Is it safe to cool my Radeon 8500 with only passive cooling? (Meaning just a heatsink, no fan)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The fan recently stopped working, and I took it off and everything seems to work fine. The heatsink is a large copper low-profile cooler designed to cool a P3. Am I at risk of frying my card? Any info would be great.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
cant you just buy a little fan for the damn thing for a couple bucks? its worth it to make sure the card works, considering a new one could pay for several little fans...

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
ok...i've been up and running now for a few hours with ONLY a heatsink!! :) i underclocked the card to 348mhz (the minimum in rage3d tweak). no artifacts so far, but i am not running games, and the back of the core is very hot to the touch. i'm about to try powerstrip to downclock even further. it would be neat if i could passively cool my entire rig...i would just have to underclock my cpu as well.

i have pics of my 8500 mod if anyone is interested...just let me know your email and i'll send them off to you. with the fan, i managed to get around 315mhz on the core, which is a pretty good overclock from what i hear. i'm planning to put some sinks on the ram as well.

anyhow, thanks everyone for the input.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Maybe something like this would work.
I did also see a website where someone attached an Alpha 6035 to their videocard.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: SickBeast
ok...i've been up and running now for a few hours with ONLY a heatsink!! :) i underclocked the card to 348mhz (the minimum in rage3d tweak). no artifacts so far, but i am not running games, and the back of the core is very hot to the touch. i'm about to try powerstrip to downclock even further. it would be neat if i could passively cool my entire rig...i would just have to underclock my cpu as well.

i have pics of my 8500 mod if anyone is interested...just let me know your email and i'll send them off to you. with the fan, i managed to get around 315mhz on the core, which is a pretty good overclock from what i hear. i'm planning to put some sinks on the ram as well.

anyhow, thanks everyone for the input.

You said you underclocked the core to 348MHz??!!, LOL, that's higher than most 9700's clock to. I think you mean 248MHz right??

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
You can put a slot fan next to the card, to get some air flow around the heatsink. Slot fans are usually nice and quite and move a lot of air.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Gee, don't make it seem so complicated or mysterious. I've been running mine with a "586" style aluminium heatsink for half a year. It is cooler than the original tidgy heatsink and fan. The problem with copper is that unless the fins are very thin and there is airflow it will not dissapate heat very well. If there is already a front case fan then that is more than enough but I would suggest removing the PCI 1 slot cover. I have a front fan that is switched on for gaming because the 8500 is auto o'erclocked for games using Rage3D Tweak.

kurt454

May 30, 2001
Got a backup celeron machine running a sapphire radeon 9000 non pro. It comes with a passive heatsink. Core is at stock 250mhz. The card runs just fine. Use this machine for DVD's, so I don't like a lot of noise.