Is it too late to start playing a game like Guild Wars?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Some of my LAN friends and I have been looking into something different. Generally we are BF2, CS:S & Co-op kinda players. Lately a couple of us have been considering Guild Wars. Now I've never played an MMorpg. Is it too late to start a game like Guild wars? I ask because often if you wait a couple of years with standard multilayer games all the servers are filled with mods. Is now a good time to give this game a try?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When you say mods do you mean modifications? Or moderators?
Even though its not considered a true MMO game it does have set servers with strict rules. Arent any modifications unless you somehow manage to set up a private server and I dont know if any of those exist.

If you mean moderators I think there are some, but they dont seem to be interacting with the players very much. I suspect they come and go as they please. They certainly cant be collecting a paycheck, because GW is free (monthly).

EDIT:
To answer your question, Guild Wars can be joined at any time. The level cap is 20 and you dont have to get on a Player vs. Player game unless you want.
The worst thing you could do is try and join a high-level team too early and get killed during the quest. There is no penalty for dying and exploration with a high-level group is a good way to unlock new areas quickly (if you can survive).

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Guild Wars is very heavily PvP oriented. If you're not into PvP it won't keep you entertained for very long. Solo play is pretty much non existant, the fun parts of the games require a stacked group of dedicated players. It's not for the casual gamer, and if you're looking for the MMO experience, then GW is definitely not for you.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: I4AT
Guild Wars is very heavily PvP oriented. If you're not into PvP it won't keep you entertained for very long. Solo play is pretty much non existant, the fun parts of the games require a stacked group of dedicated players. It's not for the casual gamer, and if you're looking for the MMO experience, then GW is definitely not for you.

My wife and I have been playing for over two years, and we haven't even started in PvP yet. She did a little dabbling in it, but I haven't done any at all. I imagine we'll start after we finish GW:EN while we are waiting for 2 though. But I completely disagree about GW not being for the average gamer. You can jump in, do a quest or two, and then not play for a while. Or jump in, go cap a few new elites, and not play for a while again. There is no penalty for time. And your birthday presents come that much quicker. The only thing you really have to worry about if you are doing PvE over a long duration is forgetting the aspects of the story line. Also, if you are into solo play, then you can play with henchies and/or heroes (you'll need GW: Nightfall to use heroes). The only other person I normally play with is my wife, so I'm almost always using just my heroes, as I hate waiting around to form groups, etc. I haven't the patience for it in the least.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I just started WoW about 2 weeks ago. I'm way far behind but it's still lots of fun. I'm not quite to the point of obsession that some people are but I do enjoy playing it.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

My wife and I have been playing for over two years, and we haven't even started in PvP yet. She did a little dabbling in it, but I haven't done any at all. I imagine we'll start after we finish GW:EN while we are waiting for 2 though. But I completely disagree about GW not being for the average gamer. You can jump in, do a quest or two, and then not play for a while. Or jump in, go cap a few new elites, and not play for a while again. There is no penalty for time. And your birthday presents come that much quicker. The only thing you really have to worry about if you are doing PvE over a long duration is forgetting the aspects of the story line. Also, if you are into solo play, then you can play with henchies and/or heroes (you'll need GW: Nightfall to use heroes). The only other person I normally play with is my wife, so I'm almost always using just my heroes, as I hate waiting around to form groups, etc. I haven't the patience for it in the least.

Pretty muh what I would have said. The only area's of the game that aren't soloable are the elite end game content (areas that are only open after the game has been beaten, or certain milemarkers achieaved at the least). Everything else, including all the story line missions are doable with just the hired NPCs if you want. Since it's your group of friends though I doubt that will be an issue.

The PvP is there if you want (and it's good).. but I've been playing on and off for 2 years now (hurray for no monthly fees) and have done almost no PvP.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
If you have someone to play with (wife, dedicated group of friends, etc.), it's definetly not too late. There's a lot of PVE content spread out through the 4 games that are now available.

imported_BS

Mar 8, 2005
I would have to agree, Tried the first GW after playing WOW for a year and a half and it just didn't hold me. Made a whole lvl 8 and haven't much gone back since.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Ok thanks everyone. Next question is which one do i buy? I want to start with the first one but i don't see anything that just says "Guild Wars". Also any reason i shouldn't start with the original?

EDIT: Looks like i found the original. Other question still applies.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
One more question.
Can my character be killed by other players?

Here is the answer from the Guild wars website;
While Guild Wars has player vs. player combat, you are in control. You can choose to join in competitive missions and receive acclaim for winning against other gamers, or you can reap the rewards of solo adventures or cooperative team missions with an entirely different set of challenges.

Is that a yes? So if i start with four characters and they all get killed i will no longer be able to play the game?

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Perry404
Is that a yes? So if i start with four characters and they all get killed i will no longer be able to play the game?
of course not :laugh:
you jsut either go back to town (leave the current instance), or get resurrected

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
So what happens if the character is killed? Do you respawn somewhere at level 1 or something?

manveruppd

Aug 3, 2007
Like with most recent MMOs, death doesn't really mean a thing. In GW, there's no permanent XP loss, no item looting, no wear and tear on weapons/armour, nothing. Just a small penalty to your max health and energy, which is wiped as soon as you go back to town. When you die, someone from your team (whether it's AI henchmen or real people) will usually resurrect you immediately, and you're back in action with just a 15% penalty to your max health. If nobody can res you or your party is wiped, you'll respawn at the nearest health shrine. In some pve missions and some pvp scenarios there are no res shrines, so a party wipe will mean you lose, and you respawn at the nearest outpost. But, again, there won't be any penalty: no item decay, no XP or money loss, your death penalty gets reset, and you even get to keep whatever loot you picked up before you got killed!

That you're asking this question suggests to me that you haven't really gotten what GW is:
GW isn't a "proper" MMO. All areas are instanced. When you're doing quests and missions in pve, you will not be playing in a persistent world. You walk out of the outpost, and you're on your own in an instanced explorable area full of monsters. The only people who'll be with you are the people in your party (which can be real people, AI henchmen who are basically bots, or heroes, who are henchmen over whom you have more direct control). There's also no "friendly fire" on attacks and spells, so if you get caught in the blast radius of your friend's fireball you won't get hurt. As such, there's no chance of another human player just walking up to you and killing you out of the blue. PvP in GW is structured, team-based PvP. This means you go into the arenas, you team up with 3 other people, the team leader clicks "enter battle" and you're transported in an instanced arena and pitted against some other team of 4 people. Or, you and your guildmates gather in the guild hall, you make a team of 8, the leader clicks "arrange guild battle", and you're transported in an instanced version of your guild hall (or the enemy guild's guild hall) and pitted against an 8-man team from another guild (can be random, or you can issue a friendly challenge to a specific guild). Again, your guild hall is not persistent, so there's no chance of another guild "invading" you while you're all offline and taking over your guild hall! (although I'm looking forwards to doing that in Age of Conan!:D) So PvP is not "consentual" in the way it's consentual in, say, Warcraft, where you put up a flag over your head that ssays "you're allowed to attack me". You actually have to GO to the outpost the PvP starts from (don't worry, travelling in GW is instantaneous, you just click on the map), join a team, and enter a match. Notice I use the term "match" rather than "fight" or "battle", because that's the correct term: it's more like an organised team-based sport than a random online brawl against other people's RPG characters.

There's lots of types of PvP apart from the two I've mentioned (arenas and Guild vs Guild), but they're all based around the normal FPS archetypes of capture the flag, king of the hill, or team deathmatch, and sometimes combinations of them.

Each GW chapter is stand-alone (except for Eye of the North, the latest one, which you need to own one of the previous chapters to play). Each has its own PvE storyline in areas specific to it, and the second and third chapters each have a type of PvP unique to them: Factions has Alliance Battles, which is kinda like a multi-node King of the Hill match, and Nightfall has Hero Battles, which is basically 1v1 (1 person with 3 AI heroes against another person with 3 AI heroes).

Now, it might seem to you from my rambling on that GW really IS pvp-centred. Well, yes and no. The game mechanics are balanced for PvP, and the interface and gameplay streamlined for it. Over the years, the devs have made it even easier for people to get into PvP, and now you can spend all your time PvPing without needing to do any PvE at all. (It used to be that the only way to unlock skills and items was through your PvE character learning or acquiring them. Now you can earn points which you spend to unlock these things just by playing PvP, so you no longer NEED to play a lot of PvE before you can even get started in PvP.) Over the years, though, they figured out that most of their customers were mostly interested in PvE, so they started improving and enriching that side of the game a lot more, to the point where it's pretty good now, even to someone like me who joined for the PvP.

As to whether it's too late to start, I'd say yes. There's just so much content right now that the remaining active population is spread pretty thin, so unless you have your own group of friends to play with you'll be spending quite a lot of time on your own. And it's not a nice feeling when you start telling off your AI henchmen for standing in the wrong place as if they can hear you, trust me on that! :p There's plenty of large, noob-friendly guilds that'd take you in though, and I'm sure you'd find guildies who'd be only too happy to join you for some missions, if only for nostalgic purposes. But part of the joy of playing an MMO is exploring and discovering new areas in the company of people sharing that experience, and if the people you're playing with are a bunch of jaded vets who have (literally) been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and came back to get another one when the t-shirt wore out, it won't be the same feeling.

Also, one of the things I enjoyed while I was a young and tender noob was trying out new skill combinations. I think back on some of the ridiculously inefficient character builds I used to run and laugh, but it was part of the process of discovery. Now it's been over 2 years, and, as with all MMOs, all the best and most efficient character builds have been discovered, catalogued and analysed to death. You'll still get to experiment in PvE (although most PvE areas are so easy that you won't really need to tweak your character much except for your own fun), but, if you want to join PvP and be competitive, your teammates will tell you exactly what they need you to do, exactly which 8 skills to put on your skillbar to achieve the required effect, and exactly how to use them. I'm not saying that's the whole story, as it's a pretty deep game which will take you ages to get good at (in terms of speed in skill activation, movement and positioning, reflexes, battlefield awareness, and communication with your teammates). Knowing which skills to put on your skillbar is about as useful as knowing how to switch to the railgun in Quake: it's a small start, but you still need to learn to aim the damn thing! :p But, for me, the process of discovery and trying out new builds, some whacky, some stupid, some awesome, was a big part of the fun of it, and you won't get it to the same extent. Some of my fondest memories are of trying out a new, extremely gimmicky team build with a bunch of guys, and watching the enemy go down in flames, not because it was any good, but because it was so absurd that they just stood around watching us in confusion! Or arguing with my guild leader about a GvG build that he said was absolutely idiotic, and then going onto observer mode and watching the #4 ranked guild use something almost identical to what I suggested! :p

They were simpler, more innocent days, and now the people still playing GW are jaded and have seen and tried everything. I still enjoy the game, and I think I'm having more fun now than I was back when I was a clueless noob, because now I don't get the frustration of trying out a billion stupid ideas before figuring out the one idea that works, but I yearn for the day when it was all new and exciting... maybe in part because everyone else was as clueless as me so my lack of skill wasn't a factor! :p But, in any case, if you have friends who are also just starting out then go for it. If you're on your own I don't think you'll enjoy it that much.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: manveruppd
Like with most recent MMOs, death doesn't really mean a thing. In GW, there's no permanent XP loss, no item looting, no wear and tear on weapons/armour, nothing. Just a small penalty to your max health and energy, which is wiped as soon as you go back to town. When you die, someone from your team (whether it's AI henchmen or real people) will usually resurrect you immediately, and you're back in action with just a 15% penalty to your max health. If nobody can res you or your party is wiped, you'll respawn at the nearest health shrine. In some pve missions and some pvp scenarios there are no res shrines, so a party wipe will mean you lose, and you respawn at the nearest outpost. But, again, there won't be any penalty: no item decay, no XP or money loss, your death penalty gets reset, and you even get to keep whatever loot you picked up before you got killed!

That you're asking this question suggests to me that you haven't really gotten what GW is:
GW isn't a "proper" MMO. All areas are instanced. When you're doing quests and missions in pve, you will not be playing in a persistent world. You walk out of the outpost, and you're on your own in an instanced explorable area full of monsters. The only people who'll be with you are the people in your party (which can be real people, AI henchmen who are basically bots, or heroes, who are henchmen over whom you have more direct control). There's also no "friendly fire" on attacks and spells, so if you get caught in the blast radius of your friend's fireball you won't get hurt. As such, there's no chance of another human player just walking up to you and killing you out of the blue. PvP in GW is structured, team-based PvP. This means you go into the arenas, you team up with 3 other people, the team leader clicks "enter battle" and you're transported in an instanced arena and pitted against some other team of 4 people. Or, you and your guildmates gather in the guild hall, you make a team of 8, the leader clicks "arrange guild battle", and you're transported in an instanced version of your guild hall (or the enemy guild's guild hall) and pitted against an 8-man team from another guild (can be random, or you can issue a friendly challenge to a specific guild). Again, your guild hall is not persistent, so there's no chance of another guild "invading" you while you're all offline and taking over your guild hall! (although I'm looking forwards to doing that in Age of Conan!:D) So PvP is not "consentual" in the way it's consentual in, say, Warcraft, where you put up a flag over your head that ssays "you're allowed to attack me". You actually have to GO to the outpost the PvP starts from (don't worry, travelling in GW is instantaneous, you just click on the map), join a team, and enter a match. Notice I use the term "match" rather than "fight" or "battle", because that's the correct term: it's more like an organised team-based sport than a random online brawl against other people's RPG characters.

There's lots of types of PvP apart from the two I've mentioned (arenas and Guild vs Guild), but they're all based around the normal FPS archetypes of capture the flag, king of the hill, or team deathmatch, and sometimes combinations of them.

Each GW chapter is stand-alone (except for Eye of the North, the latest one, which you need to own one of the previous chapters to play). Each has its own PvE storyline in areas specific to it, and the second and third chapters each have a type of PvP unique to them: Factions has Alliance Battles, which is kinda like a multi-node King of the Hill match, and Nightfall has Hero Battles, which is basically 1v1 (1 person with 3 AI heroes against another person with 3 AI heroes).

Now, it might seem to you from my rambling on that GW really IS pvp-centred. Well, yes and no. The game mechanics are balanced for PvP, and the interface and gameplay streamlined for it. Over the years, the devs have made it even easier for people to get into PvP, and now you can spend all your time PvPing without needing to do any PvE at all. (It used to be that the only way to unlock skills and items was through your PvE character learning or acquiring them. Now you can earn points which you spend to unlock these things just by playing PvP, so you no longer NEED to play a lot of PvE before you can even get started in PvP.) Over the years, though, they figured out that most of their customers were mostly interested in PvE, so they started improving and enriching that side of the game a lot more, to the point where it's pretty good now, even to someone like me who joined for the PvP.

As to whether it's too late to start, I'd say yes. There's just so much content right now that the remaining active population is spread pretty thin, so unless you have your own group of friends to play with you'll be spending quite a lot of time on your own. And it's not a nice feeling when you start telling off your AI henchmen for standing in the wrong place as if they can hear you, trust me on that! :p There's plenty of large, noob-friendly guilds that'd take you in though, and I'm sure you'd find guildies who'd be only too happy to join you for some missions, if only for nostalgic purposes. But part of the joy of playing an MMO is exploring and discovering new areas in the company of people sharing that experience, and if the people you're playing with are a bunch of jaded vets who have (literally) been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and came back to get another one when the t-shirt wore out, it won't be the same feeling.

Also, one of the things I enjoyed while I was a young and tender noob was trying out new skill combinations. I think back on some of the ridiculously inefficient character builds I used to run and laugh, but it was part of the process of discovery. Now it's been over 2 years, and, as with all MMOs, all the best and most efficient character builds have been discovered, catalogued and analysed to death. You'll still get to experiment in PvE (although most PvE areas are so easy that you won't really need to tweak your character much except for your own fun), but, if you want to join PvP and be competitive, your teammates will tell you exactly what they need you to do, exactly which 8 skills to put on your skillbar to achieve the required effect, and exactly how to use them. I'm not saying that's the whole story, as it's a pretty deep game which will take you ages to get good at (in terms of speed in skill activation, movement and positioning, reflexes, battlefield awareness, and communication with your teammates). Knowing which skills to put on your skillbar is about as useful as knowing how to switch to the railgun in Quake: it's a small start, but you still need to learn to aim the damn thing! :p But, for me, the process of discovery and trying out new builds, some whacky, some stupid, some awesome, was a big part of the fun of it, and you won't get it to the same extent. Some of my fondest memories are of trying out a new, extremely gimmicky team build with a bunch of guys, and watching the enemy go down in flames, not because it was any good, but because it was so absurd that they just stood around watching us in confusion! Or arguing with my guild leader about a GvG build that he said was absolutely idiotic, and then going onto observer mode and watching the #4 ranked guild use something almost identical to what I suggested! :p

They were simpler, more innocent days, and now the people still playing GW are jaded and have seen and tried everything. I still enjoy the game, and I think I'm having more fun now than I was back when I was a clueless noob, because now I don't get the frustration of trying out a billion stupid ideas before figuring out the one idea that works, but I yearn for the day when it was all new and exciting... maybe in part because everyone else was as clueless as me so my lack of skill wasn't a factor! :p But, in any case, if you have friends who are also just starting out then go for it. If you're on your own I don't think you'll enjoy it that much.

Whew! Thanks manveruppd. One heck of a post.:Q
I actually have four friends I'm talking into this game. Convinced one just last night so two down two to go. Our Lanparties were suffering due to lack of agreement on games so after much research i decided Guild Wars will be the one to repair the situation. I even picked up a 300 page guide to do research before i start my first character. I've decided that instead of making a character that would be my favorite i'm going to attempt to pick one with skills that are least seen on the battlefield with the idea that many won't be tuned properly to defend against me. Forget about fireballs and lightening bolts. I'm going to hone the boring skill that no one finds exciting and attempt to turn them into madskillz.:D

Thanks again for taking the time to post that. I've definitely decided to give this a shot and i believe it'll be worth it.:)

manveruppd

Aug 3, 2007
If you have friends to play with you'll have fun. I played through Prophesies with a couple of friends of mine and it was enjoyable, but once we finished the storyline I had to go off and find a guild with lots of active PvP players, as repeating PvE content just doesn't hold my interest.
I've decided that instead of making a character that would be my favorite i'm going to attempt to pick one with skills that are least seen on the battlefield with the idea that many won't be tuned properly to defend against me. Forget about fireballs and lightening bolts. I'm going to hone the boring skill that no one finds exciting and attempt to turn them into madskillz.
No sure what you mean there, but you can play as anything in GW: it doesn't matter if your roleplaying character is a monk or a warrior or a necromancer or whatever, if you decide you want to play as, say, a Ranger for a bit, you can just make a Ranger PvP-only character who'll start out at maximum level and with maxed-out armour and weapons. It takes about 5' to create a pvp character, so when you're choosing what class to play through the storyline as don't agonise too much over it, it's not a life-changing decision! :)
Even your roleplaying characters are pretty flexible, as, unlike other MMOs, you can completely respec them anytime you want (unless you're in the middle of a mission obviously). It's not like WoW where you have to travel to a special trainer and pay some stupid amounts of gold: in GW, if you're a fireball-hurling fire elementalist and you decide you want to chuck lightning bolts instead, you just move your attribute points from fire to air next time you're in town, drag some air spells onto your skillbar, and you're done. Takes seconds, and you can even save each "configuration" to a template so switching back next time will be even faster. You can also change your secondary profession (though not until halfway through the game) which opens even more possibilities.
So, basically, what I'm saying is don't worry about "honing" your skills. Just try out different things and have fun - you've got 8 slots on your skillbar but you get over 1,000 skills to choose your 8 from, and trying out new things is partly where the fun comes from. You also learn the game better, as it teaches you what works best under what circumstances, and which combos are most effective. When you're mucking about in some easy PvE mission, try out whatever whacky build you think might be fun: has your character just learned a new spell as a quest reward? Stick it on your bar and see what it does!
When you go to try some serious PvP on the other hand (by which I mean Heroes Ascent or Guild vs Guild - Arenas are imho just for mucking about and having fun, although there are some sad people who take them way too seriously and will flame you if you're on their team and are playing something weird:p) you'll probably want to stick to the tried&tested builds for each profession. The game's been about for over 2 years, and, although the best builds are always changing due to skill balances and new skills being introduced with each chapter, the optimum, most efficient character builds are figured out relatively quickly, from a large community of PvP players coming up with ideas, watching other good players on observer mode and stealing and refining their ideas. There's still scope for a bit of variation, but don't expect to bring anything new to the game.
BTW, if you and your friends form a guild and buy a guild hall, you can play scrimmage matches against each other, which I assume you'll enjoy since you do LANparties together :) Also good practice for hitting the arenas! And if you're looking for something to play after Prophesies I'd probably reccomend Nightfall rather than Factions, since you get to use Heroes, the storyline's better than Factions (though not as good as Prophesies), and the skills in that chapter are more powerful (yes, that's how they get us to buy each chapter;)).

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Worthington
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

Pretty muh what I would have said. The only area's of the game that aren't soloable are the elite end game content (areas that are only open after the game has been beaten, or certain milemarkers achieaved at the least). Everything else, including all the story line missions are doable with just the hired NPCs if you want. Since it's your group of friends though I doubt that will be an issue.

The PvP is there if you want (and it's good).. but I've been playing on and off for 2 years now (hurray for no monthly fees) and have done almost no PvP.

The Sanctum Cay mission in Prophecies is hard as hell with only henchies.

I'm 0/3 so far. :(

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Perry404

Our Lanparties were suffering due to lack of agreement on games so after much research i decided Guild Wars will be the one to repair the situation.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to play GW on LAN. Just making sure you understand that. :p

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I just started playing Nightfall less than 2 weeks ago. I've got a bunch of friends that all play online games with each other so it is enjoyable. No, I don't think its too early but I'm itching to play GW:EN already but am only halfway through the Nightfall campaign.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Eye of the North is great. If you have a lvl 20 character you should definitely pick it up.

May 16, 2000

Oh I dunno. I hardly ever pvp and I've played GW since launch. It's not super expansive like EQ or CoH, but it's still fun to me.

GW2 is on the way soon, might be better to spend your money there. GW is fine and all, but why invest funds in outgoing?

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
It's good if you have dedicated friends. Without friends, it can be hard to finish a lot of the quests. The PVE player base is too spread out between all the expansions. It's hard to get group in a certain areas.

I recommend WoW if you haven't tried it. It's very casual friendly, and great with a group of friends. I've been playing for about two weeks now with some people at work.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
The best thing about having multiple accounts with all 3 campaigns is that I can start a character in Nightfall to get heroes, make it over to Factions to level them up, and then go to Prophecies to do the story. :D

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This game didn't keep my attention for long; I preordered it and picked it up at launch. I beat all the main content (max level and such) in a matter of weeks (2 or 3 I believe). From then on, it was just PvP content, which I'll admit was entertaining, but only for a short while. I don't know how much the expansions have added to the game, since I quit in a month and a half (very short time a completely online game), but the game is definitely not your typical 'MMO' experience, and they don't try to market it as such. PvP is without a doubt the highest point in the game, as without a persistent world a little soloing, PvE is very pale in comparison.

Someone else posted (too lazy to scroll up) about how they stretched out PvE content over a year or more and barely dabbled in PvP, but I can't see how that is possible unless the expansions are amazing or that person and his wife are just easily amused :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Dumac
This game didn't keep my attention for long; I preordered it and picked it up at launch. I beat all the main content (max level and such) in a matter of weeks (2 or 3 I believe). From then on, it was just PvP content, which I'll admit was entertaining, but only for a short while. I don't know how much the expansions have added to the game, since I quit in a month and a half (very short time a completely online game), but the game is definitely not your typical 'MMO' experience, and they don't try to market it as such. PvP is without a doubt the highest point in the game, as without a persistent world a little soloing, PvE is very pale in comparison.

Someone else posted (too lazy to scroll up) about how they stretched out PvE content over a year or more and barely dabbled in PvP, but I can't see how that is possible unless the expansions are amazing or that person and his wife are just easily amused :p

Well if you are done, try getting some Obsidian Armor :p or get the Eye of North expansion which is awesome if you are looking to have fun with your lvl 20 characters.