Is it too early to call Trump a terrible President?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
People don't think he is doing a good job..but I do love his tweets.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Even if you discount everything Trump said up until he was sworn in, you knew he was going to be a terrible President when he made Sean Spicer call a press conference to lie about the size of the inauguration crowd.

I just don't know how anyone can defend Trump when it's obvious that he not only has an extremely fragile ego, but lets it dictate decisions where you absolutely need a cool head. It's like letting a spoiled, entitled 10-year-old run the country.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is that real?

Yes, it is! He even called it "tremendous."

As I've heard it, soldiers generally aren't proud of Purple Hearts (there may be exceptions if they were wounded while doing something particularly heroic). It amounts to an enemy marksmanship badge.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
It's worse than just the purple heart thing but yes he did say that.

Yes it is too early, we need at least 3k dead before we are allowed to make that judgment call. Bush was the best president ever until the death toll reached like 3k. I think we kept saying that until he crashed the economy so maybe the death toll is 50k before we are allowed to complain.

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, it is! He even called it "tremendous."

As I've heard it, soldiers generally aren't proud of Purple Hearts (there may be exceptions if they were wounded while doing something particularly heroic). It amounts to an enemy marksmanship badge.
AND..... the idiot said he was awarding it on behalf of himself and Melania. Not, you know, an appreciative nation.

Fortubately this time he didn't tell the man how much he always wanted one..... seriously, keep him away from the Purple Heart.

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Are you serious?!?!?!?

I mean I try and avoid Trump news because its so depressing but did that just happen?

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Trump is as expected. I am glad he is floundering around and on twitter 24/7. Please go golfing 365 days x 4 years. Republican should be proud to have voted this guy in. George W. Bush and Donald Trump, it is all your party.

Reactions: JSt0rm

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
No. Whether he will stay terrible remains to be seen but I would think it's likely.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
BS. I've seen many parade their military crap around to try to prove a point. "I've been in X combat tours! You!?" "I put my life on the line for your ***!" Etc. So I can see where Trump is coming from.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
It's not too early. He was a terrible human being before he was a terrible President. He is utterly detached from humanity. When he exhibits sympathy/empathy it is such a foreign concept to him you can almost imagine his sphincter(s) (all of them) cringing and trying to flee. When he has to read or comprehend [heavy stuff] we already know he shuts down and starts writing his next tweet in his mind. His decision making process involves only the last person he spoke to and for a man who clearly struggles with understanding any ones experience but his own (even then his comprehension leans only toward the pleasure principle) that's a bad thing for the people. Ugh, no it's not too soon. He is repugnant.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Even if you discount everything Trump said up until he was sworn in, you knew he was going to be a terrible President when he made Sean Spicer call a press conference to lie about the size of the inauguration crowd.

I just don't know how anyone can defend Trump when it's obvious that he not only has an extremely fragile ego, but lets it dictate decisions where you absolutely need a cool head. It's like letting a spoiled, entitled 10-year-old run the country.

This first 70 years of his childhood is pretty rough on his kids.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
No.

You can change your mind later if he becomes non-terrible. And/or when pigs fly.
At this rate I think there is sadly a high probability of them unbanning the flying pig than there is of Trump becoming a top notch President.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No.

You can change your mind later if he becomes non-terrible. And/or when pigs fly.

Exactly. So far he's a comically terrible president. Maybe someday he gets better, but so far it is perfectly reasonable to recognize that he's shit.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'll be the outlier here and say that it is too early and I'll give you my reasoning for this.

Everyone knew he had zero experience in government and everyone thinks he's an outsider (specifically referring to Washington DC), so it should be expected that a new president with zero public sector experience would need to go through some growing pains. Right now, I'd argue his failures are due to exactly that, his inexperience. So I'll wait a little longer before I declare him a horrible president (which, I'm sure, is more than he deserves).

The counter argument to that, of course, is that if he possessed 1/10th of the competence he claims he has, he would have put into place and surrounded himself with people who are competent and who would have been able to, at the very least, put together a complete team.

I judge being president by a few factors: is he competent. Is he able to learn for his mistakes or acknowledge them.

Has his decisions/policies led to a fulfillment of his promises he made on the campaign trail?

Has his responses to crises produced positive results?

Has he improved US relations with other countries?

Those are the standards by which I can judge him while acknowledging that his policies are counter to mine and are unacceptable.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Still better than bush. Call me when 3,000 americans and 100,000 other people are dead and our economy is in the toilet.

Reactions: dchristian

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'll be the outlier here and say that it is too early and I'll give you my reasoning for this.

Everyone knew he had zero experience in government and everyone thinks he's an outsider (specifically referring to Washington DC), so it should be expected that a new president with zero public sector experience would need to go through some growing pains. Right now, I'd argue his failures are due to exactly that, his inexperience. So I'll wait a little longer before I declare him a horrible president (which, I'm sure, is more than he deserves).

The counter argument to that, of course, is that if he possessed 1/10th of the competence he claims he has, he would have put into place and surrounded himself with people who are competent and who would have been able to, at the very least, put together a complete team.

I judge being president by a few factors: is he competent. Is he able to learn for his mistakes or acknowledge them.

Has his decisions/policies led to a fulfillment of his promises he made on the campaign trail?

Has his responses to crises produced positive results?

Has he improved US relations with other countries?

Those are the standards by which I can judge him while acknowledging that his policies are counter to mine and are unacceptable.
But here's the thing. He doesn't strike me as an outsider. Before the election he struck me as an insider as deeply entrenched in Washington as humanly possible short of outright being a politician. He was the lobbyist that cut out the middle man and while Congress likely needed a fresh new perspective, Trump was not it in my opinion. Voting for Trump was a vote for "I'm tired of all these politicians in Washington bending to the will of the lobbyists. I'ma vote for a lobbyist and shake things up around here!"

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I'm thinking Trump is the worst president of all time...on the other hand, he hasn't started a war of choice like Bush. Still, Bush did other things despite that.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I'm sure Trump will be worse eventually. He may even be worse already for Americans in general. He is definitely hurting this country, but for people of the world at large he is mostly just a nuisance in comparison to Bush or really any other US president.

I'm starting to see what Putin saw in picking him for the US presidency. He is so incredibly incompetent, his incompetence infects those around him and is very aggressive in its metastasis. In terms of US world hegemony there isn't really another person you could possibly pick to do more damage, faster. And he is even, in his abject stupidity, capable of defending himself and throwing people off his trail. Trump is quite the unique species .

Last edited: