Is it worth going from SLI 560ti to single 770?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Subject basically states it but for additional info:
CPU/MB : 3090k with ASUS RIVE, H100 water cooler
GPUS: ASUS 560ti Direct CU TOP 1GB
Monitors: two or three 1080P
Usage: Games, programming, general usage (no bitcoin)
Games: Borderlands 2, StarCraft 2, Civ 5, BF4

First question, is it worth going from SLI 560ti to a single 770?

Second question, are there certain brands/models I should consider? I've had good luck with ASUS(MBs and GPUs) but would consider others.

Third question, should I consider non-reference designs if I am looking to water cool the GPU? Any specific brand/model I should consider?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I think it'd be worth it. Much lower power, noise and heat, better performance (by about +10-20%), and most importantly, more consistent performance. Also, support for Shadowplay. Not entirely sure though if now's the best time to be buying. You could just wait until Radeons are in good supply again which could drop prices back to where they were, or you could wait all the way until Maxwell is released (before summer?).

You should be able to sell two 560 ti's for about $200.

I don't know much about what to pick for watercooling as I'm not really familiar with all the various blocks etc., but I'm pretty sure you want a card with a reference PCB, and often that means having a reference cooler on it as well. If you don't water cool it though, pick between MSI Gaming, MSI Lightning, Asus DCII and Gigabyte Windforce. Maybe EVGA.

Last edited:

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for the input so far.
You should be able to sell two 560 ti's for about $200.
If I upgrade, one is going into the wife's computer and the other to a nephew.

I'd hold off myself.
Not entirely sure though if now's the best time to be buying. You could just wait until Radeons are in good supply again which could drop prices back to where they were, or you could wait all the way until Maxwell is released (before summer?).

Forgot to mention some of my programming is CUDA basedo_O

I haven't heard too much of Maxwell yet. Tweak, is this the path you were thinking of?

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Well, if you do CUDA based programming, then I change my mind and would stick with Nvidia.