Is it time for Call of Duty Vietnam, or Medal of Honor Korea?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Single player FPSes based on Vietnam are rare, and I don’t think any notable ones exist in the Korean war.

In general we get the usual WW2, modern warfare, and slightly future warfare.

The closest Call of Duty we got was BLOPS1 where there were some Vietnam war missions. We've also had a handful of other games like Vietcong 1/2, Men of Valor, and Far Cry Hours of Darkness.

It seems to me there’s a lot of untapped potential for AAA games to use.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have enjoyed the two Battlefield Vietnam games (ok, one was technically an expansion). Would not object to a new one.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Eh, Military shooters are military shooters. Just about any major conflict past WW2 is just going to be a reskinned WW2 game.

The Korean War is known as the forgotten war for a reason, and the Vietnam war carries a lot of baggage as Vietnam was not a "good" war by American standards.

Vietnam was also heavily one sided in terms of tech, and much "cleaner" Americans vs Jihadi shooters exist to fill that asymetric warfare space.

How about a fun and inventive shooter that plays with the genre a bit instead of more war.

Reactions: happy medium

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I disagree. While I like history, modern/future warfare is my favorite because of all the new technological advances/tools/gadgets that are available. Granted, anyone can pull BF V and have red dots on Garands in Korea, but that's stretching it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I want a 1980's cold war gone hot scenario. Large scale actions vs conventional foes. Tech where machine guns were historically common, yet all the electronic fire and forget, IRNV goggle, etc haven't come out yet. Pinnacle of mechanical war. Though that's what I want for the BF series. COD.... meh. They went too arcady a long time ago.

Reactions: clamum

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I want a 1980's cold war gone hot scenario. Large scale actions vs conventional foes. Tech where machine guns were historically common, yet all the electronic fire and forget, IRNV goggle, etc haven't come out yet. Pinnacle of mechanical war. Though that's what I want for the BF series. COD.... meh. They went too arcady a long time ago.

So, Red Dawn, the video game?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
So, Red Dawn, the video game?

Sorta. I'd probably stage it more in Europe as its more plausible that USSR decided it wanted to expand there than a mainland US invasion. Red dawn is also more insurgents vs a conventional force.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
If they ever do a Vietnam one, I wonder if they will include controversial fights where you mow down Vietnamese civilians like that one CoD added where you mowed down people in the airport.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Battlefield Korea - past. Battlefield Russia, Battlefield China - future.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That sounds like a great idea. Seconded!

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
No and not interested in those at all. I would like to see another WW2 game because there are A LOT to cover for that time.

Reactions: happy medium

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Battlefield Korea - past. Battlefield Russia, Battlefield China - future.

Battlefield Korea - Past & Future :eek:

Seriously though, China has been putting a good amount of pressure on the world to get its "social" credit up and not appear to be a threat in various forms of media (not suggesting it is a military threat, but it also doesn't want to appear to be, too). Its also a huge market, so I can see developers not wanting to lock out that market when the CCP says no go to selling a game where China is the bad guy. So the odds of a Battlefield:China is pretty low at this point.

Crysis really stretched the idea of fighting a resurgent North Korea to the absolute breaking point for the first half of the game through. I can't see a future war with NK being anything other than an absolutely one sided massacre unless the Chinese get involved like they did the first time around (and they likely won't, other than to capture as much NK as they can to create a buffer state).

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Maybe a remaster of BC2:Vietnam will be the closest thing to a addition to a new Vietnam game from anyone. With Ea running Dice into the ground, even a reboot of that will prob be complete trash anyways.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Vietnam was not interesting tech wise.
The F4 Phantom was a complete mess when they removed guns from it, and left it with missle only.
The only good thing about it is the introduction of the Huey, however its getting ridiculously more difficult for helicopter play in the game for it to be any real fun.

Korean War was basically a contest between USA and Russia, where Korea paid for it big time and had half its land split.

I want a complete future tech like 2142, give us battle mechs, hover tanks, and pelican gunships/drop ships

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I want a complete future tech like 2142, give us battle mechs, hover tanks, and pelican gunships/drop ships

Been waiting for a 2143 for quite some time. BC2 campaign certainly left room for a BC3 and well 9 years later and still no sequel. I hope that JUST maybe for the tenth year anniversary of BC2 we will be blessed with a BC3. I miss Haggs and sweet Water so much. Sarge is going to be ticked about having his retirement postponed AGAIN!

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Honestly, if it would be anything like the last couple of Battlefield games or the Battlefront series they can keep it. I'm tired of the microtransactions. If they want to charge full price for the game and 30-40 every now and then for a full-featured DLC/expansion then i'm on board. Otherwise, they can shove their RNG "surprise mechanics" right up their a**.

I get that this was about Call of Duty...but to me both franchises have been reduced to momentary cash machines.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The industry has produced multiple Vietnam and Korea games and for whatever reason they never get the record sales of other eras.
I was actually suprised to see WWI games sell as great as they did.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The industry has produced multiple Vietnam and Korea games and for whatever reason they never get the record sales of other eras.
I was actually suprised to see WWI games sell as great as they did.

TBH the most popular WWI game (Bf1) is really a WWII game in terms of tech in most ways. Everyone has a semiauto or auto. If they had made a realistic WWI game it would not have done nearly as well.