Is it true?> Using Manufactuer drivers slow things by at least 30%?

Sedul

Sep 18, 2000
I heard that if you use the manufacturer drivers for video cards such are Geforces,
the performance is spiked around 30% compared to using the original reference drivers.
The benchmarks you see mostly around review sites use reference drivers for maximal
display of performance but if you buy a Asus Geforce 2 MX card and use their drivers
i heard it is much slower. someting bout a 30% hit in that one specificlalyy because Asus
needs to slow down the card to stabilize the TV-out on da thing.

I'm about to buy a card and i want TV out so i do'nt know what to do.

a ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon sounds good . The performance shown in da benchmarks is what you get because ATI make their own drivers. U get reference drivers and not some manufacturer's drivers.

Anywyaz, Any Thoughts? :)

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Almost all nVidia based boards use drivers that are at the very least close to the Detonators. A 30% drop? I highly doubt it, I haven't seen much of a difference at all testing the same driver revision from both Hercules and nVidia, it just takes longer for the Herc driver to become available.

BTW- TV-Out still works using Detonators from nVidia on my Hercules board.

Sedul

Sep 18, 2000
Oh ic, so even with the Nvidia drivers Tv-out still werks on da Hercules
how bout the Asus then?> anybody know about the Asus boards being able to have tv-out while using the Nvidia Reference Drivers?

i'm not too familiar with nvidia stuff beucase i never had a nvidia card.
hrm.

30% drop wuz from some article my friend read.
but for like ATI thedrivers are already considered the reference ones and on da benchamrks we see all da time that's what u get when u get u're card. but for Asus Nvidia , and Hercules boards. or any other ones that don't make their own chipsets, actually have "toned down" drivers.

Shrug.
two cents