is it too late to apply pre-emergent for my lawn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spacejamz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. spacejamz

spacejamz Diamond Member

live in north dallas and have bermuda grass...I get varying answers (i.e., it is still okay versus no it's too late)...

is laying down some weed and feed a better idea? I just spent a few hours pulling weeds from the lawn this morning..

2. runzwithsizorz

runzwithsizorz Diamond Member

There is only one pre- emergent,(selective) for lawns and that is for crab grass ONLY. Unlike selective herbicides, like broad-leaf weed killers,which can be used year round, there is no selective treatment for crab grass once its up and growing. You will then be forced to either pull them by hand or use a non-selective herbicide,(round-up), and depending on how much crab grass there is, use of the latter will make your lawn look as though you have several female dogs with really powerful urine. Your bermuda lawn should still be dormant,(?) depends on your recent temps, so I would say your not to late, however your window of opportunity is rapidly closing.

3. KK

KK Lifer

No I don't think its too late yet.

They just came out to our house about 2 weeks ago to put our pre-emergent out. Prior to them coming out I sprayed round-up type stuff on the crag grass that was starting to show up. I just went out on friday and sprayed some more round up on the crabgrass I missed the first time out. I doubt I'll be able to do another application since the bermuda will be starting up.

4. OUCaptain

OUCaptain Golden Member

Thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't have thought about the crabgrass until I saw it.