Question Is it time to replace RT-AC87U?

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I am using RT-AC87U as my primary router and it currently works fine for me. However i noticed that it been discontinued. Am i opening my self up to being hacked now that i am no longer getting any more firmware bug fixes? I am using another router as ap in the house. Should i be looking at replacement router or am i okay for now?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Has BETA firmware available from Feb. 02, 2021. Doesn't appear to be discontinued, at least, no notice of such, in the Overview page.

Where are you seeing that this router is discontinued?

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting, thanks for that link.

Honestly, as long as they're still producing updated firmware, even "Beta" editions, I feel fairly strongly that you would be safe installing them (from the mfg), and therefore, keep your security up-to-date.

Once firmware updates stop being produced for a year or so, or if a major exploit in Linux / open-source networking kernel/drivers is found, and not patched, only THEN would I consider getting a new router.

Given that there was that recent firmware from 2021/02/02, I would install that and be happy, and not worry yourself too much yet.

Reactions: Pohemi

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Given that there was that recent firmware from 2021/02/02, I would install that and be happy, and not worry yourself too much yet.
Agreed.

An update provided only 1 month ago? That's nothing. The TP Link router I just replaced with an Asus model hadn't received an update in 4+ years.

Not to mention your router supports 3rd party firmware from what I quickly looked at, so you could always go that route if Asus doesn't release any more firmware/security updates way down the road.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Agreed.

An update provided only 1 month ago? That's nothing. The TP Link router I just replaced with an Asus model hadn't received an update in 4+ years.

Not to mention your router supports 3rd party firmware from what I quickly looked at, so you could always go that route if Asus doesn't release any more firmware/security updates way down the road.
Merlin is done with supporting it. I am not sure if openwrt supports it.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I am using RT-AC87U as my primary router and it currently works fine for me. However i noticed that it been discontinued. Am i opening my self up to being hacked now that i am no longer getting any more firmware bug fixes?
don't count on it.
Most products on the market continue to work even being discontinued many years after.
Yeah, a hardware device being discontinued doesn't always mean that it's firmware/software is out-of-date overnight, or that it will immediately end further development of the firmware.
The EoL list is for manufacturers and not third party (which from what I understand is preferable on many Asus routers anyway).

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Yeah, a hardware device being discontinued doesn't always mean that it's firmware/software is out-of-date overnight, or that it will immediately end further development of the firmware.
The EoL list is for manufacturers and not third party (which from what I understand is preferable on many Asus routers anyway).
3rd party is dead at this point. Asus is only thing that would be left.