Is it true that a chest freezer will self destruct during an extended storage?

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I got a chest freezer at home that I might stop using in the near future for a few months. Is it true that chest type freezer in specific self destructs when allowed to sit around unplugged for a long time if it's been used for a while already?

I found this article online:

"The inside wall absorbs heat from the inside of the chest, and the outside wall releases that same heat to the surrounding air.

This configuration makes these appliances very simple and inexpensive to produce, but there is something everyone who owns one of them should know about.

If a chest type deep freeze has previously been in use, do not turn it off or unplug it for more then two weeks.
You want to put it in storage you say? Might as well give it away to a friend.

Why?
The frost that inevitably accumulates between the two walls towards the inside of the cabinet melts and the moisture now held in place by the insulation causes the inside refrigeration lines to rust through. The refrigerant inside the system leaks out, the unit stops working, and there is no way of repairing it....

[F]or exactly the same reason, never buy a second hand deep freeze unless you know for a fact it has never been in storage or turned off. I very often see this. Someone has a deep freeze in good working condition that they no longer use. They turn it off and clean it out. Eventually someone buys it, goes though all the work and moves it from the one basement to another, then discovers, to their major consternation, that it no longer works.
This is not a concern on most upright deep freezes as the evaporator lines are usually exposed between the shelves, or it may have an air flow evaporator. Look closely though there are some with embedded lines.
"

The manual says to keep the door ajar by placing a piece of wood in between to prevent odor for long term storage, but doesn't mention anything about freon line corroding through because of the accumulated moisture.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
This is total BS.
#1. Refrigerant lines are copper.
#2. Refrigerant is moisture free so as to have an unpolluted environment to do the whole heat exchange thing in the first place. If your boiling point is going to be something far below 100*C, it does no good to have h2O in there.

Most leaks are caused by refrig line damage from improper moving.
I have seen damage caused by pet and rodent urine, but that's going to happen with anything that gets peed on.

Turn off the freezer with confidence. It will be ok.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Whats your source on this? My parents had two chest freezers that were put into storage for almost 1 year while we moved. They both still work just fine.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Does this mean that if I put some ice cubes on my g/f's rack, I'll spontaneously self combust while on a camping trip? Or will she just be excited?:evil:

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
i thought you meant it blows up like a bomb :)

I mean like "Mom im gonna go grab some hot pockets" "Bam"
then theres peices of ya everywhere :)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
This is total BS.

So the guy confused corrosion with rust. Big deal.

#2. Refrigerant is moisture free so as to have an unpolluted environment to do the whole heat exchange thing in the first place. If your boiling point is going to be something far below 100*C, it does no good to have h2O in there.

Read it again. It's not the refrigerant that's the problem. It's the FROST that accumulates between the inner and outer walls of the box in the same area the lines run through. Expose copper to prolonged moisture, and it WILL corrode.

And you have enough experience to tell him this... why?

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
This is total BS.

So the guy confused corrosion with rust. Big deal.

Read it again. It's not the refrigerant that's the problem. It's the FROST that accumulates between the inner and outer walls of the box in the same area the lines run through. Expose copper to prolonged moisture, and it WILL corrode.

And you have enough experience to tell him this... why?

I think that he means, for optimum thermal transfer, the area that this article says will fill with condensation will be at 0% humidity from the factory....therefore, unless it's punctured, it should be OK.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The worst I've ever heard about is the seals between the door and the edge of the freezer drying out and rotting away making for a bad seal when you fire it back up.