of mining blasting caps and you know....it did exactly the same as the shotgun. Blasting caps for all should be a right.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Because with even minor tweaks to existing gun regulations practically impossible to pass as well as a very 2A friendly court system not to mention the seer mass of them out there totally doing away with guns isn't even within the realm of possibility but continually gets trotted out to feed the paranoia of all the morons like Mr. Plumber here.

IMO this completely misses the real issue: Those with mental health problems legally purchasing guns when they shouldn't be permitted. The Aurora movie shooter had been reported by his psychiatrist but the police/feds missed it when doing the required background check (NICS).

If we can't properly utilize the rules we already have I don't see any need in adding more. Let's just fix what's broken. (In that regard, the House just passed a measure to improve the NICS.)

Fern

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The only rights the left doesn't want any restrictions on are Abortion and voting.

If they could ban guns they would, no matter what the constitution says.

djrooms_anim03.gif

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
so we let emotion give way to stupid responses and loss of even more rights???

I guarantee you that if Joe the Plumber were to lose a child due to a gun....he would not change his mind!!

Some of you are using the loss of a child to try to convince others that having no guns because it would save children is worth losing our rights.....now that's a novel concept!!

You can't have everything you want.

And btw it's perfectly legitimate to restrict "good" gun owners rights to save children.

You gun people have this retarded idea that society should just let everybody do whatever they want at let people make their own justice. That's not how the world works.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Joe's a media whore, and he figured out exactly what to say in order to get another 15 minutes of fame.

That said, his statement is factually correct.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Joe's a media whore, and he figured out exactly what to say in order to get another 15 minutes of fame.

That said, his statement is factually correct.

Pretty sure its the media that is knocking on his door and following him around along with printing his letter in order to stir up shit not the other way around. If they really wanted to ignore the guy then he would be ignored and black listed.

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Wurzelbacher's letter was published on Barbwire Monday, days after one shooting victim's father blamed "craven, irresponsible politicians" and the National Rifle Association for his son's death.

The shooting victim's father is a fuckin douchebag. Too bad it wasn't the father that was killed instead of the kid.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
The issue has nothing to do with what happened in SB. There are tons of cases where mentally ill people buy guns and murder dozens. Holmes and Lanza come to mind, and that's just in the last few years.

One thing I can guarantee you: If Elliot Roger had shot plumbers kids he would change his mind.

Also California's Gun control laws are anything but restrictive. So you can't buy full auto weapons and you have to make a request 7 days in advance? OMG so hard, who the hell plans a $500+ purchase 7 days in advance?

WHY CAN'T I BUY GUNS AT TOYS R US MUH RIGHTS!

Explain to me how you are going to prevent crazy people from committing crimes that effect other people? Did you even realize that 13 years prior to the Santa Barbra event some nut case drove his car into a crowd of people and killed 4 individuals?

How about understanding that no amount of laws can stop a determined person looking to cause mass amounts of carnage in society if they are hell bent on doing so? Hell the Holmes guy had planned his spree for MONTHS and concocted his own home brew of tear gas, along with rigging his apartment with explosives he made himself. Tell me how you are going to put a obstacle toward that amount of crazy. Of which such nutters will not be obey the law or even think out rationally the consequences of their actions.

Additionally California's gun laws are restrictive. You pretending they are not does not make them so and neither does passing any more meaningless gun laws that will do ZERO to prevent the next nutcase from acting out in society. It won't ever be the final solution.

So while I can understand your fear laden desire and willingness to throw your rights under the bus for a false sense of security (meanwhile raging about the police state you begged for in the process) some of us however are not that foolish or naive.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Explain to me how you are going to prevent crazy people from committing crimes that effect other people? Did you even realize that 13 years prior to the Santa Barbra event some nut case drove his car into a crowd of people and killed 4 individuals?

How about understanding that no amount of laws can stop a determined person looking to cause mass amounts of carnage in society if they are hell bent on doing so? Hell the Holmes guy had planned his spree for MONTHS and concocted his own home brew of tear gas, along with rigging his apartment with explosives he made himself. Tell me how you are going to put a obstacle toward that amount of crazy. Of which such nutters will not be obey the law or even think out rationally the consequences of their actions.

Additionally California's gun laws are restrictive. You pretending they are not does not make them so and neither does passing any more meaningless gun laws that will do ZERO to prevent the next nutcase from acting out in society. It won't ever be the final solution.

So while I can understand your fear laden desire and willingness to throw your rights under the bus for a false sense of security (meanwhile raging about the police state you begged for in the process) some of us however are not that foolish or naive.

Here's how it works:

Adam Lanza wants to murder 30 children. Instead of just giving him the guns, as they did because no mental illness check, they tell him to fuck off. Instead off killing 26 ppl with a gun he goes home and slits his wrists.

For the sake of argument let's say he's gonna attack no matter what, he still only will kill a few with a knife. That still saved 23 peoples lives.

Edit: lol how is CA restrictive? It's extremely easy to get any reasonable weapon here.

Why do you want 30 round magazines? I'm starting to believe the people on this forum who love guns and 30rd magazines are the exact same people who are crazy enough to kill children?

Does it bother you to know that you'll never be able to murder all the kids that bullied you in highschool? I get it now

Last edited: