Is it traditional to give your parents your college diploma?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
People who feel the need to display their bachelor's degrees on their wall at home/work are LAME.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: Flyback
No offense but I figured as much. It is okay to be content without a formal education, but to generalize against all of it because you did not partake is not very mature.

What kind of job do you hold without a degree?

A college diploma is like a nice suit, it gives you something to look at. I don't generalize against a 'formal' education, I generalize against the general college :). My best friend is in college so I've experienced the trauma of watching someone pay through the nose for generic schooling. Poor guy hasn't learned in two years what I've picked up in two months.

At present I'm doing web application development, but I've had interesting conversations with the fellas at the MIT artificial intelligence laboratory. AI development and neuroscience is something I'd like to pursue, maybe even a study of biological compatibility with nonorganic nanomaterials. Although as you might have guess, I'm well aware this is something the typical college won't teach me, much like they wouldn't have been able to teach me what I know about programming. Fortunately for me I'm far more proficient at teaching myself, and I always suggest people try the same. The information networks of the world are your oyster, not thought incapacitating college curriculums.

How are you so sure that those are not things the typical college wouldn't teach you if you've never been? Good luck getting into any of that stuff without credibility, and credibility in the research field are degrees (grad school degrees), not what you can teach yourself.

Sure you may be able to program proficiently, but I truely believe that a formal education in CS would teach you a lot more than you know at your present state. I mean, come on, web development? So easy a caveman can do it.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Not a clue what you are talking about. I will take my diploma with me wherever I live.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2
How are you so sure that those are not things the typical college wouldn't teach you if you've never been?
It's not that I'm sure they can't, rather I'm sure I can teach myself better. Again, my best friend's inability to grasp essential programming concepts after two years of college is a profound example, but by far not the only one I've witnessed. And he's mostly a sharp fella overall, he's Chinese :)

Good luck getting into any of that stuff without credibility, and credibility in the research field are degrees (grad school degrees), not what you can teach yourself.
Wrong, credibility is the power to elicit belief in your capabilities, that is the definition as a matter of fact, regardless of how you achieve it.

Sure you may be able to program proficiently, but I truely believe that a formal education in CS would teach you a lot more than you know at your present state.
It probably would, simply for the reason that I have not yet decided to learn the field as a whole. But again, when I decide to do so, I'll likely learn it independently. I've not yet been stumped with a problem that required the intervention of a college teacher, maybe I'm yet to be enlightened by one.

I mean, come on, web development? So easy a caveman can do it.
Hehehe. Ok, make me a Rails content management system that is capable of receiving vorbis data and generating an SVG sonogram stored in a relational database arranged by spectral distribution, stored in a Postgre database server that allows FTP access to the said data. Then provide real-time video conferencing through the user interface which of course you will also have to make, then ensure DOM references are backwards compatible with ancient interpreters. And I'll be nice so I'll give you 6 weeks, twice the time I had. Now it's your cue to pretend you're capable of such a task but you have more important things to do, go ahead :) ;

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
what parent keeps their kid's room in-tact after they leave the house? I was gone for a month before my parents had a carpenter in to put in shelves / bars to turn my room into a large walk-in closet + office / sewing room for my mom

That sounds rather familiar. :)
Except there was no carpenter, but one of the bedrooms, either mine or my sister's, will be used as a quilting room. If we're not there for 70% of the year, why leave the rooms go unused?

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
i put mine in a storage box in my parents basement when i moved out years ago and when they realized where it was they spazzed on me and framed it and put it on their wall. My parents can be really weird though sometimes.

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
How are you so sure that those are not things the typical college wouldn't teach you if you've never been?
It's not that I'm sure they can't, rather I'm sure I can teach myself better. Again, my best friend's inability to grasp essential programming concepts after two years of college is a profound example, but by far not the only one I've witnessed. And he's mostly a sharp fella overall, he's Chinese :)

Good luck getting into any of that stuff without credibility, and credibility in the research field are degrees (grad school degrees), not what you can teach yourself.
Wrong, credibility is the power to elicit belief in your capabilities, that is the definition as a matter of fact, regardless of how you achieve it.

Sure you may be able to program proficiently, but I truely believe that a formal education in CS would teach you a lot more than you know at your present state.
It probably would, simply for the reason that I have not yet decided to learn the field as a whole. But again, when I decide to do so, I'll likely learn it independently. I've not yet been stumped with a problem that required the intervention of a college teacher, maybe I'm yet to be enlightened by one.

I mean, come on, web development? So easy a caveman can do it.
Hehehe. Ok, make me a Rails content management system that is capable of receiving vorbis data and generating an SVG sonogram stored in a relational database arranged by spectral distribution, stored in a Postgre database server that allows FTP access to the said data. Then provide real-time video conferencing through the user interface which of course you will also have to make, then ensure DOM references are backwards compatible with ancient interpreters. And I'll be nice so I'll give you 6 weeks, twice the time I had. Now it's your cue to pretend you're capable of such a task but you have more important things to do, go ahead :) ;

UMMM ownage of the year?!

josh0099

Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: ebaycj
People who feel the need to display their bachelor's degrees on their wall at home/work are LAME.

I would hardly consider someone who worked hard enough to get a Bachelor's Degree Lame. Some people have to work very hard to get them and even having one is an accomplishment. Just cause it comes easy some and thats even somewhat dependent on major, doesn't mean all of them are like that. I haven't finished my Bachelor's Degree yet, but when I do I am going to be very proud of myself cause I worked hard to get it. I don't know if I am going to frame it and put it on my wall, but I will be proud of it.

Beller0ph1

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2003
My parents gave me a nice diploma frame for graduation. It and my diploma are hanging on my apartment wall.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I never even got mine. Just had the school fax my job my transcript for proof I graduated and I haven't needed it since.