Is it safe to delete InstallShield Installation Information?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Byte, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Byte

Byte Platinum Member

There is this folder taking up 200MB in my program files. Is this temp or is it needed?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - safe delete InstallShield Forum Date
    What can I safely delete from a fresh Win 7 installation? Operating Systems Jul 25, 2010
    safe to delete old windows xp install directory? Operating Systems Jun 25, 2009
    delete safely Operating Systems Dec 14, 2005
    How do I delete a file in safe mode using the dos prompt? Operating Systems Nov 28, 2004
    which folder safe to delete off? Operating Systems Oct 23, 2004

3. calpha

calpha Golden Member

It depends. YOu need to investigate and see what's there. if the folder is in your Local Settings/Temp Folder, chances are it might be archived MSIs (widnows installers).

You can delete them without any serious consequences......but the reason that they're there (if that's indeed what you're referring to) is most likely to aid you, the user. IE, when I create install packages, I set a flag to copy the entire MSI over to the temp folder and leave it. Thus, the next time a user runs remove, or repair they're not prompted for the cd in most cases.

You can also look at the .log files that are in there. In those log files there'll be an entry called product code (it's a GUID). You can do a registry -search for that product code and see if it even matters.

If it's another folder, then all the above is fluff anyway.