Is it safe to leave electronic gadgets in hot car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
If the car is hot from the sun during the day, can alkali based batteries in gadgets left inside be damaged by heat to the point they would cause fire or something like that? Or that heat will just shorten their life or render them unusable? Is intense cold also able to damage the batteries?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I wouldn't leave it sitting out like on the dash or in the seat. I've accidentally left cellphones on seats of a hot car and the thing would barely function for a while. In the console shaded from the sun is better - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has left ipods in there with no functional degradation.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
About 10 years ago, I left a cell phone in the passenger seat for two hours in 105º heat and the screen went bad. Over 50% of the pixels were stuck white.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I had a Bluetooth GPS receiver and after a long day the battery had actually expanded and tore open the plastic housing.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
My Garmin stays in my car all the time. I've had it for years and no problems from the cold or heat.

If it did die due to temperature extremes it would give me an excuse to finally get a new one with updated maps and a better screen...

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'd be more worried about the potential of a smash and grab than thermal issues, unless you have specific thermally sensitive devices.

All electronics usually have storage temperatures listed on them soemwhere. Anything that can not be stored above 50°C shouldn't be left in the car (and be left to cool, until operating temperature range is reached).

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My Garmin stays in my car all the time. I've had it for years and no problems from the cold or heat.

If it did die due to temperature extremes it would give me an excuse to finally get a new one with updated maps and a better screen...

We leave our Garmin in the car all the time, too, but I think that's the difference between something designed for the temps a closed car's interior sees during the summer....can hit 140F or better....and electronics not designed for such temps, like darned near anything else.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I've never left anything but CDs in the car overnight. On long day trips, I've left GPS' and cameras on the dash. The only reason I stowed them away was to keep them from view (i.e. smash & grab). Personally, I wouldn't do it.

More important may be sunscreen if you keep a bottle in there. Apparently, the hot temperatures kill the effectiveness of it. I've definitely left a bottle or two on the dash or in the cup holders during the peak of summer before.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
We leave our Garmin in the car all the time, too, but I think that's the difference between something designed for the temps a closed car's interior sees during the summer....can hit 140F or better....and electronics not designed for such temps, like darned near anything else.

Good point.

I do not leave it on the dash either, it goes into the center console.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I always put them in either the glove box or the center console. I would not be comfortable leaving them on the seat or up on the windshield.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
My Scanguage is permanently dash mounted and has not had an issue in 2 years. High quality electronics made to handle the abuse won't have an issue. This is the same reason why the OEM screens and such in a car survive.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I wouldn't leave it sitting out like on the dash or in the seat. I've accidentally left cellphones on seats of a hot car and the thing would barely function for a while. In the console shaded from the sun is better - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has left ipods in there with no functional degradation.
I keep an iPod classic 160GB in the glovebox and a Valentine One in the car at all times.
No problems even in stupid Dallas summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.