Is it possible?!

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by cctaylor88, Nov 2, 2012.

1. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

Grapics card: GTX 460
    Motherboard:ASUS M4A87

2. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

Maybe if it was a powered spliter, but never tried it.

I think some do it for TVs but not sure about a monitor or how the computer/VC would react.

3. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

I don't think it will work

4. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

Even if I buy an amplified splitter you dont think I could just have "two" primary monitors (my main/tv) and a secondary monitor? I thought this was the point of a splitter

5. PrincessFrosty

PrincessFrosty Platinum Member

I was considering this myself as I have a similar problem with my GTX 580 and 3 displays.

I believe it will work, although I've not tested it. You will need a signal both devices can accept, so the same resolution and the same refresh rate.

You'll probably find that HDCP, Vsync and a few other things might break as well, things that require essentially 2 way communication between the device and the video card.

6. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

Hm well Im pretty sure that my TV and monitor don't have the same resolution and refresh rate. So am I SOL?

7. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

Well, let's assume the HDMI splitter works. How much would that cost?

Why even bother spending money on an HDMI splitter, when you could spend $9.99 on a second video card and get the functionality you want? I mean, that's the cost of a nice hamburger that you'd eat and crap into the toilet, why not use the money instead to just get a card to do some experimentation? If it doesn't work, you can just eat it and crap it into the toilet...

8. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

I can get a card for $10 that would support hdmi connection to a TV?

9. TemjinGold

TemjinGold Platinum Member

That you can crap into a toilet apparently.

10. Termie

Termie Diamond Member

I use an hdmi splitter for my PS3, but to drive one tv and one av amp that has hdmi handshake problems with the tv (early gen equipment). It cost about $70, and it is in fact designed to output to two monitors. But it will only mirror, so the resolution would have to be the same. If you need a link to the product, just post that below.

11. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

Well I wouldnt spend $70 on a splitter or anything like that, so seriously if I installed a new video card specifically to use for my TV (adding a third device) what is the best route to go?

12. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

Newegg has a 6450 card for $25 AR right now.

A GT610 should be kinda cheap as well if you are anti-ATI/AMD, cheaper than a good splitter I would think.

EDIT
    Opps you only have 1 16x port. Have to get a PCI card to do what you want.

#12 Jimzz, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Member

What do you mean I only have 1 16x port what is that? And whats a PCI...thanks

Im not anti-anything as long as it gets the job done. But if I can buy a gpu that would support my TV over a splitter for the same cost wouldnt it be better to do that