Is It The End? Super Delegates Begin To Break

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Story here.

Bloomberg has the tally 103-96 amongst declared Super Delegates, a slim 7 delegate advantage for Clinton. With Super Delegates now breaking for Obama, and his substantial lead in pledged delegates (which even large victories in all remaining states would not even up for Clinton), this race is over.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Her campaign started to crack fully two months ago and the fate of it was sealed on February 5th. She has been fighting a losing battle since with her supporters fleeing in ever-increasing numbers. Bill will not be getting a third term afterall.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Super delegates are not locked in, they can change their mind at any point up to the actual nomination vote. Clinton is not going to back down unless Obama has enough to win plus a sizeable addition-say 10% more-so that it would be impossible for her to win. In my view, barring Clinton being blown out in PA this is going to the convention.

And there is nothing really wrong with that, per se, so long as Clinton restrains herself from poisoning the pond. Obama will continue to prove himself to the American people.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
God I hope its over for her soon. Thank god I'm heading to the mountains of Nepal next Friday until a few days before the PA primary. I don't think I can take much more of her crap.

Now don't get overconfident and jinx it Pabster! Stay humble and hopeful until the fat lady sings.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
It's been over for awhile, but Clinton is gonna drag it out till the end. No problem, I hope it all drags out long as possible. I'd like to see a vote at the convention.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree that Clinton's last remaining hope is with the super delegates. And the super delegates must break substantially her way by much more than a 60 40 split. Were there a substantial number of delegates won by candidates who dropped out of the race, there might be a hope that neither Hillary or Obama could arrive at the convention with less than the half needed to win, but Edwards won far to few to make that less than 50% a realistic hope.

And worse yet for Hillary, Obama appears by far the more electable in the general election. The Hillary I carried the big States argument carries no weight because Obama will carry the blue States anyway. What matter is that Obama is more likely to win the swing states that the general election of 08 will hinge on. And with the rest of the arguments like more popular votes all favoring Obama, it has to look like an Obama democratic nomination is the far more likely outcome.

And with a likely recession looming plus a strong indication Iraq will turn more violent, its not looking good for the GOP or McCain. But with the democratic convention nearly six months away, things could look radically different then. So its somewhat understandable that Hillary soldiers on somehow hoping that a miracle will happen.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I can actually envision a nightmare scenario that ends with one of the candidates winning the nomination by less than 10 delegates, followed by years of contraversy and debate on the outcome... each individual superdelegate will have THAT much more power to decide the nominee.

it's f'n ridiculous.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I can't find it now, but I found a recent article where Clinton outlined a strategy for going over pledged delegates...apparently in a few states, even though the primaries and caucuses are over, there is a second round and even third round of delegate meetings, during which it is possible to sway delegates against the primary or caucus results.

Hillary will fight for the nomination through the end, especially if she wins Pennsylvania.

Only problem is, if this thing drags out to the DNC, it will give McCain all the time he needs to build his own momentum.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. This won't be over until it's over, or if either candidate gets some big surprise victories, like Obama taking Pennsylvania...

I fully expect it to go to the floor of the convention, and might even take several votes, given that some delegates are pledged to candidates who've dropped out...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know what will happen, but I think it would be a good idea for more and more SDs to declare for Obama. The sooner one goes the better and Obama is the leader so it shouldn't be him.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Those G-d-damned small states;). They're like liliputans that just refuse to be silent.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Those G-d-damned small states;). They're like liliputans that just refuse to be silent.

Those freaking latte sippers overriding the will of the working class man (and, more importantly, woman)!