Is it wrong to vote on the issues?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Voting is always a compromise for me. No one candidate ever seems to agree with me on all of the issues. And you can't just count the issues in agreement and reach a decision. Some issues are minor and some are very important and need to carry a corresponding weight in my calculations. Sometimes it is even necessary to decide simply on which candidate could do the least damage. Voting is not for the faint-of-heart or feeble-minded if you truly want the best outcome.

Single issue voters have become the primary target of the Republicans i.e. if you're for the right to bear arms, never vote for a Dem, if you're against abortion, never vote for a Dem, against stem cell research, against gay marriage, for prayer/creationism/Christian symbols in government, same, same, same.

If you have been paying any attention at all to the health care issue, you would know that the Republicans have simply latched on to Limbaugh's "I want the President to fail" and are working hard to see that it happens. They have left themselves out because they have made a conscious decision to contribute nothing; simply oppose everything.

Saying "most of the people don't want health care reform" is absolutely wrong. Almost everybody can think of things that need changed.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Vote your conscience, vote for whichever platform the candidate truly and plainly plans to support, vote for the insight of the candidate, vote for rationality, vote for independence of thought, though true independence is an illusion. Vote for whomever has an overwhelming will to represent the interests of the constituency and resists the trappings of power.

Beware the person promising deliverance to all, for he or she plans to deliver none at all.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd just suggest that you do some research into what the candidates do and say when they are not in campaign mode, which is often radically different than their supposed campaign positions. As well, look at the groups that support them, as these groups generally have a lot of research resources and extensive access to the politician. Media sources will usually write whatever they think we make you support the candidate of their choice, but interest groups know who supports their agenda. If for example two candidates both profess their love for the right to bear arms but one is supported by the NRA and one by the Brady group, it doesn't take much work to know which one is actually pro-Second Amendment.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Odd, MAJORITY of Americans are against this bill.
But they don't know what they're talking about. Only the enlightened Senators who've been pimped up with lobbying dollars can truly opine on it.

Make no mistake Brown will be a brainless party-line towing twit just like the rest of his compatriots, including Coakley.